View Full Version : Question about FSU

Alexa
11-13-2006, 09:52 AM
I noticed a while back that FSU started charging in order to utilize some parts of the website.

In the past many of the event discussions took place while the event was happening, and by the time it came on tv, there was little discussion. Is that still the case, or are there some good discussions based on the timing of the TV broadcast? I was just wondering because I probably would not want to pay to see several pages of discussion while the event was happening live, but do like to see what people have to say about a competition after I have had a chance to see it.

LilJen
11-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, if you're stuck in the US, where coverage is terrible and only happens a week after the Grand Prix events *and you don't want to be spoiled for the results*, then the forum threads for which you pay would be terribly annoying. But there is some discussion after the broadcasts, often more pertinent to the coverage than anything else, but quite entertaining. I think a season pass is only $5, or at least it was earlier this year. Several people have been able to get CCTV5 via the web, which sometimes webcasts the events live. That's one way you can get in on the discussions, if you don't mind living around whatever time zone the event is in. (oh, and there's usually some crummy footage up on YouTube not too long after an event, if you're really dying to see it!)

Coverage is much better in other countries, though, so if you're not in the U.S. you might have an easier time.

scs
11-15-2006, 07:13 PM
I have been a member of FSU since FSW started charging...I can't be bothered sending money in to be a member. There are other sites that carry coverage of events (like this one) and hopefully we'll have more people reporting here. Between Skating Forums and a couple of other sites, I have been able to find informative reports on current skating events.

blue111moon
11-16-2006, 07:49 AM
The fees at FSU are to cover the tremendous bandwidth the site generates during events. If you don't want to contribute, you don't have to, and yes, you can eventually find some of the information elsewhere. But for those who choose to help defray the costs, the members-only content is more than worth the charge, IMO.

Personally, I love the Play-by-Play threads.

icedancer2
11-16-2006, 12:11 PM
For me it's worth it although I don't go there much these days -- for some reason not that interested in this season's competition -- post-Olympics let-down? (post-Johnny-Weir meltdown? -- I don't know, LOL)...

But just finding out how to access CCTV and seeing the events without English voiceover commentary is enough for me to pay the small fee.

This site, skatingforums, seems to be more about people who are actually skating than people interested in competitions, at least for now.

Alexa
11-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks all for the answers. I guess for now I will skip it, because I never was a fan of the play by plays, and prefer a simple discussion after the competition has broadcast. I appreciate the feedback. I understand why FSU has started charging, but I wish there was some way they would allow temporary guest access so you know what you are paying for.