View Full Version : Which blade is the best?

lillia
01-16-2007, 05:33 PM
From what I've seen here on this page, most of the skaters use MK-blades.
In my club almost everyone of the better skaters use Wilson's Patter 99..
Why is that?
Is MK better?:??

doubletoe
01-16-2007, 05:45 PM
From what I've seen here on this page, most of the skaters use MK-blades.
In my club almost everyone of the better skaters use Wilson's Patter 99..
Why is that?
Is MK better?:??

It depends what level you're at and what your objectives are. 8-foot radius blades like Pattern 99's and Gold Seals (both Wilson) are usually preferred by advanced skaters who are already strong spinners and want a little more speed in their stroking and stability on jump landings. 7-foot radius blades (like all of the MK blades except the Comet) are generally easier to spin on, but don't provide quite as much speed due to less blade surface on the ice. They are also provide slightly less stability on jump landings, but if you aren't doing triple jumps, that's not a big issue.

dbny
01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
There is no such thing as "the best" blade. Wilson and MK are now one and the same company, and the blades are comparable, as they were before the takeover. In the US, the Wilson Coronation Ace is the most popular freestyle blade. Pattern 99s are popular too, but some find it more difficult to spin on them as they are a tad closer to the ice and have a larger rocker than the other very popular high end freestyle blade, the Wilson Gold Seal.

TimDavidSkate
01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
For me, Gold Seal :halo:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001L5KC6.01-ADQEOYOXS56GT._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

doubletoe
01-16-2007, 07:28 PM
The rocker for the Gold Seal and the Pattern 99 are actually the same. Both are 8'. However, the stanchion on the Pattern 99 is lower so you are closer to the ice. Some people like it while others find it hard to get used to.

Casey
01-16-2007, 07:45 PM
For me, Gold Seal :halo:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001L5KC6.01-ADQEOYOXS56GT._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Ditto here. But it's a very personal matter that depends on weight, skating style and speed, skill level, and simply, how much money you feel like spending on skating...

There's no one universal answer, or everyone would buy the same blade. Students often tend to buy what their coach or rink pro shop recommends, which is why you'll see a lot of the same blades at a particular rink.

froggy
01-16-2007, 09:28 PM
i love my coronation ace!

i went to a very popular pro shop that has a cliental base from all over NY including Sara Hughs who bought from him. He recommended for me coronation aces (I'm working on singles), the next level up would be the more advanced skaters -going onto triples who usually buy gold seals. of course there are many skaters out there whom i met who dont even have all their singles and bought gold seals, but I was told gold seals would be too much for my level and to stick with coronation ace.

russiet
01-17-2007, 05:51 AM
i love my coronation ace!

i went to a very popular pro shop that has a cliental base from all over NY including Sara Hughs who bought from him. He recommended for me coronation aces (I'm working on singles), the next level up would be the more advanced skaters -going onto triples who usually buy gold seals. of course there are many skaters out there whom i met who dont even have all their singles and bought gold seals, but I was told gold seals would be too much for my level and to stick with coronation ace.

When blade hunting last summer, I decided that either Coronation Ace or MK Pros would be fine for me. Probably for the rest of my figure skating life.

I ended up buying the MK's. No particular reason. Perhaps I liked the name better (certainly easier than C.A.).

Petlover
01-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I spent 8 years on Coronation Comets, and liked them, however the 1 foot spin has always been a challenge. I switched to MK Professionals a couple of weeks ago, and am extremely pleased, the edge going into my 1 foot spin works well now. Since I will probably never do more than single jumps (I am 50+), I will probably stay with MK Professionals.

coskater64
01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I use the pattern 99 k-pick for free skate and the MK dance for...well... dance. Not at all helpful.:twisted: