View Full Version : Ice Sk8s Mounting -Allignment, Crucial Fact

zerio
01-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Hi List

Ive read many many articles about it, but, here we find the chance to interact and clarify things.

I understand the boots shall be mounted 2/3 mms INWARDS. From my understanding the inwards allignment brings the blade parallel to an imaginary cetered line( right?).. its not only a twist on the toe area bringing the blade 2/3 mm inward which would place the blades not parallel to that imaginary centered line (which corresponds the longest outsole lenght). Is it correct? In another words, shall the blades be mounted inwards 2/3 in all its leght parallel to the imaginary centered or just the toe area should be moved 2/3mm inwards?

As far as I understand allignment is crucial... please, share your experiences with us. If any illustration, let us know the link.

Thanks.

Zerio

Beccapoo2003
01-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi,
I am not a professional, but have been through a lot regarding this issue.
I agree that blade alignment is crucial. I think it depends on where your own natural center of balance occurs. For instance, I'm a bit bowlegged and tend to supinate (walk on the outside edges of my feet) and have to mount the blades more towards the outside of the boot. Otherwise, it's almost impossibe to skate without falling to the outside. If you look at the wear on the bottom of an old pair of your shoes, it should indicate how you naturally tend to balance. (hopefully, I haven't made this even more confusing)!
Becca

zerio
01-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi,
I am not a professional, but have been through a lot regarding this issue.
I agree that blade alignment is crucial. I think it depends on where your own natural center of balance occurs. For instance, I'm a bit bowlegged and tend to supinate (walk on the outside edges of my feet) and have to mount the blades more towards the outside of the boot. Otherwise, it's almost impossibe to skate without falling to the outside. If you look at the wear on the bottom of an old pair of your shoes, it should indicate how you naturally tend to balance. (hopefully, I haven't made this even more confusing)!
Becca

Thanks. No confusing at all... I see it does depend on personal preferences and other issues but most of the allignment is found at this phrase: "The general consensus is that the blade should be placed between your big toe and the toe next to it and IN THE CENTRE OF THE HEEL" - source at http://www.skating-world.com/hints.htm

My blades are off centered on the heels...guess Ill need to remount them.

Hope it also helps others.

Thanks

Zerio

phoenix
01-20-2007, 01:59 PM
zerio--

i wouldn't mess with your blade alignment unless you're having issues. Are you able to get, and hold/control, all your edges both forward and backward? If so, DO NOT move your blades. Where they're supposed to be is where they work for you. Don't move them just because you read somewhere that they should be mounted a certain way.

If you're having trouble with edges, moving a blade by as little as 1/16 inch can make a big difference, so don't do anything drastic at first.

zerio
01-20-2007, 02:18 PM
zerio--

i wouldn't mess with your blade alignment unless you're having issues. Are you able to get, and hold/control, all your edges both forward and backward? If so, DO NOT move your blades. Where they're supposed to be is where they work for you. Don't move them just because you read somewhere that they should be mounted a certain way.

If you're having trouble with edges, moving a blade by as little as 1/16 inch can make a big difference, so don't do anything drastic at first.

This is the problem..I have been totally out of control... and have not this problem with inline figure skates ( which is new for me)...the person who had done it for me knows nothing about skating..of course at 46 yo after years without daily practicing I dont expect to go out and do double axel..( maybe a double fall...LOL)..neither have I been trying to find somehow to justify the obstacles on my skatinng...but since Ive changed my boots the nitemare started..Imight remount my old WIFAs...and have them strecthed out...(as you may know they are xtremily narrow) ..SPTeri Deluxe570 are my new ones.. hard as rock..impossible to break in when I have all those issues...I would hate to have my beautiful shoes drilled for the 3rd time...to get the best allignment... better get new blades..I need them anyway and mount them on the new ones instead.. One more thing ...the blades are not perpendicular to the outsole...this is because I force to compensate the misallingment.,...and htis may explain why the outside area of my uper ankles get wounded...theres more atrict there to compensate it...so..I guess I have no alternative..I really cannot find the edges, cant spin...and on the top the blades are too short for the boots....the present boots outsole is 11-1/4 lenght and my gold star is 10-3/4... the wifa has higher heels so it was not necessary to have 11 1/4 outsole to fit in my feet comfortably in the lenght...but the width has always been a problem...and as we age it seems that we grow sideways only...LOL...so have my feet...

I really appreciate it..Ive been dwelling with this problem since Ive replaced my boots... but all of this has been good because Ive got the chance to learn more from each of you for we always have something to learn , thats for sure.

Thanks a lot Phoenix. Thank yall.:bow:

ZERIO

miraclegro
01-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Try to be sure you don't need orthodics inside your boot, first. Then deal with the blade. Just a suggestion from a "pronating" friend.

Casey
01-21-2007, 12:50 AM
I had a misalignment with the right boot on my old skates, and didn't know it until I got new skates and suddenly could balance better on it. But it's apparently not an easy fix - a friend of mine just got new custom skates but is having a big issue getting one of his skates to feel correct because the blade feels misaligned. His ankles bend really funny - I think because his arches are collapsed in his feet...so that complicates things. But he had them moved a few different times, and is still trying to work out a good solution - it seems that moving the entire blade farther inside or outside didn't really make much difference, but the last thing he tried was moving the heel one way and the toe the other and that seemed to be working the best. It can be kinda counterintuitive too I think so try moving the opposite way if the first way doesn't help or just makes it worse.

Problem is you have to be kinda careful because every time you put a new screw hole in you're risking more damage, but after an adjustment, go and try to hold a straight line with one foot on the ice and the other lifted in front, arm in front of you and hands touching - if you can't hold it straight the blade might need to move - that's how I was able to tell...

Good luck.