View Full Version : Just Wondering Why

whatwasithinkin
06-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Hiya, I've been taking LTS lessons for 3 1/2 mos now and loving it.

I was always drawn to skating for the cute outfits, but only just decided to stop being bitter that my folks never took me for lessons, and go take some lessons at the tender age of 38!

I totally understand that Figure Skating is a serious sport, but what I don't get is why the flouncy dresses with the fake jewels.

You'd think that as skating evolved into an Olympic sport and started to be taken seriously, the wardrobe would have changed into something more athletic looking and/or performance oriented.

From where I stand, it seems like the wardrobe is much too pretty for a 'real' sport.

Clarice
06-07-2006, 05:47 AM
Actually, it seems to me that as skating evolved, the costumes became more elaborate, as skaters tried to dress to match the mood of their music, play a character, or generally tried to project a total "package". If you don't like sequins and crystals, you certainly don't have to wear them, but I think for a lot of skaters, the fancy costumes are part of the attraction. As an adult skater, I don't overdo the glitz, but do have a lot of fun choosing the "perfect" dress for my program.

Schmeck
06-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Also, remember that figure skating is done down on the ice, with the judges and spectators in the stands - costumes and makeup need to be very pronounced to be visible enough to make a statement. Yes, a plain blue dress is OK, but a small amount of beading/jewels is not going to show up at a distance. In order to make details show up they need to be done on a 'large' scale!

VegasGirl
06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Besides, as technical as the sport has become who on earth would still watch if it wasn't for the pretty costumes matching the carefully chosen music?

And, if proper attire isn't part of a "serious" sport then why don't all athletes just wear the same plain color outfits... why did basketball short go from super short in the 70s to almost floor length now? Why does my son insist on wearing snowboarding jackets instead of a good old winter coat? Why do gymnasts' leotards come in different colors and styles and not just simple black?

It's because aestethics (sp?) and fashion are just as much part of any serious sport as they are in the 'normal' world. ;)

Samskate
06-11-2006, 10:23 AM
IIRC, I think I read that Kristi Yamaguchi said one of the reasons she wanted to skate was because of all the glitzy costumes! Probably true for a lot of skaters.

dooobedooo
06-11-2006, 12:44 PM
....And, if proper attire isn't part of a "serious" sport then why don't all athletes just wear the same plain color outfits... It's because aestethics (sp?) and fashion are just as much part of any serious sport as they are in the 'normal' world. ;)

I've often wondered why female runners get sent out to races in those show-it-all skimpy tankinis, whereas the blokes wear "normal" vest and shorts ....

doubletoe
06-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I've often wondered why female runners get sent out to races in those show-it-all skimpy tankinis, whereas the blokes wear "normal" vest and shorts ....

My guess is that the women like those aerodynamic tankinis and that the men would wear them, too, if they weren't afraid of being snickered at! ;)

As for the original question, the answer is because the skaters' technical score (pure athleticism) is only worth 50% of their overall score; the other 50% is presentation. 25% of that presentation score (or "Program Components" score) is Interpretation, of which the costume is a major part. The costume would also influence the Expression score, which is another 25% of that 2nd mark. And, as others have pointed out, the judges and audience are far enough away that the costumes need to be fairly bold in order to make an impact.