View Full Version : Holiday Festival on Ice 06 *SPOILERS*

Artemis
12-13-2006, 06:15 PM
The 2006 show will be broadcast on CBC on the 21st at 9:00, repeating on Christmas Day at 2:00.

I just wish they'd repeat some of the previous years' shows. Now that I have a DVD recorder I'd love to have the older programs on disc instead of VHS (I can always transfer to VHS, of course, but the quality won't be as good).

Isk8NYC
12-28-2006, 08:53 AM
I watched this last night and deleted it from the recorder. While some of the skating was wonderful, there wasn't enough to keep my interest.

Nancy Kerrigan must have gotten the script 10 minutes before they started recording; her readings were so stiff and disjointed. Did she skate at all, or just sit and read?

I liked the fire-juggler (didn't we have one of those around here at some point?) and his pairs partner. Very acrobatic, but some of their tricks were terrifying.

Since I didn't know anyone but Brian Orser and Nancy Kerrigan, can I assume this was a Canadian benefit skating show? That would explain the nervousness I saw.

It seemed very edited, as if they had combined several shows' filming into one final broadcast. Towards the end, it was very choppy-feeling.

Silver Lining
12-28-2006, 09:28 PM
That show was listed as "Holiday Festival on Ice" in some TV Guides but it was actually titled "Holiday on Ice: Under the Desert Sky" and I believe took place November 26 & 26 in Phoenix.

Artemis
01-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Nancy Kerrigan must have gotten the script 10 minutes before they started recording; her readings were so stiff and disjointed. Did she skate at all, or just sit and read?

Ok, that must have been a totally different show. Holiday Festival on Ice is an annual Canadian show (with a mostly Canadian cast) that's a cut above the average special -- mostly because they don't do too much dorky themed stuff, and focus mostly on the individual programs. This year's show included Brian Orser, Jamie & David, Angela, Shawn Sawyer, Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir, Jen Robinson, Jeff Buttle, and Gary Beacom (can't remember anyone else -- although I think Oksana was in it to but was chacked from the CBC broadcast).

It aired on CBC; in past years I think one of the American networks has picked it up too but I didn't spot it this year.

Isk8NYC
01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
I'll keep an eye out for the one you're describing. "Holiday Festival on Ice" sounds wonderful and I would love to see it sometime.

Sorry for the mixup - I thought it was the same show. This is the first year I've really been able to be a spectator, thanks to my DVR.

Artemis
01-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Just remembered a question I wanted ask earlier: does anyone know who was singing the version of "River" that Jeff skated to? It was a guy, and not many guys cover that song. I know James Taylor has a version of it, but it definitely wasn't him.

TIA

Tennisany1
01-10-2007, 12:27 AM
...This year's show included Brian Orser, Jamie & David, Angela, Shawn Sawyer, Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir, Jen Robinson, Jeff Buttle, and Gary Beacom (can't remember anyone else -- although I think Oksana was in it to but was chacked from the CBC broadcast)....

Was Oksana the blonde that came on for the final bow? I couldn't figure out who is was and I was sure it wasn't Joannie.

I didn't think the show was a good this year. I loved Jeff's program to The River, and Brian is always fun to watch, but the rest was a little blah. Even S&P didn't seem up to their usual standards. I have never seen Angela before and I was underwelmed by her performance although it is hard to judge as the rink looks quite small. It was interesting to see Jeff and Shawn. I played them one after the other when I watched the recording and IMHO Jeff is definately in a class all his own. Shawn is great but he doesn't have the smoothness and polish of Jeff.

Yikes, it was a Christmas special, I shouldn't be so negative!