View Full Version : Amateur Athelete - ???

AxelAnnie22
04-11-2002, 08:27 AM
I was reading about The Sullivan Award. I had never heard of it. It says it is awarded to the "amateur athelete of the year".

I don't know anything else about the criteria, who gives it, why, how, or to whom. I don't really care about that part. Awards are nice. I love them, myself.

I do have a huge issue with the misnonmer "amateur". By no streatch of the imagination is Michelle Kwan an amateur athelete. "Eligible" to be sure, but amateur----somebody is kidding. These elite skaters make a fortune, and Michelle is at the top of the list.

I know that in skating there is no longer amateur status. There is eligible and pro. It is my understanding that the nomenclature was changed when they allowed skaters to be paid to appear, to win, etc.

So, how can someone who makes millions of dollars each year, hires the best and the brightest to work with her be considered an amateur?

Dick Button - he was amateur.

Now, please don't get detoured. This isn't about whether Michelle, or any other skater SHOULD have won the award. It is about any elite skater winning an award designed to honor amateur sportmen.

Thoughts?

Spinner
04-11-2002, 09:29 AM
I guess it all depends on how one defines 'amateur' and 'professional'. To me 'amateur' is defined as an athlete who remains in their sport to compete on the world/elite level. 'Professional' would be one who continues on past their amateur days as a way of making a living while forgoing any further world/elite competitions. Granted, skaters like Todd Eldredge are pretty much doing both, but because of his continued efforts to remain competitive in the eligible ranks he held 'amateur' status in the eyes of the sports media.

Spinner

AxelAnnie22
04-11-2002, 11:03 AM
I think the ISU blurred the line. Used to be very clear. Professionals could be paid, amateurs could not. When they began to call them "eligible" the distinction was only what competitions they could participate in.

These kids are no longer amateur skaters. They are as professional as you can get.

BTW, I didn't say it was bad. Just that it is.

Kruss
04-11-2002, 11:15 AM
I understand what you're saying, Annie.

But if you look at the list, many of past athletes won after their Olympic success, when the endorsements were in the process of rolling in or had already been given to these athletes. Bruce Jenner, Mark Spitz, Bonnie Blair - and many more - all these athletes made money off their Olympic success.

But they were still Amateur as opposed to Pro. And I'm wondering if it's only skating that has taken away the 'amateur' label (which I still use) and given it the more PC label of 'eligible'.

Just another thought. :)

AxelAnnie22
04-11-2002, 11:51 AM
I don't know. You make a good point. It used to be that Olympic elligibility was contingent on maintaining an amateur (non-paid) status. With the examples you stated, I don't know if these guys turned pro after the OLYS, and then took the endorsements, or what.

'Tis a puzzlement. :roll:

sulin
04-11-2002, 05:03 PM
This is an interesting topic.
If I remember correctly, one of the main issues which started the change in rules was the fact that some countries were actually "paying" their amateur athletes....thereby making the task of staying amateur much easier.
Does anyone remember exactly what the situation was?

loveskating
04-12-2002, 07:54 AM
[quote:7c0b6c8ed2="sulin"]This is an interesting topic.
If I remember correctly, one of the main issues which started the change in rules was the fact that some countries were actually "paying" their amateur athletes....thereby making the task of staying amateur much easier.
Does anyone remember exactly what the situation was?[/quote:7c0b6c8ed2]

I don't recall specifics, but I do know that in the former "Soviet Bloc" the state paid for all the training of all their athletes...the state subsidized promising skaters from the beginning of their "study" of skating or whatever.

This was, of course, a competitive advantage as in "capitalist" countries, the families of the skaters etc. had to pay....however, usually, as in the case of Scott Hamilton, wealthy sponsors paid once a skater was established as a world class contender so the only real difference was at the entry level

As to specifics, I think it was Roz Summners who basically told them (the USFSA) she could not continue unless she could finance her training but I'm not sure.