View Full Version : Adult Dance testing track?

crayonskater
02-15-2006, 09:07 PM
So, as I've mentioned, I'm thinking of learning some of the beginning dances.

I don't know if there's a chance I'll test, but if I did, as an adult... is there an adult track for dances? What is the dance testing structure like? Does one also have to pass the MiTF?

phoenix
02-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Assuming you are in the US, there is an adult track for dance. You do not have to take any moves tests.

The tests/dances/levels are identical to the standard track. The difference is that the adult track has a lower passing average score. And once you hit the silver level, the standard track testers have to skate the dance both with a partner, and then solo--the adult track tester never has to solo the dance--you will only skate it with a partner.

Levels:
Preliminary: Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, Rhythm Blues
Pre-Bronze: Swing Dance, Fiesta Tango, Cha Cha
Bronze: Willow Waltz, Ten-Fox, Hickory Hoedown
Pre-Silver: Fourteen Step, Foxtrot, European Waltz
Silver: American Waltz, Rocker Foxtrot, Silver Tango
Pre-Gold: Blues, Kilian, Starlight Waltz, Paso Doble
Gold: Viennese Waltz, Westminster Waltz, Quickstep, Argentine Tango

Debbie S
02-15-2006, 09:54 PM
I believe I read somewhere that you can take the "adult" version of each dance, and the passing average is 2 tenths lower than the standard track. But I am not sure of that, so perhaps Phoenix or Jenlyon or another dancer here can confirm or deny.

I do know that dance is a separate track from MIF, and you do not need to pass moves tests to take dance tests. Most people who do dance also test moves to improve their skills, but it's not required.

Debbie S
02-15-2006, 09:56 PM
I believe I read somewhere that you can take the "adult" version of each dance, and the passing average is 2 tenths lower than the standard track. But I am not sure of that, so perhaps Phoenix or Jenlyon or another dancer here can confirm or deny.

I do know that dance is a separate track from MIF, and you do not need to pass moves tests to take dance tests. Most people who do dance also test moves to improve their skills, but it's not required.

Edited to say lol, phoenix, you and I posted at the same time! I knew you could answer the question.

crayonskater
02-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Can one test all of the dances solo? (Where does one get a partner when Preliminary?)

phoenix
02-15-2006, 10:32 PM
yes, there is also a solo testing track, which is separate from the others. But if you ever wanted to test w/ a partner, you'd have to go all the way back to the beginning & start over.

Most people test with their coach if they're opposite gender, or with another coach who does test session partnering. Same-gender partnering is now allowed for tests, provided that the partner is your coach. I've never seen that done, it's a pretty new rule.

jenlyon60
02-16-2006, 05:00 AM
The lower passing average for Adult doesn't kick in until the PreSilver dances.

The reduction is .1 on each mark for Pre-Silver and Silver (total .2 reduction from Standard track passing average).

The reduction is .2 on each mark for Pre-Gold (total .4 reduction from Standard track passing average).

The reduction is .3 on each mark for Gold and International dances (total .6 reduction from standard track passing average).

In fact, I believe that technically until Pre-Silver, there really isn't an "Adult" track. Until about 3 years ago, the requirement to solo kicked in at the Pre-Silver level (years ago, the requirement to solo was more complex and it kicked in at the Bronze level--I remember when I tested my Bronzes, there was no Pre-Bronze dance level and I had to solo all 3 of my Bronzes [then the Fiesta, Willow and 10-Fox]).

To throw another spanner in the mix, USFS dance also has the "Masters" test scoring, which is different than the Masters competition levels in Adult freestyle skating. For the purpose of dance tests, an adult over 50 may choose to take any dance test Pre-Bronze or higher as a "Masters" level test, thus being eligible for a passing average that is .3 lower on each mark (.6 lower total). However, once a skater cuts over to "Adult" or "Masters", s/he cannot take a dance test at the same or higher level as a Standard track test without re-testing any tests passed as "adult" or "masters" as Standard (same for once a skater cuts over to Masters track dance tests).

Hope this helps.