View Full Version : Pictures and Autographs

Isk8NYC
01-08-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm not much of an obnoxious fan, but my kids love to collect autographs.

How does one get pictures and/or autographs from skaters at shows and competitions? (TimDavid: you seem to be a master at this!)

Is it just "buy VIP/Rinkside seats" or are there other ways?

mikawendy
01-08-2007, 07:14 PM
If it's a small local show, sometimes you can just ask them in the hallway. I was just at a Nationals sendoff show, and they had an event afterwards where people could get autographs, plus skaters were signing in the lobby. It was a really exciting show (Derrick Delmore rocked, as usual! and so did the other skaters). We didn't stay for the autograph portion b/c we had dragged my friend's hubby along. One little girl came up to me and asked me if I had skated. I had skated that day, but not in that show :lol: :lol: :lol: .

TimDavidSkate
01-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm not much of an obnoxious fan, but my kids love to collect autographs.

How does one get pictures and/or autographs from skaters at shows and competitions? (TimDavid: you seem to be a master at this!)

Is it just "buy VIP/Rinkside seats" or are there other ways?

:halo: :lol: During practices Angelo and I spot a seat where its near the skater's exit and out of the way from other skaters who still are practicing. Then we call them over after they bow. Or after the medal ceremony, we just yell to them to come over :D

Other tactic we hang around where skater's enter the VIP arena entrance or find a way to or somebody to get us backstage 8-)

Isk8NYC
01-09-2007, 11:08 AM
When we saw Stars on Ice a few years ago, we waited outside the skater's exit with about five other people. Grand total of ten people and not a single skater would sign an autograph. They waved and got on the bus.

Have to try and stake out the entrance next time. Thanks, Tim.

TimDavidSkate
01-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Next Skate America trip - hang with us, we'll go picture crazy ;)

Isk8NYC
01-10-2007, 07:48 AM
I saw "Ice" at Radio City many years ago when I was dating my now-DH. After the show, we went to catch a subway. Suddenly, my boyfriend yells out 'Hey Toller!' and catches up to him to ask for an autograph on the program! Afterwards he admitted that he just did it to impress me because he knew Toller Kranston was one of my favorite skaters. Sweet.

Other than that episode, we're pretty much polite-applause fans.

Sparkey
01-13-2007, 07:50 PM
I took the kids to see Skate America in Springfield, Mass back about 10 years ago. It was so poorly attended that the tv camera crews asked us to move down to the lower seats so the arena wouldn't look so empty. The kids just walked up to the skaters while they were warming up off-ice and got autographs--Alexi Yagudin was relatively unknown, but they got his autograph without knowing for another year or two who he was...Todd Eldridge was world champion then, and Michelle was world champion, but were very approachable. Only Urmanov refused at first---"AFTER I skate!"...

A year or so later we went to worlds in Minneapolis, and just walked up to Plushenko (I think it was his first international) for pictures and autographs.

Tigger
01-19-2007, 12:47 AM
I have never, ever, heard of anyone having a bad experience meeting Todd Eldridge. I just wish I could say I was among them. :( One of the few of my favourite skaters I've never met. Thanks to my Dad, Todd is known as Toddy Bear in this house. Don't ask why, but it's stuck. :o

For Canadian eligible skaters, always try sending them a letter c/o of Skate Canada in Ottawa. I don't have the address handy, but you'll be able to find it over at Skateweb fairly easily I'd think. That is if you're interested in getting one from any of the Cdn skaters. :)

Binky
01-19-2007, 04:15 PM
The one year I was lucky enough to go to SOI, we stayed at the same hotel as the skaters (fairly easy to figure out, it was connected by a walkway to the arena!), and I got a couple of autographs in the lobby...I could've gotten more but was too shy to approach them. (That was also where I saw a *major* name in pairs skating picking his nose while sitting on a sofa LOLOL)

Just to second what Tigger said, Todd Eldredge is really gracious to his fans. That night of SOI when we got to the arena (as early as they'd let us in), we took our seats, and I glanced over to see who this guy was all slunk back in a seat talking on a cell phone. It was Todd Eldredge. I turned around to my mom, and I'm doing that hissy-whisper thing "Oh. My. God. It's Todd Eldredge."

My mom knows I'm like an uber-fan of his, and that I'd only end up drooling on my shoes if *I* approached him, so she waited for him to end the call and then went over and asked him to sign my program. He chatted with her for a minute, signed the program, and then laughed and said he guessed he'd better get back stage as there were only a few minutes to show time. He couldn't have been nicer.

