View Full Version : clrification on lvels please

Tessie
10-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Hello all -

I believe these are the levels of skating "tests" after the basic skills, but would like clarification on the order.

From what I am deducing they are as follows:

Pre-preliminary
Preliminary
Beginner
Juvenile
Intermediate
Novice
Junior
Senior

Please correct as you see fit. If there are other levels in between please feel free to add.

phoenix
10-15-2006, 10:06 AM
You've got it almost right. I should add, these are U.S. test levels.

Pre-preliminary
Preliminary
Pre-juvenile
Juvenile
Intermediate
Novice
Junior
Senior

Those are for Freeskate and Moves in the Field. Dance levels are named differently; they are:

Preliminary
Pre-Bronze
Bronze
Pre-Silver
Silver
Pre-Gold
Gold
International

TreSk8sAZ
10-15-2006, 10:08 AM
The only level you have incorrect is "beginner". That is actually pre-juvenile. Each level of tests has a Moves In the Field component and a Freeskate component. You must pass the Moves before you can take the freeskate at the corresponding level, but may take the next level of Moves before you pass the freeskate.

There are also adult levels in the US Figure Skating world for skaters over 21 years of age.

1. Adult Pre-Bronze
2. Adult Bronze
3. Adult Silver
4. Adult Gold
5. Masters Novice
6. Masters Junior
7. Masters Senior

These are a different track from the standard track above, but once you pass your Gold tests you go back to the standard track Intermediate tests.

Hope this helps!

skater_chick
10-15-2006, 03:00 PM
ok, in Canada, the competitive stream tests are:

pre-preliminay
preliminary
pre-juvinile
juvenile
pre-novice
Novice
Junior
Senior

Tessie
10-15-2006, 04:07 PM
You've got it almost right. I should add, these are U.S. test levels.

Pre-preliminary
Preliminary
Pre-juvenile
Juvenile
Intermediate
Novice
Junior
Senior

Those are for Freeskate and Moves in the Field. Dance levels are named differently; they are:

Preliminary
Pre-Bronze
Bronze
Pre-Silver
Silver
Pre-Gold
Gold
International

Thanks

I was assuming US, sorry for the lack of clarification in my query. Thanks for the Canadian information.
So no "beginner" test level? I saw that level at a competition.

I am aware of the "adult track" for those that once competed (masters) and the "rest of us" as I endeavor for pre-bonze.

jp1andOnly
10-15-2006, 04:23 PM
some competitions will offer levels for learn to skate kids or for those who just finished the program.

Thanks

I was assuming US, sorry for the lack of clarification in my query. Thanks for the Canadian information.
So no "beginner" test level? I saw that level at a competition.

I am aware of the "adult track" for those that once competed (masters) and the "rest of us" as I endeavor for pre-bonze.

twokidsskatemom
10-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Yes, beginner and No test/non test is the same.
But that name I feel is very misleading. It does mean anyone who hasnt tested but that can be a skater just out of basic 8 to kids working on axles.

Debbie S
10-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Yes, beginner and No test/non test is the same.
But that name I feel is very misleading. It does mean anyone who hasnt tested but that can be a skater just out of basic 8 to kids working on axles.A lot of competitions offer a Limited Beginner or Limited No-Test category. Depending on the comp, the hardest jump allowed is either a loop or a salchow, and occasionally the skaters are restricted to only upright spins (no sit, camel, layback, etc). Also, for kids just out of Basic 8, most Basic Skills comps offer both compulsories and program events at the Freestyle "badge" levels - FS 1, FS 2, etc - that limit skaters to elements at that level or lower, but no higher.

twokidsskatemom
10-15-2006, 04:49 PM
A lot of competitions offer a Limited Beginner or Limited No-Test category. Depending on the comp, the hardest jump allowed is either a loop or a salchow, and occasionally the skaters are restricted to only upright spins (no sit, camel, layback, etc). Also, for kids just out of Basic 8, most Basic Skills comps offer both compulsories and program events at the Freestyle "badge" levels - FS 1, FS 2, etc - that limit skaters to elements at that level or lower, but no higher.

Maybe in bigger cities or comps.Some places also have pre pre A no axle and pre pre b with axle.But at alot of small club events it is just basic 8 or non test.EVERY comp in our state is the same.Our pre pres have axles.
My daughter non test program had a sitspin combo, camel, lultz/loop/loop, salcow/loop, footwork,sprial ect.
That is why its misleading!