View Full Version : Knee Hurts After 1 Week

rf3ray
10-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Hey guys a week ago I landed on my left knee with my full body weight, I havent been to the doctor yet as I can still walk on it. But the pain point is when I put pressure on it it hurts but not much but like a light twinge? Should I get a sports pressure bandage for it for my recovery? I have full motion in my leg it only twinges within a range but not as bad as when I hurt it lask week?

doubletoe
10-14-2006, 06:07 PM
If it is getting better and hurts a little less every day, it's probably just a normal bruise in the process of healing. Bruises are tender for awhile. But it's probably a good idea not to put a lot of weight on it (sitspins, jumps, etc.) because you might have a bone bruise inside your knee. If that's the case, you can expect it to hurt for awhile.

rf3ray
10-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Like the Knee Cap itself does not hurt its just when I like do 3 turns anything that does a twisting motion it hurts a little

If it is getting better and hurts a little less every day, it's probably just a normal bruise in the process of healing. Bruises are tender for awhile. But it's probably a good idea not to put a lot of weight on it (sitspins, jumps, etc.) because you might have a bone bruise inside your knee. If that's the case, you can expect it to hurt for awhile.

cecealias
10-15-2006, 12:56 PM
It's also possible you may be on your way to a torn ligament or meniscus if you feel pain during small twisting motions. Make sure you go see a doctor if it persists for more than a week.

I would advise No jumping at all until the pain goes away. Any additional torquing from jump landinds could contribute to making the injury worse.

rf3ray
10-19-2006, 03:41 AM
Anyways today, went to see a Physio after a referal from the Doctor, he checked out my knee. I explained to the Physio that it hurts to walk up and down stairs [Pain scale = 1 being Min - 10 Being Xtreme] so the pain was a 3.

He moved my knee in a wide range of motion, and he thinks I did some soft tissue damage, but nothing Major, told me not to skate until Sunday, but will be going Sat as I have a competition coming up. But said I should just rest it for just a while. I have another appointment with him next Thursday. Hopefully it will be better. Has anyone here had this much pain from a soft tissue damage in the knee?

It's also possible you may be on your way to a torn ligament or meniscus if you feel pain during small twisting motions. Make sure you go see a doctor if it persists for more than a week.

I would advise No jumping at all until the pain goes away. Any additional torquing from jump landinds could contribute to making the injury worse.

mikawendy
10-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Yup. Once I hit my toepick while not wearing knee pads, and I had knee pain for about 4 weeks, then it hurt for a good while longer than that to kneel on that knee. In the long run, I was fine.

Skate@Delaware
10-19-2006, 09:56 PM
I twisted my knee doing a poorly done 3-turn setting up the salchow (on my take-off leg). I wrap it when I skate and ice it at night. It is getting better, but it is generally slow healing in that area. I'd say it's been about 3-4 weeks now.

ouijaouija
10-21-2006, 02:23 PM
I kept injuring my right knee. i had padding so it didn't bruise, but was injured behind the knee, the joint. After a few months its much better, but if i fell on it again like I did last time.. :x

jenlyon60
10-21-2006, 07:16 PM
I fell onto my left knee while skating on a public session many years ago when I first started (got run into by some teens). My knee area was bruised badly and very sore. I couldn't easily bend it for about a week (very nasty when one has a stick shift car). I couldn't comfortably kneel on it for about 2 months. I went to the doctor right after the fall and the nasty looking bruising and there was nothing but a really bad bruise.

Last winter I slipped and fell on stone tile and bruised one of my knees. It was still tender to the touch for about 2 weeks.

PreciseIce
10-25-2006, 11:12 AM
After falling for so long, can imagine the twisting to still be painful ( let's say there's no major ligament or bone injury involvement).

Internal bleeding which causes bumps & bruises will in time, be defused back into the body ... at times it takes too long, at times it becomes blood clogs. The will "restrict" movement & also cause pain when the movement you are doing put pressure onto it too.