BatikatII
01-19-2007, 06:26 PM
At Worlds in Dortmund, we got loads of photos and autographs simply by hanging around near where the skaters entered their warm up area. I have pictures with Johnny Weir (lovely guy! he wrote some encouraging words for my daughter who skates), chatted with the whole of Brian Joubert's entourage (he was buying sweets!) while getting piccies and autographs - he even signed my friends back (not shirt - actual skin!):lol:

Several skaters held signing sessions for pics including the Bulgarian dancers and Stephan Lambiel. We went walkabout during ice cuts and ran into Stephan warming up by running around the 3rd floor of the (circular) building. Some of the less well known skaters were thrilled to be asked for an autograph.

It didn't matter if they didnt' speak English either. Daisuke was a sweetie too though I can't understand what he wrote! Sandhu was on a high when I got his as he'd done so well but sadly it didn't last.

Really the only skater it was difficult to get access to was Plushenko who tended to keep himself to himself and not wander through the mixed area at all. We did end up sitting behind him on the tram home though! Nearly all the rest were more than happy to talk to fans and pose with them for photos. I was surprised it was so easy to meet them all.

babyballerina
01-26-2007, 09:10 AM
At Worlds in Dortmund, we got loads of photos and autographs simply by hanging around near where the skaters entered their warm up area. I have pictures with Johnny Weir (lovely guy! he wrote some encouraging words for my daughter who skates), chatted with the whole of Brian Joubert's entourage (he was buying sweets!) while getting piccies and autographs - he even signed my friends back (not shirt - actual skin!):lol:

I have a photo of Brian at the sweet stall in Dortmund too. So either he was gorging himself on the pick 'n' mix every day or we were both there at the same time. I also have a really nice photo of my friend with Johnny. Generally I am too shy to ask but my friend definitley wasn't!

Dortmund worlds was a particularily low-to-zero security event (note the crazy guy on the ice before Michelle skated) and especially at practises there was hardly anyone there and the skaters were just in the general area with the public. Turin Olympics was the exact opposite with the fans very high up from the rink and the skaters unreachable. Just because of the knee-whack incident I imagine US events are much more high security than elsewhere, plus ome US skaters have a very high profile.

BatikatII
02-11-2007, 04:56 PM
A quick addition

I finally got Plushenko's autograph - or rather daughter did and I took a piccie of them together. This was at the Olympians on Ice show at Coventry (UK). Great show too!

Lots of the skaters signed autographs afterwards as they were getting on their bus to go. Shae-Lynn Bourne was very sweet and John and Sinead Kerr stayed and chatted with our group of kids from our skating club for a while, as they were driving back to Scotland so didn't have to go on the bus. They are so friendly and obviously enjoy the attention!

and I finally got a picture and autographs of Povilas Vanagas and Margarita Drobiazko (sp?).

Unfortunately one of the kids was desperate to get Phillipe Candeloro's autograph but the bus was leaving and the driver would not wait - not the skaters' fault but a shame she missed him.

several others too.

Tigger
02-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Congrats on all of those!!

Shame about Phillipe. I may not like his Pro numbers, but he is great w/the kids. Saw that for myself during Elvis' last tour behind the Sudbury Arena a few years ago. Say what you might about his skating, but he was fantastic w/the fans that night. Especially the little ones. :)

Oracle
02-12-2007, 01:00 PM
I've always gotten autographs in the hotel lobby where the skaters were housed. It's helpful to find out if the bus will pick them up in the morning or at night after the show.

MQSeries
02-12-2007, 03:32 PM
To all the adult autographs seekers ... do you guys feel odd at all approaching skaters for their autographs?

Lenny2
02-13-2007, 02:01 PM
When the kids were younger and interested in skaters' autographs after seeing Stars on Ice or Champions on Ice, we would wait behind the arena in the area where the buses were waiting to take the skaters away after the show. Sometimes, they would come out and sign autographs. We got autographs from everyone you can think of this way. We even got Michelle Kwan.

Of course, the absolute best way is to go to a "meet and greet" before the show. Most shows offer these events for a premium price in each city. They aren't usually advertised, but, if you call the arena where the event is being held, you might be able to find out how to get tickets. These are only for the commercial tours--not for Skate America or other competitive events. The best way to get photos and autographs at competitive events is to buy all-event passes and attend the practice sessions. You can usually sit up close and get autographs after the skaters finish practicing. Or call your local skating club and offer to volunteer to help if a large, competitive event comes to your area. You could end up driving skaters to the airport or working as an ice monitor on a practice session.

Oracle
02-14-2007, 11:25 AM
To all the adult autographs seekers ... do you guys feel odd at all approaching skaters for their autographs?

I did at first & only did it because a friend pushed me to do it but after that I just asked & pretended the skater tho't I was collecting autographs for my grandchildren.