View Full Version : Michelle - Any updates?

Spider68
04-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Haven't heard anything since the Olympics. No press release, no indication of plans, shows, etc. Any idea why the news black-out?

Schmeck
04-15-2006, 11:53 AM
She did the Marshall's exhibition, no jumps, and she's doing COI.

Sylvia
04-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Marshalls Showcase airs TODAY on ABC - 3-5 pm Eastern time.

What news black-out? ;) Many recent article links and news/updates, including Kwan's guest appearance on The View talk show earlier this week, can be found at MKF:
http://www.mkforum.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

sk8er6
04-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Michelle announced in an article (sorry I don't have the link!) that she is not hanging up her skates yet. She is handing on to her amateur status because she still believes that she has a chance at Vancouver 2010. :roll: Come on Michelle....enough is enough!

Spider68
04-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks. That's the "news" I was looking for but hoping wouldn't see. I agree - enough is enough. Get real, face reality, time to announce a "retirement" and move on the pro circuit that desparately needs new blood.

Schmeck
04-15-2006, 10:04 PM
The only real news I've seen mentioning Kwan's thoughts on 2010 Olys was her joking with Slutskaya about the two of them going for it. :roll: I would think she'd be waiting to see if she can get her jumps back after the second groin injury heals before she makes any real decisions. If she heals, a big if, then I can see her doing one more season. I'd give both Kwan and Cohen a 50% chance of competing next year.

Lark
04-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Haters, please.

Butyrskaya, Eldredge and Stojko were all competitive through their late 20's and none of these skaters were as good as Michelle.

Just because Michelle can't win everything, doesn't mean she should not be allowed to compete.

Pick on some of those skaters who have never cracked Top 5 at Worlds, then you can go after Michelle. :roll:

sk8er6
04-17-2006, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=Schmeck]The only real news I've seen mentioning Kwan's thoughts on 2010 Olys was her joking with Slutskaya about the two of them going for it. :roll:
Actually here is the link
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiheral...miherald_sports
In this article, Michelle seriously mentions that she is not giving up her eligibility. She is not joking about it at all. Michelle Kwan was a great skater in her day. However, that day has passed and she needs to move on to allow other younger skaters a chance to break through

beachbabe
04-17-2006, 10:28 PM
even if she were to do the next olympics, i doubt there would be another exception made for her...she would have to earn her spot at nationals fair and square.

i love michelle..but clearly her career is not at its peak right now...she should jsut relax for a while and maybe become a pro.

Tapper
04-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Michelle Kwan was a great skater in her day. However, that day has passed and she needs to move on to allow other younger skaters a chance to break through

If the "other younger skaters" cannot beat Michelle Kwan then they are the ones who "need to move on" to something else, not Michelle. It is absurd to think that someone should simply step aside so others can get ahead in a competition.

mousey
04-19-2006, 02:13 AM
If the "other younger skaters" cannot beat Michelle Kwan then they are the ones who "need to move on" to something else, not Michelle. It is absurd to think that someone should simply step aside so others can get ahead in a competition.

I totally agree. I can't stand it when people say that. MK hanging around is helping young skaters to be better skaters!!

sk8er6
04-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Come on. Michelle was beaten fair and square by Emily Hughes for the Olympic spot (she was injured, but she was given a try out-which they gave to her. Ridiculous since she only landed 4 triples and no double axel out of a short and long program). There is no way she would have beaten Sasha at Nationals, Kimmie at Worlds. She didn't even make the podium last year at Worlds-a huge blow for a 5-time World Champion. Next year, more young skaters are going to improve and Michelle will just stay the same, because she is simply past her peak. She had a great career, but its time to move on.

Tapper
04-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Come on. Michelle was beaten fair and square by Emily Hughes for the Olympic spot (she was injured, but she was given a try out-which they gave to her. Ridiculous since she only landed 4 triples and no double axel out of a short and long program). There is no way she would have beaten Sasha at Nationals, Kimmie at Worlds. She didn't even make the podium last year at Worlds-a huge blow for a 5-time World Champion. Next year, more young skaters are going to improve and Michelle will just stay the same, because she is simply past her peak. She had a great career, but its time to move on.

Michelle wasn't beaten by Emily Hughes or Sasha or Kimmie for the Olympic spot. Michelle didn't even compete! Where have you been? :lol:

Schmeck
04-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Didn't Kwan land more triples at her tryouts than EHughes did at Nationals?

Well, we'll see if she heals enough for next season.

LauraLa
04-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Well, we'll see if she heals enough for next season.
Exactly. If she heals enough to get the jumps, and does what it takes to win competitions, then she can and should do whatever the heck she wants. How old was Butrskaya when she won Worlds that time? 29?

babyballerina
04-20-2006, 06:24 AM
How old was Butrskaya when she won Worlds that time? 29?
26 I think

NoVa Sk8r
04-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Butyrskaya was 26 (the oldest woman to do so), a few months shy of 27 when she won Worlds in 1999. She was 29 when she won Euros in 2002 (the oldest women to do so).

quarkiki2
04-20-2006, 08:35 AM
I dunno -- I'm sort of curious to see what her SP and LP were if skated well. If Tarasova was impressed, maybe I would be, too.

Schmeck
04-20-2006, 10:47 AM
I know, it is a shame we never got to see Kwan's programs, although didn't she do her FP at that vote-a-thon cheesie comp last Fall? I missed it...

NoVa Sk8r
04-20-2006, 11:16 AM
She did her SP, Totentanz (the same music as Irina's SP).

Her LP (Prelude in C Sharp Minor, Op. 3 No. 2 by Rachmaninoff) was never debuted to the public.