View Full Version : Where to Shop?

LoveToLearn
10-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Hello everyone :)

Its my first day here and I just wanted to pop in and say hi.
I am 30 years old and I have never been on skates, but I just signed
up for "Adult Beginner" classes in my area and classes start monday night!

I'm so excited, I just can't wait. If anyone has any advice feel free to email me. I got my skates from this wonderful store in Toronto called the Figure Skating Boutique. Great staff and good prices. I cant wait to try on my skates tonight.

Wish me luck, there's only 9 classes, and I'm a little nervous.

Sincerly,
LoveToLearn :)

flippet
10-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Fantastic! :) (I'm going to copy this to the On Ice section where all the folks who skate hang out.)

So, you've got brand new skates? There's a couple of sticky threads (at the top) in the On Ice (http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16) section that you might want to look at.

First thing--are the blades sharpened? The 'factory sharpening' isn't usually good enough to actually skate on, so you'll want to get that done.

Second--your skates will be stiff. You'll probably NOT want to lace them ALL the way to the top for the first few times you skate in them (until they start breaking in). You need the extra knee bend that some room at the top gives you. My suggestion is to tie the skates comfortably over the mid-foot, VERY tight at the ankle bend, and rather snug for the first two hooks. If you feel you still need a bit more support, try the third hook, but be sure you can bend your knees pretty deeply without cutting up your ankles (which may happen if you tie the skates ALL the way to the top. Tuck in the laces so you don't snag one with the other toepick. Oh, and you'll want to wear VERY thin socks, or even nylons to skate in (hopefully your fitter told you this when you bought the skates, so you didn't buy them too big.)

Third....the cardinal rule of skating is (say it with me, folks! :D)......

BEND YOUR KNEES!!! :D:D:D:D:D

(Just remember to NOT break at the waist when you do this--flat back, bend at knees and ankles, NOT at waist.)

Listen to your coach, and HAVE FUN!!!

(Sounds like we've got another potential AOSS 'victim', guys!! ;) )

flippet
10-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Copied to the On Ice section, here (http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16).

~flippet