View Full Version : What's the deduction for music too long?

phoenix
01-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Do anyone know offhand how large the deduction is for your music being too long? And, if it is too long, does the deduction increase if it's *really* over time?

For AN, the max is 1:40. Then we will take my music & re-cut it to 2:00, which is what I need for Lake Placid.

There's simply no way to nicely cut my music at 1:40, so we've decided I'll make the cut at 1:45 (the logical point), and take the deduction whatever it may be. But if I'm getting a dedction anyway, can I just go whole hog, cut it to the 2:00 it needs to be for Lake Placid, and be done with it? Will they stop the music at some point & tell me to get the *&^% off the ice?

WeirFan06
01-19-2007, 10:07 PM
There's simply no way to nicely cut my music at 1:40, so we've decided I'll make the cut at 1:45 (the logical point), and take the deduction whatever it may be.

I'm pretty new at this, so I could be wrong, but I think they don't officially "start the clock" until you start moving. That's the way it is for the kids doing standard usfsa competitions anyway. (I only know that because a few years ago my coach made a boo boo with one of her kids programs before a comp, and the kid had to stand there for like 15 seconds before she moved!) So if you had music that's 1:45, and then stood in your opening position for 5 seconds before you actually started moving you would probably be ok.

Like I said, I could very well be wrong, so if somebody tells you differently and they sound like they know what they're talking about... it's probably better to listen to them!!!

Oh, and as for the actual deduction, I'm not sure about any of that. But I don't think they'll stop your music or anything like that when they realize it's going long. Good Luck!

doubletoe
01-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Under the new judging system it's something like 1 point deduction for every 5 seconds over time, and I think the rule is pretty similar under 6.0 (i.e., the number of seconds over time DOES count).

But you can speed up the whole piece by 5 seconds to bring it from 1:45 to 1:40 and it won't be that noticeable. That's what I did with my music. (Music editing software rocks!) Also, wait 2 seconds before actually starting to move, since they start the clock as soon as you move a body part and stop the clock when you stop moving entirely. Starting 2 seconds late will save you if you end up a little behind your music and end 2 seconds late.

NickB
01-19-2007, 10:16 PM
The deduction is 0.1 from each mark for every ten seconds over the maximum time (see 3516 A, p. 549 in the current rulebook) so if your program was 1:45 it would be a 0.1 deduction from the technical and 0.1 from the presentation/program components mark. If it was 2:00 I think it would be 0.2 off each mark. Also, anything completed after the maximum time won't be marked. They wouldn't stop your music though.

I understand and feel for your predicament though, because last year the collegiate equivalent of preliminary, which would be the event I would've competed in (since it's the lowest level) had a 2 minute program for some reason while my program was 1:40, which would be acceptable for a standard preliminary program but not for the collegiate program. I decided not to compete my program at the collegiate competitions for that reason, although it wouldn't have really mattered because I had no competition and would've only done an exhibition if I had chosen to. This year the requirements changed to match the standard preliminary length of 1:30 +/- 10 seconds so I can compete my 1:39 pre-bronze program without a deduction (and am competing next month-- hopefully there is some competition this year!).

Isk8NYC
01-19-2007, 11:13 PM
For ISI, the old rule was that timing began when the skater's feet moved from the starting spot.

The ISI changed the timing rule to stop the artistic time-wasting where skaters stood there for 20 seconds waving their arms. Now, music timing begins when the skater makes any movement at all, even a finger.

Some music editing programs can change the tempo/speed. Perhaps you can "make the music" fit with that approach?

<ETA: DUH! I saw "Lake Placid" and immediately thought ISI. Nevermind.>

Tessa
01-23-2007, 08:28 PM
So if I read this right -- my music for what I HOPE will be my proggie is 1:43 -- I'm okay as long as I don't move for the first few seconds?

Coach is giving me word tomorrow on whether or not she likes the cut I gave her.

doubletoe
01-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Yes, that's correct. But then you absolutely have to be at a full stop--with no wobbling, arm movements, or anything, by the time your music ends. I'd speed the whole thing up by 2 seconds to give yourself a little wiggle room, even if you wait 3 seconds in your starting position.

phoenix
01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I can't speed it up, because I'm doing this as an OD, & have to skate in time w/ the music, and it's plenty fast as it is!! I'll cut it to the 1:45 for AN, and just take the deduction. (choreographer has movement from first notes)

Tessa
01-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks everyone. After listening to my music, coach wants me to cut first 10-12 seconds off so I'm in the clear.

lovepairs
01-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Phoenix,

I think everyone is right when they say that they don't start the clock until you begin to move. However, when your time is up they will blow a whistle, while your music is still playing. I'm mentioning this just so that you won't be jarred if you hear this...just finish your program. Just keep in mind that you are not only skating for the "competition" and "judges," but for yourself and the audience, too.

I know, it is so hard to recut music. We have to cut our music down, too, right after Nationals and change the choreography, because we plan to take the Intermediate Pairs test at that time. At the outset the music is 3:10 for this test, while our competition time for the Pairs Championship event is 3:40. Thirty seconds is a lot of time and choreography on the ice. You would have thunk that someone would have coordinated the testing and competition music times to be exactly the same!?*&^%&%(*&^%%%*%^*^&%&%%

phoenix
01-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Thank you! I'm really glad you mentioned that!!