View Full Version : Why practice Quad Loop?

Lark
02-27-2006, 10:44 PM
I saw a link of Mao Asada practicing the Quad Loop, and landing it, though 2 footed.

What is the benefit of this?

Would she not get as many, or more, points for a 4Toe landed cleanly then 2-footing a 4Loop? Surely the 4Toe is light years easier than a 4Loop?

Plus, has she not seen what the Loop has been doing to skaters?
Tara Lipinski darn near in a wheelchair mere years after her Olympic win, from her 3loop/3loop combination.
I had heard that Plushenko was blaming some injuries on practicing the 4Loop in the past.

The Loop seems like a bad jump to try to master in general, let alone something as difficult as a 4loop.

Would Mao not benefit more from doing an exciting, energetic program with 6 clean 3's, maybe a 4toe or 3axel added extra?

How much fun to be Olympic Champion and end up in a wheelchair at the age of 40 from messed up hips?

mikawendy
02-27-2006, 11:00 PM
4toe might or might not be easier for a skater than 4loop. (I'm speaking, of course, from supposition, NOT experience :D ). But the 4loop doesn't change axis of rotation during the jump, so the weight is over the same side at the start and end of the jump. Some skaters might find that easier than 4toe, which requires a change of axis of rotation during the jump.

I agree that it might be smarter for her (and others) to do 3-3 or 3-2 combos instead of a riskier quad (riskier in competition in terms of points and riskier in practice in terms of the toll it takes on the body). However, if she has good technique before/during/after the jump and a good coaching and medical team to ensure she's not at risk for injury or developing overuse (and isn't a nut like Tara to practice a jump 50 times in a row), then Mao may be able to handle this jump. (These are big "ifs" and I personally would rather see her work on her skating components, stroking, and power... JMNSHO)

crayonskater
02-28-2006, 12:34 AM
If she's two-footing it, then it's a negative GoE, but still counts as quad.

That means that she 'frees up' a spot for another triple that doesn't need to be in combination. As Jeff Buttle showed this past Olympics, as long as you get the rotation, the quad seems to be worth the risk, pointswise. Health-wise, well, if you're worried about your health you probably shouldn't even be trying triples.