View Full Version : Article - Sarah Heading To Washington

adrianchew
04-11-2002, 07:35 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-sarah112664463apr11.story

[quote:b1fa262ae9]Sarah Hughes will visit President George W. Bush in the Oval Office tomorrow, after having breakfast with administration officials dealing with education and women's rights.

"She thinks it's terrific that figure skating has opened a door like this," said the Olympic champion's father, John. "These are serious people who won't just be talking about figure-skating routines. Maybe she can find a program that she can contribute to. I think she's looking for the right thing to apply her efforts to. It certainly will be an educational thing for her."[/quote:b1fa262ae9]

AxelAnnie22
04-11-2002, 09:38 PM
How wonderful for her! I do like her father's attitude! 8)

I think Sarah has a strong foundation and a good head on her shoulders!

loveskating
04-12-2002, 08:13 AM
I appreciate the sentiment...but frankly, I will not allow ANY 16 year old to command my attention on such important issues as education and women's rights that directly affect the lives of so many millions of people.

It is more than a little bothersome to me that she seeks such a role...being an athlete does not entitle one to claim expertise that they could not possibly have, either as to education or life experience...I am in general very concerned about the tendency in our nation to blurr the lines between adulthood and childhood...and Sarah is still a child, IMHO, let's be very clear, and one who has not graduated high school and/or received a GED.

Sarah has direct experience with family life amidst breast cancer...that is possibly where she could right now make an authentic contribution as a child and provide insight and compassion if she seeks a social role.

After she has at least a Masters degree in some field related to education/women's rights, and after she has prooved herself professionally, I might listen to her on these huge and important subjects...or alternatively, if she led real women in real struggle like so many other spokespersons for women have.

SandraD
04-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Goodness, loveskating. All that was said by Sarah's father pertained to her CONTIBUTING! In addition, nothing was said as to in what manner she would be doing so nor what area.

As a teacher of teenage children, I am always encouraging them to become involved in the community. At the very least, Sarah could perhaps present ideas from the eyes of a 16 year old, as to ways these young people might be approached to become active in fund raising and those sort of activities. Granted, it might require her to become more familiar with how committees function and issues, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions at this point in time. At least she is not going to just sit around and ignore the "real world". It also appears as though she has interests other than skating. Perhaps, she is looking to the future.

Sandra

Aaron W
04-12-2002, 12:25 PM
I think it's great that Sarah's getting invovled in such things. If it takes a Masters degree to apparently have anything worth contributing to anything at all, then I guess my opinion and thoughts will never count much in the world. Considering how little young people get involved in the World today (I'll admit that I could be much more involved than I am), I'm happy that she's interested in taking part in such things and possibly learning from those experiences as well as finding something she will feel passionate about to supporting.

loveskating
04-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Then I don't even see why its news if it is merely personal? Sarah has every right to interest herself in whatever she likes...or contribute to whatever she likes, but this has been made into a public issue, has been made news, and that I object to on several grounds.

Nothing against Sarah, but again, making a flying leap from an athlete winning a gold medal at the Olympics to presenting her (or him as the case may be) as capable or relevant on broad social issues that are extremely difficult to solve seems off base to me...and especially when the person so presented is only 16 years old. Sorry, but I couldn't help but think of the 16 year olds I have known, and then thought, "Well, I hope to God she keeps her mouth shut publicly on these issues."

As for being listened to...most people are not listened to, to the contrary...except collectively as to the vote. Sarah could write a good book on how to become an Olympic Champ at 16, however, if she were so inclined.

Meredith
04-12-2002, 04:45 PM
It's news because she was invited to the White House.

There is no time like the present to begin learning more the "broad social issues" that the country faces. I did not get the impression from the article or from her father's words that she would do anything more than learn from the experience and apply her knowledge to future endeavors.

I hope to God she does not keep her mouth shut. How are children to learn if they are not allowed to speak?

Jim D
04-12-2002, 05:12 PM
It seems that it is possible to read into an otherwise rather simple and seemingly straightforward article whatever fits ones own personal agendas or predilections. … Yes Sarah is a 16-year-old child, albeit an obviously intelligent one, and having so stated I see no reason why she should not have been invited to attend such a function as a guest. … She happened to be in the area for one of her performances with COI and it would seem that someone, most probably Condoleezza Rice (Ph.D.), as John Hughes suspects who chose to arrange for Sarah to be present.

I see neither harm to the public weal nor any imminent danger to the republic inherent in having her in attendance as a guest. … This is not a formal congressional hearing on anyone's pet social issue or issues, merely a working breakfast and a meeting with the President afterwards. … Did she seek a role here? I doubt it, but rather look upon it as being a simple matter of serendipity coming into play. … Further, I trust that the adults who also attended this breakfast will allow for her being a 16-year-old and will form judgements on and make allowances for any remarks / statements that she makes on that basis.

Regardless of her or her families' political affiliation, I would think that this would have to have been a thrilling experience for Sarah.

Jim [img:b8c60301c1]http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/angel.gif[/img:b8c60301c1]

Schmeck
04-12-2002, 06:32 PM
I've got to agree with loveskating. When I read the quote from Sarah's father, I thought "what a pompous as$ he sounds like..." His daughter has achieved a wonderful goal, but I don't see why this makes her so special when it comes to education, and women's issues (has she been denied an education, turned away from a position because she was a woman, etc...) I do think it is a wonderful opportunity for her to enjoy, as not very many of us get to see this part of how our government works, but I think the quote from her father that she's going to contribute so much, wouldn't it be great for her to be involved, is a bit much. Next, he'll be babbling about "Sarah for President" :roll:

Hopefully, she'll enjoy her time there, learn something interesting, and perhaps decide to offer herself as a spokesperson for a relevant cause.

Schmeck, who thinks it is important for 16 yr olds to be involved, and a masters degree is not always neccessary for expertise, but wouldn't claim that my daughter should be given input into national education policy just because she's being awarded a High Honors with Distinction award this month from school :wink:

ToddFan
04-14-2002, 05:55 PM
I agree with both sides. One of my first thoughts -- besides that it was a great honor for Sarah, and that she continues to seem wonderfully grounded :) -- was how odd it was to have such a young person powow with top policy advisers. People of any age can potentially be savvy (sp) enough to do help in that arena, but I wouldn't be inclined to think it of people of my own age, either, in the same situation without "proof" LOL!

But I agree that probably none of the sides intend it to be *that* high level, the way it was kind of made to sound in the article :) And it's good to be involved in issues at any age! I have no doubt that Sarah *can* and will accomplish good things for different causes.

Lucy25
04-14-2002, 06:10 PM
I have not heard a word about this since reading the article. Does anyone know if this actually happened?