View Full Version : Vocals in LP music?

Lark
11-13-2006, 01:36 PM
I was watching Fumie Suguri at Skate Canada, and could not help but hear what sounded like vocals in her LP music.

It sounded like Japanese (I know I was not mistaken).

Is it okay to have vocals in your music as long as it is not English??? :roll:

iceskater26
11-13-2006, 06:59 PM
I was watching Fumie Suguri at Skate Canada, and could not help but hear what sounded like vocals in her LP music.

It sounded like Japanese (I know I was not mistaken).

Is it okay to have vocals in your music as long as it is not English??? :roll:

I'm pretty sure vocals are not allowed. I also watched Fumie's program. I wonder if there's a decduction if you have vocals in the LP, or have they changed the rules?

dbny
11-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Chanting is allowed. I don't know what her music was, but I suppose it could have been considered chanting.

Lark
11-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Chanting is allowed. I don't know what her music was, but I suppose it could have been considered chanting.

I definitely consider Fumie's LP music to contain sung words.

If it were "chanting", which I still consider vocals, it was a sung chanting, at least that is what I recall.

And this is coming from a Fumie fan. I appreciate her skating, and really enjoy her. I think she should have gotten at least the bronze in Turin.

If anyone can explain definitely what was contained in Fumie's LP music, I would love to hear.

sue123
11-13-2006, 09:33 PM
I was wondering about that too. I wasn't sure if it was just jibberish they were saying, or real words. Unfortunatly, my lingustic skills haven't reached to Japanese.

Along those lines, were lyrics always allowed in ice dance? I forget who it was, I think a Canadian couple? They danced to At Last.

thumbyskates
11-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Fumie received no deductions for her music during Skate Canada. It would have been listed as 1.00 under the deduction column, but the commentators pointed out it remained at 0.00.

I do agree. It was very vocal to me, too, though I liked it.

And yes, ice dance may have vocals.

Mel On Ice
11-14-2006, 07:55 AM
Maria Butryskaya has vocals in her "17 Moments in Spring", but there were no spoken words unless you count "la la la".

Lark
11-14-2006, 11:42 AM
I remember a commentator stating years ago that if the voice is being used as an instrument, such as sighs, operatic "screeching" and la la la's, I suppose (LOLOL), then that is not considered vocals.

But I swear I heard tons of words in Fumie's music. Please let me know if anyone finds out anything else. :)

Artemis
11-14-2006, 01:19 PM
There was another skater at Skate Canada who had even more noticable lyrics in his (I think it was a man) program. Pretty much throughout the music. It was quite distracting. And he didn't get any deductions either. But I can't remember who it was.

Funny, though, I don't remember noticing the lyrics in Fumie's program.

frvanilla
11-16-2006, 12:33 AM
No, the "vocal" is not Japanese.

I found a sample for the piece Fumie is skating to. Please scroll down to Track 3 "Song Of The Spirit".

Karl Jenkins: Adiemus 2 Cantata Mundi (http://www.amazon.com/Adiemus-II-Cantata-Karl-Jenkins/dp/B0000029MA/sr=1-4/qid=1163658570/ref=sr_1_4/104-7553351-6627920?ie=UTF8&s=music)

Lark
11-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Can someone please describe it?

My speakers are funked up on my computer. :)

skate_star
11-25-2006, 04:46 PM
When I was watching her skate of tv, I thought that there were vocals. I'm not sure if there were actually words, and if so, what language they are in. The music was not called at vocals (not deductions) at Skate Canada, but it may be called as vocals and get a deduction at other competitions. Sometimes it is now known as to whether there are acutal words, or just vocals as instruments. I know of some skaters (at very low levels) who compete with words of other languages in their programs. It is not allowed, but since it is now always known as to whether or not there are acutal words in the program, it is sometimes possible to get away with it.