The helps soften / desperse blood clog, simple and easily rub & massage with little pressure on the bumps or knots you can feel under the skin at where you fell ... sometimes it will feel alittle numb, sometimes slightly pain/sore or irritation. Do it daily ... whenever you are free (at least 2-3 times ... 5-10mins?) untill the little knot /lump disappear in time.

It will also help relax the pressure off the knees having skating with all the stress & impact on it.

MusicSkateFan
10-25-2006, 01:46 PM
I dont want to even think about this one!

I had Medial/Lateral Miniscus tears along with SEVERE Arthritis discovered back in June! I hope for your sake it is nothing serious! It STINKS!

But on the bright side....I am able to jump a few jumps 2-4 at the end of a session and it has not bothered me yet!

PreciseIce
10-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Hey, no sweat!!! If you want to do it, you will ... it's just how.

I had 2 knee operations on the same knee & another one next early year for my ankle (same leg). Broke my ACL for the 1st. Broke my MCL for the 2nd. But it's all good now ... make sure the doctor is good ...and be sure the sports physio is better!

Be frank with them what you want to do & find the best way to recover from the injuries stronger then before.

Scar tissues are issues stopping people from skating after the operations coz it cause pain. Same as blood clogs ... need to get ride of it.

rf3ray
10-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Well its coming up to week 4 of my knee I havent jumped. It hurts for 2 hours after skating. I am wearing a knee brace. Geez so long to recover its annoying

Skate@Delaware
10-26-2006, 07:59 PM
I feel your pain! If I go over 2 hours, my knee starts to scream when I get home....ice is my friend!!

My heels have started hurting now, because my boots are too big so they slam up and down inside....get new ones next week, so I will have a new kind of pain...

Are you icing your knee after every session???

PreciseIce
10-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Week 4 .... hmmm ....

Have you checked with your doctor or physio or do you know if it's a bone pain, muscle pain, tendon or ligament pain?

It is important. If you experiene the similar pain for about 2months, probably there was / is a ligament injury ... that why it took at least about 2-3 months to feel lesser pain & a few more to recover. that about 6months.

rf3ray
10-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Physio said it was soft tissue damage

Week 4 .... hmmm ....

Have you checked with your doctor or physio or do you know if it's a bone pain, muscle pain, tendon or ligament pain?

It is important. If you experiene the similar pain for about 2months, probably there was / is a ligament injury ... that why it took at least about 2-3 months to feel lesser pain & a few more to recover. that about 6months.

PreciseIce
10-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Do you know what tissues, what happened & what can be done to help strength it & prevent it from happening? How long more did they suggest before the pain will fade off?

rf3ray
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Nah he didnt say, the physio did a full check on the knee moving it in all different and extreme positions, the moving of it doesn it hurt, its only when I do running or off ice jumping exercises it gets aggravated and after 2 - 3 hours of resting I can walk on it and do some slight running before it starts to hurt

Do you know what tissues, what happened & what can be done to help strength it & prevent it from happening? How long more did they suggest before the pain will fade off?

sue123
10-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Well its coming up to week 4 of my knee I havent jumped. It hurts for 2 hours after skating. I am wearing a knee brace. Geez so long to recover its annoying

I feel your pain. Although I can't skate for even 2 hours without my knee hurting. For me, it's as soon as I skate on a bent knee. So stroking or crossovers. Have you had an MRI done on your knee? It will show what's been damaged. Sometimes if you have strong quads or whatnot, you might not always feel pain while it's being moved because you can stabilize your knee with the leg muscels.

rf3ray
10-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Nah havent done a MRI on the knee, with the Quads at off ice training we have to do 15 Teapots or Shoot the ducks in 20 secs before I hurt my knee, After 4 weeks I managed to do a really low sit spin like this http://rf3ray.sk8rland.com/axels/SitSpin.mp4 when I wake up everymorning I can walk on it without very much pain? Is your leg better from your Injury and how long ago was it

