View Full Version : Hilton Family Gymnastics and Skating Show *SPOILERS*

Isk8NYC
01-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I watched this madness that I recorded who-knows-when. The gymnastics programs were very different from what we typically see in their competitions. The skating was great, as I would expect from Disson and Hilton on TV. I liked the show a lot.

Interesting footnote: Hilton Hotels (http://hiltonfamily0.henfast.com/spectacular/) has this note on their website:
In case you missed the show when it aired on NBC, you have the opportunity to view the Hilton Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular in room at participating Hilton Family hotels in the U.S. The film is available for in room viewing from February 1, 2006 through May 31, 2006. This film is available at hotels with the LodgeNet system. Please ask the hotel about system availability upon check in.

I absolutely *loved* Vladamir Besedin & Oleksiy Polishuk, who did the gymnastic skating routine. It was funny, interesting, and boy are those guys strong!

Brian Orser was great, but somehow I felt like I had seen this routine somewhere before - I think watching so much skating in too short a time makes everything blend together.

Michael Weiss' skating was awesome. I wonder if there were retakes. Having recently seen "Fashion on Ice" in person, I learned that these made-for-TV specials involve after-show retakes.

I'm curious about a skater named Rory Flack Burghardt. I don't know anything about her - any info?

Debbie S
01-07-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm curious about a skater named Rory Flack Burghardt. I don't know anything about her - any info?She competed at U.S. Nationals for a while in the 1980s. She never made the World team - I think I heard that she was around 10th or so each year. She married an Austrian men's singles skater (I think he was the nat'l champ?) and they moved to Alaska and they coach - actually, I think hubby is the coach and Rory does the choreo. One of their students is competing in Novice Men at U.S. Nats later this month - his name is Keegan Messing, and he skated very well at the Liberty comp in PA in July.

Rory made a comeback of sorts when she competed in some of the pro comps in the mid 90s, and she's been a regular on some of the Disson shows since then.

Lark
01-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Rory was also on "Ice Wars" or something recently. I cannot remember exactly, I just remember seeing her skate in the last 2 months on TV.

Off topic, I just lucked upon Michael Weiss' site ( www.michaelweiss.org ), and it seemed really quite interesting. :)

UDsk8coach
04-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Rory has also made an appearence at Ice World in Abingdon. Her husband is friends w another Austrailian coach (based out of UD). I've seen Rory, she's sweet to chat with.