View Full Version : Inspirational poster needed

Mainemom
02-13-2006, 02:57 PM
My daughter is having trouble believing in her ability and is sometimes very negative about how well she is doing in her skating. Both her coaches tell us that she just needs to believe more in herself as she is doing very well and working hard - but she isn't seeing any progress no matter what we tell her. I would like to find her a figure skating poster that says something like "Believe in yourself" or something like that to help her with the power of positive thinking, but I can't seem to find anything on line. Does anyone know of a have a website I could try?
Thanks for any help you might have.

essence_of_soy
02-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi there,

Have you thought of having a photo of your daughter skating with the phrase included somewhere on it?

If you have access to Microsoft word, setting up something that can be printed out at an outlet like Kinkos for example, could be the way to go.

Just a thought.

Nick

flippet
02-13-2006, 09:28 PM
I know Rainbo (http://www.rainbosportsshop.com) has a lot of trinket-y type stuff like this...maybe look there?

crayonskater
02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't know much about posters, but you could make one for your daughter yourself -- A pretty picture of your daughter skating or posing interposed with a Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen or whoever her favorite skater is, with text saying something like "Every champion starts at the beginning."

cassarilda
02-16-2006, 04:55 AM
Video camera! :)

Best inspirational tool ever!!

Tape a few sessions, then play them back to her in order, or backwards!

Also, there were a few interesting quotes that people posting in the Dare to Dream post... :) Just remind her that there are MILLIONS of people out there who cannot do what she is doing, and how truly envious all those people at public sessions must be... (public sessions can be a big boost - especially when you are practising a basic move, and you get awe struck people clinging to the barrier asking how you do that?! :) ).

But yes... video camera!

becky_girl
02-17-2006, 09:22 AM
I have to agree: "video camera"!
Not only will it be useful to her immediately, in her later years - if she continues in the sport or not - it will be a cherished treasure.

I know I would do anything (almost anything! ;) ) to see the 1 or 2 tapes of me back in the day. I've never seen myself at my "peak". I recall a nano-second of a harness-jumping session, siderink on a monitor, very fuzzy and unclear and instantly erased afterwards. The clubs/local cable t.v. station recorded competitions back then, but unless your parents asked for a copy ...(and my parents didn't even agree to a purchase a VCR til the late 80's anyway! lol) ...
I tried to get them a few years ago but I was told that the t.v. station has long since destroyed these "achives".

One more thing, there is a series of calendars with motivational texts on each beautiful, awe-inspiring photo of nature, or athletes doing their sport. Even rock-climbing. Unfortunately, I forget the name. I found mine in a local shop that sells all sorts of stuff like that: corporate-motivational knick-knacks, paper products etc.
You might find them on the internet.

Your kid is such a lucky girl to have such a caring and supportive parent like you!!! :D

Rusty Blades
02-17-2006, 02:11 PM
My personal moto for MANY years:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/northernjane1974/21011892_F_tn.jpg

loveskating
02-17-2006, 02:43 PM
What is she not making progress on?

It takes a long time to get some jumps, like the axel or lutz.

Some bodies are not cut out for a spreadeagle.

It takes a long, long time to find your center -- and thus to be able to spin well. There is a gadget for off ice spinning if you have room for your child to use it in your home.

Etc.

Poohsk8s2
02-18-2006, 09:35 PM
http://www.art.com/asp/display-asp/_/ID--23641/PG--1/posters.htm?TNID=1&ui=6505F1BB9BBF495F91A9E5879711456A

Try this link for a motivational poster and also take a look at all their motivational posters. The don't always have skaters, but there is some beautiful art with wonderful prose. Good luck to you and your daughter, those rough spots will eventually smooth out, but the ride is tough.