I feel your pain. Although I can't skate for even 2 hours without my knee hurting. For me, it's as soon as I skate on a bent knee. So stroking or crossovers. Have you had an MRI done on your knee? It will show what's been damaged. Sometimes if you have strong quads or whatnot, you might not always feel pain while it's being moved because you can stabilize your knee with the leg muscels.

sue123
10-29-2006, 05:11 PM
My knee for sure is better than when I first injured it. When I first hurt it, I couldn't put any weight on it, and couldn't bend it. Now, it's better, although it still gets sore easily. At least I can move it. This happened in June or July I think. My orthopedist wants me to have surgery, but I can't afford it now, I need to wait until I get insurance again.

rf3ray
10-30-2006, 05:27 AM
Hi Sue been reading most of your Knee problems you had..... Ok, My knee that I fell on I can skate after exactly 4 weeks and 2 days. I did a sit spin 2 days ago and manage to get up, and do some Back Inside 3 turns and other various exercises that need a slight knee bend and twisting. I also manage to do off ice exercises yesterday... and managed to do the 600m warm up run. When I was running it wasnt feeling that my knee was feeling quite loose, but I was running (limping trying to not to give to much impact on the affected knee). At the end of the 2 hours of off-ice training it had the usual discomfort of pain, but I could still walk ok, with a very slight limp. When I fell on my knee I was still skating 30 mins after, but when I got off the ice my knee felt like it was sorta loose when I tried to straighten it. But after 4 weeks its feeling better, but now only with discomfrot after from skating. When waking up in the morning it feels like its not there until I do physical exercises from skating.

Do you think this is a Mensicus tear? or what should I do and just go slowly with the recovery. I have also seen a Physio 3 times and he ruled out that I havent done any serious damage to it, he said to do some exercises and is giving me the ultrasound therapy on the knee.

My knee for sure is better than when I first injured it. When I first hurt it, I couldn't put any weight on it, and couldn't bend it. Now, it's better, although it still gets sore easily. At least I can move it. This happened in June or July I think. My orthopedist wants me to have surgery, but I can't afford it now, I need to wait until I get insurance again.

PreciseIce
10-30-2006, 06:38 AM
My physio used to tell me it takes 6weeks at least to get better without hurting it much again ... So if you're still skating on, it depends on how much pressure or usage there is.

Mensicus tear --> Prob not... the activity you are having doesn't seems t indicate that.

While injury is trying to recover, a few hours is alot. I only skate about an hour if i have problem like those

rf3ray
10-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback.. When I did it it hurt like hell after skating. I am just beginning to resume doing just spins on my knee and more 3 turn footwork twisting and turning to get it back into shape, when I tried these exercises in the 1st week, I could barely do them. The most I try to skate in a session these days is just over 1 hour when I use to do more

My physio used to tell me it takes 6weeks at least to get better without hurting it much again ... So if you're still skating on, it depends on how much pressure or usage there is.

Mensicus tear --> Prob not... the activity you are having doesn't seems t indicate that.

While injury is trying to recover, a few hours is alot. I only skate about an hour if i have problem like those

sue123
10-30-2006, 07:47 AM
If you are able to do a sit spin, it's probably not a meniscus tear. Also, a lot of times with meniscus tears, you can hear a click when you bend your knee. That's just one test the docs did on me. The other thing is to do a full squat. I can't do one without a lot of pain, but then again, I have a meniscus tear and some degeneration of my meniscus, accompanied by a PCL tear that I obtained about a year and a half ago. Also, I don't know if the pain from meniscus tears ever really goes away without surgery because there is very little blood supply to the meniscus, so unless you happen to tear it where there is a blood supply, it won't heal on it's own.

If it's just some tissue damage, you need to give some more time for it to completely heal. But it sounds like you're doing better, so just don't push it so much and take it slow. Also, take everything I say with a grain of salt because I am not (yet) a doctor and I'm just speaking strictly from my own lovely experiences with knee injuries.

PreciseIce
10-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Do you know that if your knee is in pain even when simple skating, you should stay off twisting action starting from the knee.

