View Full Version : Best & worst costumes this year

caser
04-16-2006, 06:53 AM
During the ABC skating broadcast on Saturday, Peggy Fleming was appointed "'costume police" and gave her 3 top picks of best and worst skating costumes this year. For example, in the worst category, she gave Stephane Lambiel a bronze for his zebra-influenced Four Seasons costume.

In the best category, Sasha Cohen's Juliet received Peggy's gold award. This got me wondering what other people thought about specific skating costumes they've seen this year.

I was further inspired to ask this question, because I thought during yesterday's show, my adorable, wonderful Irina Slutskaya was wearing a ghastly costume. It looked like the back had come from one costume and the front came from another one. It was distracting in its ugliness, but that smile of hers just about made up for it.

My least favorite costume this year was Galit Shait's poufy "swan" that shed feathers as she skated. Among my favourites were anything that Marie France Lauzon wore. What an elegant ice dancer she is in a sea of Hallowe'en garishness.

Opinions, anyone?

sk8er6
04-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Sasha's redish/burgundy Romeo and Juliet dress was absolutely beautiful. It matched the music, and suited her so well. It was one of, if not the prettiest dress I've ever seen. I think that Carolina Kostner should be right up there for worst costumes of the year. A lot of the bodysuits worn this year were very distracting as well.

Debbie S
04-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Sasha's redish/burgundy Romeo and Juliet dress was absolutely beautiful. It matched the music, and suited her so well. It was one of, if not the prettiest dress I've ever seen. I think that Carolina Kostner should be right up there for worst costumes of the year. Yes, I agree on both counts. Interestingly, though, Peggy picked Sasha's cream-colored R&J dress (the one she wore at Nats) as the "gold" costume, not the burgundy one - I thought the burgundy one was better.

And Peggy thought Carolina's LP dress was the 3rd best costume - ugh! Nothing designed to look like bugs are crawling on it should ever be considered good, IMO.

LauraLa
04-16-2006, 01:20 PM
At least Carolina's Olympic long program dress was better than the one she was wearing during her early Grand Prix events. That one looked like a sort of Doce & Gabbana domanatrix costume. I'm talking about the black one what kind of wrapped around her bust, then had big cut-outs in the torso area, and I think had a mock turtle neck. It was just hideous.

Laetitia_Hubert
04-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I think Joannie Rochette's costumes for both her short and long programs were gorgeous (especially her pink sequined LP dress). Simple, elegant yet very classy. Even the year before, her "Firebird" costume was stunning!

Had Michelle Kwan skated at the Olympics I'm sure her Vera Wang's would've been beautiful too.

Sasha's costumes are spectacular too. But I guess the more money you make the more you can spend on costumes, so she is very lucky that way. Her burgandy R&J costume is a masterpiece though.

I'm not a huge fan of the bodysuits that some of the ladies are opting to wear now-a-days but Sarah Meier's long program unitard (the black with red sequins) was really dramtic, seductive and tasefully done.

And we can't forget Shizuka's Arawaka's fashion statements. Very bold, ostentatious and vivid! Love her costumes!

As for the worst...I personally am not a fan of Emily Hughes' dresses as to me they come off as quite dull. On the other hand, many of the ice dance ladies go for the over-the-top costumes which are terribly distracting. The Olympic bronze ice dancing medalist from Ukraine was practically topless during her free-skate.

But to each their own.

cassarilda
04-16-2006, 07:17 PM
From a dance perspective? This has got to be the worst Ive seen... Delobel & Schoenfelder - wheres that rule about modest and proper attire?

http://www.ice-dance.com/photography/worlds2006/od/delobel-schoenfelder.jpg

Although, there are a few close runner ups.. such as Beier & Beier in their matching fluro orange costumes... I applaud their audacity and confidence to wear it, but yucky! (they continued with the theme of fluro for their free dance as well :roll:

cassarilda
04-16-2006, 07:23 PM
My favourite from the Worlds? there were a few, but for simple elegance, I like this one:

Beknazarova & Zuev during their FD

http://www.ice-dance.com/photography/worlds2006/fd/beknazarova-zuev.jpg

LauraLa
04-16-2006, 08:51 PM
From a dance perspective? This has got to be the worst Ive seen... Delobel & Schoenfelder - wheres that rule about modest and proper attire?
Hahahah. There should also be a rule about Olivia Newton-John style headbands on both men and women. :)

Artemis
04-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Oh c'mon, putting ice dancers in the mix is never fair. They're always going to win worst costume. :twisted: Although I agree that there were quite a few good costumes worn by the dancers this year, particularly by Marie-France, Megan, and Tanith's FD dress.

So in the other disciplines ... worst costume has to go to Stephane Lambiel. I swear, though, that he had Ilya's 1998 costume in mind ...

As for best dressed, although I did like Sasha's and Joannie's dresses, my pick goes to Fumie -- particularly her SP costume though the LP costume is pretty great too. She is consitently one of the best costumed skaters around, with a simple elegance that matches her skating.

sue123
04-19-2006, 01:54 PM
I didnt' like Sasha's R and J dress. The front of the skirt looked like a diaper to me. I did like the bodice, but not the skirt.

WeirFan06
04-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Hey, does anybody watch Project Runway??? Did Sasha Cohen ever wear the dress that won the challenge? Just curious.

Laetitia_Hubert
04-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Hey, does anybody watch Project Runway??? Did Sasha Cohen ever wear the dress that won the challenge? Just curious.

LoL! I don't think she did wear Zuleyma's ice costume. You could so tell that Sasha and the judges were appauled by all the creations...but since it was a contest there had to be a winner.

Usually when they have a guest celebrity who promises to wear the winning outfit of the week (ex. Nancy O'Dell in Season 1 and Iman in Season 2) they show clips of them wearing the outfit in public at the end of the episode. They didn't show any clips of Sasha sporting Zuleyma's costume.

I think the celebs have the final veto. If a design is truly horrendous, which I think the winning figure skating costume was, then they are allowed to back out. Zuleyma's dress didn't suit Sasha at all and you can tell that Sasha takes her ice costumes very seriously.