View Full Version : Michelle given honorary OGM!

Lark
02-09-2006, 08:44 PM
IN an article in "Sports Illustrated", it was mentioned that Michelle Kwan will be given an honorary OGM, and that she will be shown in the record books as a co-winner of the Ladies event, similar to the S&P second medal given in SLC!
If she were to win another medal, that medal will in fact be given to the 4th place finisher!
WOW!

jazzpants
02-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Link please?

Nicki
02-09-2006, 11:10 PM
How can this be? No one has even skated yet. I love Michelle Kwan, but this is not how I want her to get a medal. Hopefully, this article is a mistake on the part of Sports Illustrated.

Mercedeslove
02-10-2006, 01:26 AM
That's pretty crappy and unfair to everyone else. I honestly hope that is not true. If it is, what ashame for the world of figure skating

Giving someone a medal who did not earn simply because of who they are.

Let the people who actually skated thier butts off have it.

The winner should have to be co-champion to someone who did not earm an OGM.

stardust skies
02-10-2006, 02:57 AM
I'm sure the article was a joke. They can't do that, even if she IS the Kween. There are other very decorated and beloved skaters who didn't win OGM and never got a "honorary" medal. None of the federations would EVER let this go down. As well they shouldn't...that would be the most RIDICULOUS thing ever. I highly doubt Michelle would even accept it. She's got diva moments, but she's a classy girl nonetheless, and she'd know better.

Schmeck
02-10-2006, 05:15 AM
This has got to be a farce...

crayonskater
02-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Yeah. I'm pretty sure SI was being sarcastic.

jazzpants
02-10-2006, 11:03 AM
This has got to be a farce...That's why I asked for a link! :twisted: (I thought it was an early April Fool's joke!)

And for all those who post that MK or Sasha is retiring this year from amateur figure skating, you better have a link from a legit source to back up your story!!! :twisted: :lol:

Petlover
02-10-2006, 02:05 PM
This has definitely got to be a joke. Michelle has always seemed to have high standards and integrity and I definitely don't think she would be agreeable to this.

PrayingForIrina
02-11-2006, 01:07 AM
This has definitely got to be a joke. Michelle has always seemed to have high standards and integrity and I definitely don't think she would be agreeable to this.

I KNOW she wouldn't.....Irina on the other hand, gladly accepted her Farce Gold Medal from her federation in 2002 :roll:

Lark
02-11-2006, 09:49 PM
This was a total tongue-in-cheek response to all the Kwan-haters on this Board.

I had no intention of carrying it this far, but I have been working a LOT the last 2 days, and quite honestly forgot to come on and tell you all I was kiddin'.

Sorry. :giveup:

Lark
02-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Actually, it seems to have had the desired effect! :halo:

Ewdokia
02-15-2006, 11:36 AM
I KNOW she wouldn't.....Irina on the other hand, gladly accepted her Farce Gold Medal from her federation in 2002 :roll:Well, Irina on the other hand actually COMPETED in 2002! - Obviousely many people back home in Russia thought, she deserved the gold - and not only in Russia I might add. :P

Kevin Callahan
02-15-2006, 04:53 PM
There are no Kwan-haters here. At least, none that would be welcome here after they revealed being so.

I'm a Kwan-disappointee, but that's a different thing all together. Being dissappointed in her actions, and only her most recent actions that, hardly constitutes hatred.

That being said: I SUPPORT EMILY HUGHES. :D

AuroraBorealis
02-15-2006, 06:14 PM
I KNOW she wouldn't.....Irina on the other hand, gladly accepted her Farce Gold Medal from her federation in 2002 :roll:

That isn't true. The medal Irina got had nothing to do with the Russian FS bodies. It was from some wealthy businessman and the whole thing was totally personal.
Besides, Michelle got a plastic golden medal from Peggy Flemming in SLC.