Work on lots of stroking & crossovers to work on knee strength & control 1st. Once the pain gets lesser, then maybe try some turning untill progress shows good enough for twist & jumps. I call those days edges days ... just to make myself feel better! ;)

1. --> Balance in straight motion (forward stroking ...)
2. --> Balance in turns using body to start rotating (single or double 3 turns slowing ...)
3. --> Balance with challenge with muiltiple turns & checking on both directions (Twizzles, Brackets, Rockers, counters, ...)
4. --> Upright spins
5. --> Sit spins
6. --> Jumps ... & landings ...

These are just what I've worked out with the physio that might be good for skaters when recovering from knee injuries. The focus was to stablize knee control, test knee reaction to movement & then strengthen. Once your knee starts to wobble quite a bit, rest for a min or 2 for muscles to recover before working on it again.

(If it helps)

Thanks for the feedback.. When I did it it hurt like hell after skating. I am just beginning to resume doing just spins on my knee and more 3 turn footwork twisting and turning to get it back into shape, when I tried these exercises in the 1st week, I could barely do them. The most I try to skate in a session these days is just over 1 hour when I use to do more

rf3ray
11-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Ok It is now Week 5 of my knee the knee is better when I dont do spins and stuff I have a competition coming up. Should I just take a 1 - 2 week or maybe a month of skating because of this Injury? Its fine when I wake up everymorning and everytime I do skating it aggravates it

Do you know that if your knee is in pain even when simple skating, you should stay off twisting action starting from the knee.

Work on lots of stroking & crossovers to work on knee strength & control 1st. Once the pain gets lesser, then maybe try some turning untill progress shows good enough for twist & jumps. I call those days edges days ... just to make myself feel better! ;)

2. --> Balance in turns using body to start rotating (single or double 3 turns slowing ...)
3. --> Balance with challenge with muiltiple turns & checking on both directions (Twizzles, Brackets, Rockers, counters, ...)
4. --> Upright spins
5. --> Sit spins

These are just what I've worked out with the physio that might be good for skaters when recovering from knee injuries. The focus was to stablize knee control, test knee reaction to movement & then strengthen. Once your knee starts to wobble quite a bit, rest for a min or 2 for muscles to recover before working on it again.

(If it helps)

Team Arthritis
11-03-2006, 08:24 AM
I've, unfortunately, had a lot of experience with knee injuries. These are COMPLICATED. If you really want to get better then you must go see an orthopedist who specializes in sports injuries.
Lyle

rf3ray
11-03-2006, 08:35 AM
I have they told me to rest it

I've, unfortunately, had a lot of experience with knee injuries. These are COMPLICATED. If you really want to get better then you must go see an orthopedist who specializes in sports injuries.
Lyle

Skate@Delaware
11-03-2006, 11:58 AM
This thread has got me to think seriously about my knee. I sort of twisted it about a 6-8 weeks ago doing a crappy salchow (on the 3-turn). It still hurts. I'm wondering if it might have been aggravated by my skates, which are too big and not giving me the support I need. I have new skates now and will skate in them starting Sunday.

I wrap it when I skate and it feels better. It's iced when I get home but it aches alot at night. I also wrap it when I work out. I haven't done any heavy leg exercises for fear of aggravating it.

I'm thinking of seeing an ortho or a PT for some help. I don't want it messed up even more (it's my take-off leg) to where I can't compete this year, or skate in the show (in December).

Guess this is the way it works...fix one body part and something else falls apart!!!

rf3ray
11-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Anyways It is now 5 weeks and the Knee is still hurts after skating, so I have decided to learn how to do Ice Dance in the mean time as it looks it will take a while for this to heal before I can resume jumps... When I wake up every morning its fine, like there is NO PAIN in the knee when walking and then when I go skating. its HELLO KNEE!!! HELLO I"M HERE hmmm yeah

4. --> Upright spins
5. --> Sit spins

(If it helps)

rf3ray
11-09-2006, 12:57 AM
:giveup: Hey just met up with the physio again and he made noticed that my knee cap tracking is slightly off, and explained to me this is why I might be getting the pain. Does anyone know of any ideas on how to get it better. The physio has asked me to basically tape it up so the knee cap is not going outward that much
:giveup:

jenlyon60
11-09-2006, 04:48 AM
If it's tracking too much to the outside, work on strengthening your upper leg muscles and especially the quadriceps.

