View Full Version : Bunga vs Silipos for ankle padding? vs Bunheads for toes?

Skittl1321
01-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I have started skating barefoot which has allevated all of the issues my feet were having with numbing and eventualy loss of feeling. In my opinion, this is a very good thing.

However, the tops of my boots are wearing sore spots onto the outside of each ankle. My coach, and a friend on livejournal, suggest I look into Bunga ankle sleeves. My heel also slips a bit when my feet get really sweaty, and I was told this might also help that.

However, Bunga is really expensive! I found Silipos and it isn't too much of a price difference- which means it probably isn't a BAD product- but it is enough of a difference that I wanted to look into it. Do you know anything about their product as they compare to Bunga?

I also need to get a toe protector for my big toe, as that is rubbing a blister, that doesn't really bother me- but it does make my foot look ugly. I noticed Bunga has gel tubing for toes, but it's a lot more expensive than Bunheads- a brand I used for ballet (but don't have anymore of). I figured I'd go with Bunheads again unless someone with experience with both can tell me why Bunga is much better.

phoenix
01-14-2007, 10:27 AM
In my experience the Bunga brand outlasts the others by at least a factor of 3 or 4. I have a Bunga that is at least 5 years old, meanwhile I've replaced its Silipo mate 3 times in that time frame. (my pro shop no longer carries the Bunga brand)

I used Bunheads for awhile, they worked great. Never tried the Bunga counterpart, so don't know. And I didn't need to wear it for years & years, so I don't know about the longevity; though those aren't so expensive. I think I paid $7 for a whole bunch of them.

Skittl1321
01-14-2007, 11:05 AM
That's what i needed to hear.

I'll be going with Bunga for the ankles and bunheads for the toes!

dbny
01-14-2007, 12:12 PM
If your toe problem is not at the tip, you could try what I've been doing. I bought a roll of cloth medical tape on a scotch tape style dispenser. I just tear off a bit and press it onto the top of my big toe. It usually stays (even through showers) for about 3 days. I use the same thing on my ankle at the top of the boot, and that one stays even longer.

Skittl1321
01-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks for that idea. That might work too- right now I'm using band-aids, and they work- but I'm sure going through a ton. Medical tape might work better- with my big toe the spot is on the top of the joint- I'm just worried that if I wrap tape, then it will create another spot from the rubbing, but it's worth the try before spending $50+ on pads

phoenix
01-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I've done the tape thing in the past too, and while it works, it HURTS to take the tape off!! My skin was always a little raw & sore, espec. on my ankles....and make sure you're clean shaven, or you'll be doing your own in-house version of waxing.....'nuff said. 8O

dbny
01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks for that idea. That might work too- right now I'm using band-aids, and they work- but I'm sure going through a ton. Medical tape might work better- with my big toe the spot is on the top of the joint- I'm just worried that if I wrap tape, then it will create another spot from the rubbing, but it's worth the try before spending $50+ on pads

I have the same problem spot on my R big toe and I don't wrap the toe at all, I just put a patch on top.

I've done the tape thing in the past too, and while it works, it HURTS to take the tape off!! My skin was always a little raw & sore, espec. on my ankles....and make sure you're clean shaven, or you'll be doing your own in-house version of waxing.....'nuff said. 8O

It doesn't hurt me to remove the tape because I wait until it works its way off or loosens up on its own. Haven't shaved my legs in over 30 years :lol:. My body hair is light colored and sparse, and my DH is Hispanic. We don't care :twisted:

I use Nexcare Durable Cloth Tape in the 3/4" width. I'm hoping that my skin will toughen under the tape and I can eventually stop using it. The only problem with that is figuring out when to try going without. My initial blister on the big toe made me miserable, not to mention the raw patch above my ankle. I'm not eager to endure those again. Maybe I'll choose a time when I can check things out in 15 minute intervals, and bring the tape with me just in case.

teresa
01-14-2007, 09:32 PM
I vote for the Bungas too. My experience is that they last much longer and are a better product. Pay more initially but they last much longer and hold their shape and cush better. They spring back after use while the other product doesn't.

teresa