View Full Version : Judging

skatefan1
02-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi,

I am new here. This is my first post! I am very new to the world of skating so I have a question for all of you. I have been watching the figure skating in the Olympics and I love it, and I am interested in becoming involved in some way. I was thinking I would like to become a figure skating judge. I went online to the USFSA site and they give instructions for how to become a judge, and it sounds like anyone can become one if they are willing to put in the time to learn about the sport and train as a judge.

My question is, in the "real world" of figure skating clubs, would someone totally new from the outside be accepted as a judge? I mean, could I just decide I want to be one and then show up to begin training as one, or is it really usually people who have been with the club forever who gradually move into the judging roles? I am just wondering how this all works. It's hard to imagine that someone such as myself, who has never even really skated, could just decide to become a judge and be totally accepted there, but if that's possible, I would really like to do it.

If anyone has any perspectives on this, or any advice for me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

icedancer2
02-26-2006, 07:02 PM
I know of a few people who are judges who have never been skaters. Usually they are the parent of a skater and they have gotten involved in this way.

I think the only way to find out if you can do it is to call some of the officials at your local skating club and see how open they are to getting you trained. Some areas are so hungry for judges that they may be willing to train you.

Personally I can't imagine judging skating without having a skating background. I am a judge and I can tell you, it is VERY difficult!!!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.