There are numerous exercises for these that your PT can recommend. But as you do them you must be very conscious of form, as improper form will hinder any improvement.

I believe there are various surgical options but those should probably be a last resort.

Here is a link with more infomation

http://www.webmd.com/hw/raising_a_family/tn7305.asp

aussieskater
11-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Umm, if it's tracking too much to the outside, then it may not be the quads which are at fault...I have that problem on both knees and the quads are fine - if anything, they're overstrong and pull the kneecap out. (A slight congenital twist in each femur doesn't help...)

It may well be the little muscle at the top of the knee where it meets the inside thigh that needs work. (Think of an experienced cyclist's legs - you know the muscle bulge they get at the top inside of the knee? It's that one. I don't know what it's called.)

The exercise my sports doc gave me for that (backed up by physio) was to attach a light (maybe 0.5 - 1kg) weight to the foot, and in a sitting position raise and lower the leg with the knee locked (but not hyper-extended) and the foot turned out. This turns the target area up to the ceiling, and when you do the exercise properly, you can use your fingers to actually feel the little muscle working. This was a useful tip, as the doc did say that it's really hard to activate this muscle in isolation, and he wasn't wrong!

A variation is to lie the leg with the back of the knee across a folded towel or similar, and rather than lift the leg with the knee locked, think of pushing the knee into the towel with the foot turned out, and raising just the lower leg, rather than lifting the whole leg.

I had to work up to 5 sets of 10, 3 times a day, and I still do them (although not as often as I ought!) to this day. My gym has a machine which works that area too, and I use it every time I go.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2006, 05:49 AM
One of the other adult dancers at our rink has been having all sorts of problems with her knees, and her osteopath says the source of the problem is actually in her back, which is pulling her out of alignment all the way down....

My own right knee is very sore today, but I have no idea why - just one of those things. Next week, undoubtedly, it will be my left knee, which is the one that normally hurts.

rf3ray
11-10-2006, 04:01 PM
But My injury was due from a fall

One of the other adult dancers at our rink has been having all sorts of problems with her knees, and her osteopath says the source of the problem is actually in her back, which is pulling her out of alignment all the way down....

My own right knee is very sore today, but I have no idea why - just one of those things. Next week, undoubtedly, it will be my left knee, which is the one that normally hurts.

AW1
11-12-2006, 08:32 AM
But My injury was due from a fall

I will attest that your back can give you knee pain, even if caused by a fall. If you've pressed on your ciatic nerve (runs from your neck right down your legs) you can actually have referred pain anywhere... and you can bruise your ciatic nerve.

My physio has been getting me to do those exercises with a 2kg bag of rice strapped over my ankle. Sit on the edge of the bed and raise the leg.

I had an MRI done on mine this evening and am seeing the orthopaedic surgeon on Thursday, but it looks as though I'm in for an operation to repair mine. :(

rf3ray
11-19-2006, 03:13 AM
Ok Physio gave me some exercises to strengthen my Vstus Medialis (Inner Thigh) Muslce to help with the tracking of the knee cap. Has anyone here done these physio exercises and how long did it take for you knee to get back to what it was. My knee is improving very very slowly every week. And its getting so fustrating!!!

aussieskater
11-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Is that the little muscle I described (badly) a few posts up?

jenlyon60
11-19-2006, 07:15 AM
It may take a month or so, and it's the type of exercise you will probably need to keep doing to keep the muscles properly strengthened for the knee to track better.

AW1
11-20-2006, 05:39 AM
rf3ray, thought I'd update you on my progress too. We can keep each others knee caps company!

