View Full Version : Nancy Kerrigan's Countdown to Nationals

momjudi
01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't know if anyone saw this show which is being syndicated on ABC and other networks over the next two weeks. The program was advertised as a discussion of the competitors for this year's Nationals and the "panel of experts" would give their picks for gold, silver and bronze. Sounds like a good idea until they got to the topic of the men. Instead of discussing which skater (Weir, Lysacek, Smith) was skating the best, had the best program, best captured the mood of the music, had the best jumps etc, all three experts decided to bash Johnny Weir. Mark Lund in particular was very nasty, his comments had nothing to do with Weir's skating ability but more to do with Lund's own homophobic behavior. He criticized Weir skating to a program called "Child of Nazareth" but had no comment that Evan Lysacek is skaking to "The Last Temptation of Christ". He and his other panel experts said Weir's Swan was a big mistake neglecting that the program was second place in the Olympics and the same program Oksana Baui skated to in her Olympics. I could go on but I won't, just want your opinions.

Nicki
01-10-2007, 01:00 AM
I watched "Reflections Off the Ice" last Sunday, and like you was extremely irritated by the way the three hosts of the show treated Johnny Weir. Their behavior was totally unprofessional. It was like watching a group of Junior High kids making fun of another classmate.

Mark Lund and Nancy Kerrigan seemed to feel that Johnny didn't deserve to win Natioals this year, because he had won the past three years, and it was time for a change. They wanted Evan to win, because in their opinion his style of skating is more classic, and will appeal to more people than Johnny's. Both Nancy and Mark know that Figure skating dosen't work that way, so why make such ignorant comments?

When Mark went on to say that he didn't need to see a skater win who was "half in" half out", and the other two hosts basically agreed with him I felt that the show crossed the line. Not only is this type of comment hurtful to Johnny, it has absolutely no bearing on weather or not he will medal at Nationals.

A show discussing U.S. Nationals is great idea, but if it's done again, they need to choose more professional hosts.

Isk8NYC
01-10-2007, 07:42 AM
I agree; they got sidetracked by Johnny Weir. It really didn't add much to the program. Nor did the Michelle Kwan pseudo-tribute - it didn't answer any questions or even include first-hand information on what Michelle's plans are for the future.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sasha Cohen decide to NOT skate the Nationals this year? If so, why were they all saying that she's a long shot if she decides to "show up" for the Nationals? (Maybe the program was pre-recorded before the announcement.)

One last note: Nancy gave a skating tip for the double axel - breathe in on the way up and exhale upon landing. I had two students try it last night, one on the loop jump, the other on a double sal and single axel. Both said it really helps because you straighten up.