My MRI showed no tear in my meniscus, and therefore no surgery required. However I did totally feel like a moron because I am in total agony at times, and in a lot of pain at best. Doing every day stuff causes me a great deal of pain.

The only thing he could deduce from the MRI was that the back of my patella is jagged, and he thinks that the pain is referred pain? 8O My physio on the other hand, has said this sounds like crap to him... He said what he thinks must have happened is that my patella has popped out, and popped itself back into place, but not in the right place. When I'm moving the jagged bits on the back are catching on either nerves or ligaments and causing the pain.

I don't know how long I'll be able to take this for. I'm back to the physio tomorrow morning, and also the doctor, hopefully for some further advice.

sue123
11-20-2006, 03:24 PM
AW1, a meniscus tear doesn't always show up very well on an MRI. Not sure why, but an MRI can't really be conclusive for a meniscul tear. Or at least, that's what my doctor told me. Have you considered a second opinion?

AW1
11-20-2006, 10:31 PM
AW1, a meniscus tear doesn't always show up very well on an MRI. Not sure why, but an MRI can't really be conclusive for a meniscul tear. Or at least, that's what my doctor told me. Have you considered a second opinion?

Yes I have, however this was a work related injury so I'm not paying for it and I'm not sure they will be willing to send me for a 2nd opinion. Interesting you said that because my physio said this morning in a very sarcastic tone "you know an MRI doesn't lie!"

Isk8NYC
11-20-2006, 11:35 PM
AW1, a meniscus tear doesn't always show up very well on an MRI. Not sure why, but an MRI can't really be conclusive for a meniscul tear. Or at least, that's what my doctor told me. I wonder why? My (sports med) orthopedist sent me for an MRI to rule out a meniscul tear because the soft tissue injuries don't show up on the xrays. Maybe an MRI is not clear enough to diagnose, only to rule out?

I had continuing knee pain, especially when I skated. The diagnosis was "crepidation of the knee," which makes me feel very old (crepid = decrepit?) just to say. The back of my knee cap, which should be smooth, has some rough spots and bumps that catch as I bend my knee. He put me on physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee (and lose a bit of weight) and a steady diet of anti-inflammatories. What's really helped, which is for my poor achy feet, is Celebrex and cortisone injections.

AW1
11-21-2006, 06:36 AM
I wonder why? My (sports med) orthopedist sent me for an MRI to rule out a meniscul tear because the soft tissue injuries don't show up on the xrays. Maybe an MRI is not clear enough to diagnose, only to rule out?

I had continuing knee pain, especially when I skated. The diagnosis was "crepidation of the knee," which makes me feel very old (crepid = decrepit?) just to say. The back of my knee cap, which should be smooth, has some rough spots and bumps that catch as I bend my knee. He put me on physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee (and lose a bit of weight) and a steady diet of anti-inflammatories. What's really helped, which is for my poor achy feet, is Celebrex and cortisone injections.

Isk8NYC, I have the same rough spots on the back of my knee cap. I can't take anti-inflammatories though as I'm allergic to Aspirin which is used in them. Gosh I hope I don't need to have cortisone injections any time !:(

sue123
11-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Isk8NYC, I have the same rough spots on the back of my knee cap. I can't take anti-inflammatories though as I'm allergic to Aspirin which is used in them. Gosh I hope I don't need to have cortisone injections any time !:(

I had a cortisone injection in my knee. I'll just leave it at that because I don't want to scare you. But if you ever do need it, just close your eyes as soon as he says cortisone injection.

Isk8NYC
11-21-2006, 10:01 AM
I've had a number of cortisone injections now. I find it amazing that the doctors don't even hesitate when administering them! It's like a Lufthansa flight: hit the runway and take off!

Skate@Delaware
11-21-2006, 10:16 AM
When I had a torn rotator (rotater?) cuff injury, I had a cortisone shot and boy! did it help! I was amazed! I would not hesitate to get another one if needed for my shoulder, knee, hip, or anywhere else.

I can't take ibuprofen or aspirin, only tylenol so the cortisone was a relief! Then I had therapy which included iontophoresis and hydrocortisone and later physiotherapy.

I had a small tear which did show up on the MRI but it's an easier area to see than inside the knee (less bone). They now have spiraling-MRI's. don't know if they are any better for knee views though.

sue123
11-21-2006, 10:36 AM
For me, it was that needle that did me in. Sure it helped, but I almost passed out when I saw the needle. I heard that you can only have 2 cortisone injections in the same area before it does some damage. Not sure if that's true, and I don't remember who told me that, so it could have just been one of my friends, or it could have been my doctor.

skateflo
11-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Excuse me for chimming in but having had a variety of knee problems, I'll share a couple of things.

MRI's can miss menisus tears - and it depends on how good the radiologist is at reading them (or how rushed he is.) Did your own doctor look at the films or just rely on the radiologist's written report. A thorough exam can be more valuable.

Roughness behind the patella is usually referred to as chrondomalacia although a misnomer..... it has various stages of roughness from just a little to looking like crabmeat.

A fall on a knee that already has some degenerative changes (although you may not have had any symptoms per se) reacts differently to trauma than a knee that was totally healthy. A shot of cortisone can help tremendously!

Bone spurs can happen due to a fall or trauma and they can grow out of a patella causing the patella to not track right. There are a variety of patella tracking difficulties. A proper set of x-rays, including a 'sunrise' one where the knee is placed at 45 degrees, should be able to show the patella in various stages and if it is out of the groove at some point.

If at some time the menisus was torn, and many people have it happen without symptoms, the capsule around the knee then has a leak. When trauma happens, just like any other part of the body, there is fluid/swelling. This puts pressure on many of the knee structures and causes pain as the fluid leaks out into the surrounding area, even though you may not see it.

Everyone talks about strengthening the muscles and this is true. But equally important is stretching the IT band, hamstrings, quads, calves, and achilles tendon. It is truly amazing how tight these get when there has been an injury and their tightness contributes to the ongoing pain - especially the hamstrings and the calves. But always warm up for at least 5 minutes before gently stretching these muscles.

As for doctors and PTs, they all have their own strong opinions. I am a big advocate of 2nd opinions and have had to do so myself several times to get the right answer and treatment.

If you want to know and understand more about knees, there is a great website, kneeguru.co.uk, that has been a big help to me. Just thought I would share with you knee people.

Finally, most docs limit cortisone injections to three and at spaced intervals. Relief can be great, but if the problem keeps returning then the underlying pathology needs to be addressed.

Hope this helps someone........

rf3ray
11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Yay I fell and put all my weight on my hand and pulled one finger way back
seeing a doc this morning... And I have a comp this weekend end

AW1
11-22-2006, 05:00 AM
Yay I fell and put all my weight on my hand and pulled one finger way back
seeing a doc this morning... And I have a comp this weekend end

OH man you're really having a rough trot aren't you! :(

IceAngelsMegan
11-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Well, as a skater for over 15 years, I've had my share of knee problems and figured I would share with you guys in case any of this would apply..

The first was a problem with the platella's movement, it seemed that my knee cap wasn't moving out of the way when the joint was moving, which caused discomfort. To help with this I have a list of stretches to do daily (morning and night) and before exercising (muscle tightness can prevent fluid movement of the knee cap, or so I've been told).

Next, I started having feet problems in my new skates which then caused pain in my knees and lower back, which thankfully was easily corrected with ortodics.

Then, last year (August of 05), I broke my platella (knee cap) and ended up causing quite a bit of ligament damage (after having to wear a cast, wear a splint, walk on crutches, and slowly get back into normal activities like walking). I've also started having arthritis in this knee and still have difficulty with certain activities (stairs have become a royal pain in my rear end!). Also, when I'm on the ice for a long period of time (over 45 minutes) I start to feel the stiffness and weakness come back. I have to say that the old gangster movies had it right when they broke peoples kneecaps, it's not quite life threatening but it is really painfull.