View Full Version : Knee Injury killed my skating...

Petitemerveille
02-08-2006, 09:01 PM
I've injured my left knee twice, once during summer 2004- I had sharp pain now and then, turns out that I somehow burst my bursar or made it swell, it was rather hazy but I underwent physiotherapy, ultrasound and shockwave treatment and it feels okay again. At least good enough to skate.

Then I had another injury on the same knee (left) last summer. This time it's different, when people touch my knee, even a light tap, I would scream and wake the whole of Europe. Doctor didn't take any X-rays, seems my bone is fine but he told me that I might have bruised the bone (patella) or I might have burst my bursar (again) or made is all puffy and swollen. I underwent around 3 sessions of ultrasound and the wave treatment again and took a few tablets of Acroxia (for anti-inflammation). It helped only very, very moderately. As time goes by, the pain goes away and I become much more immune or perhaps it healed. I still feel discomfort and when you touch the right spot and press it a little hard, it would hurt me a little bit. Not enough to make me scream though.

I have stopped ice skating for a while but I keep on bumping my knee and hurt it. So even without skating I tickle it anyways, I thought, might as well. I recently started on my skating again because I can't stand it any longer.

EastonSkater
02-08-2006, 09:12 PM
You should take a long rest to see if your knee recovers. Pain obviously means something isn't well, so probably better to give it a good long rest. And wear knee pads. I've never hurt my knees or elbows before ... I can bump the knees....doesn't even hurt...because the knee pads cushion the impact.

phoenix
02-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I'd keep searching for a doctor who is willing to be a detective to find out what the trouble is and then FIX it! A sports doctor would be ideal.

stardust skies
02-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Well it depends. If you're training for the Olympics/Worlds/Nationals or something, then I would say keep training, and in the meantime find some physical therapy to get rid of the pain. I also think you should get some MRI's because it sounds like maybe there is some ligament tear or something else. When it hurts and you can still use it fine, it's rarely the BONE. Find someone willing to figure out what's wrong and fix it, whether you skate til you're 80 or quit tomorrow. Nagging pain ALWAYS comes back some time. You gotta take care of it.

Meanwhile if you are only skating recreationally, I would take a rest during this period of trying to find out what's wrong and of rehabbing. There is no reason to hurt your body more if this isn't gonna be your career, and you can always come back later as there is no rush if this is a hobby, and I would guess it'd be better to make sure you can enjoy this hobby for years and years to come, and for that you need to make sure you're not slowly breaking your body down.

So, it really depends on your goals. I personally keep training through almost every kind of pain/injury because that's how I do things, and while I'll be sorry when I'm 30-40, I really don't care about it now and I'll deal with it then. It's a personal decision- do you mind destroying your body for this sport? Yes or no, and you've got your answer. Either way though, you SHOULD know what is wrong with it before making the decision. It could be serious, and sometimes it just ain't worth it.

crayonskater
02-08-2006, 10:47 PM
From what you've said, it seems you aren't in pain now. You're probably okay with light skating if it's not hurting.

If skating bothers you, stop. In any case, I would talk to a doctor familiar with sports injuries. Even if you're healed now and it's not hurting, a doctor can provide exercise suggestions to strengthen the muscles around the knee to prevent further injury.

quilt
02-08-2006, 11:40 PM
definately don't give up trying to find out what is wrong. You might try an alternative activity while you are healing to stay fit. Bicycling would build up the muscles around your knees and is low impact. You never know what could happen. I used this therapy for a knee injury and ended up cycling half way across the U.S. one summer and around the top of Scotland the next.

batikat
02-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Hmm I think maybe I have the same problem. Isn't bursitis what they used to call 'Housemaid's Knee'. That's what I call my knee pain anyway which makes hubby laugh as I am not known for my housewifely skills:lol:

My knee feels fine until I kneel on it in the wrong spot. This means it is mostly OK for skating, except when I runthrough my programme which starts off in - you guessed it - a kneeling position on that knee!!!!8O :o ! I have to be very careful to get the knee position exactly right.

I dont' recall knocking that knee at all but I guess I must have done something. The other knee also had something similar for a while - the second type of 'touch it and I scream' pain you describe. That came on after a session of sitting in a chair with my legs curled under me (so it's not just skating that can be dangerous!!) :lol: :roll: The worst activity for me when that was bad was getting in the car to drive as I was forever bumping my bad knee on the steering wheel as I got in (neighbours could tell when I was going out by the screams from the driveway!)

The knee that is bad now is the same one I damaged skiing 15 years ago. I was supposed to have some sort of operation but never did and horseriding and skating seem to have helped it (becasue they strengthen the quads and other supporting muscles for the knee).

I wouldnt' think it woudl be necessary for you to give up skating (unless you are the sort that falls on your knees a lot!) but the best bet is probably to follow your doctors advice - if the doctor thinks you should rest it then rest it and if not, then carry on skating but be as careful as you can not to knock it.

The really painful one - from kneeling on a chair (which made me scream even if my trousers just rubbed lightly) got better by itself fairly quickly. This knee pain seems to be dragging on but I'm not giving up my life for it...

off to the rink now.... take care.

Rusty Blades
02-09-2006, 10:01 AM
You really SHOULD have it checked out by someone specializing in sports medicine!

It was injury to both knees that took me out of skating in 1968. Being in the middle of nowhere, it was never properly treated and bothered me for more than 10 years - a knee would just suddenly "go out" with no warning and down I'd go.

Figureskates
02-09-2006, 11:02 AM
You really SHOULD have it checked out by someone specializing in sports medicine!

It was injury to both knees that took me out of skating in 1968. Being in the middle of nowhere, it was never properly treated and bothered me for more than 10 years - a knee would just suddenly "go out" with no warning and down I'd go.

I agree. It was a knee injury that took me out of skating in 1967. I had surgery for a partially rebuilt left knee in 1968 and was off the ice for about 30 years until I got the nerve to try again.

Rusty Blades
02-09-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree. It was a knee injury that took me out of skating in 1967. I had surgery for a partially rebuilt left knee in 1968 and was off the ice for about 30 years until I got the nerve to try again.

Hey Figureskates, WELCOME BACK! Shall we wobble around the ice together 8-)

plinko
02-09-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm one of those who is now 30-40 and yeah, having to worry about the damage I did that "didn't matter then".

I have tendonosis in one knee, so badly, that it will be a year before I will be 100%. I kept skating, it hurt, I rested, skated, it came back, faster every time until I couldn't even put my foot down at one point. I did not get treatment, and resting was okay but it didn't address the problem, which requires a physio and an exercise program.

I've torn something in the other knee. That one hurts All The Time. It will heal, again, under the care of a physio/sports doctor.

I'm still skating through all of this, but between coach/physio/doctor/me, we have a plan as to what I can do and what I can't. Literally, I can run, but I can't jump. I would never have been able to do this on my own, from what you describe, you need expert advice.

There's a big competition coming up, and that's why I'm pushing myself under supervision. When it's over, my rehab program will change drastically.

(I have health insurance, obviously)

Petitemerveille
02-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I seem to have Batikat's problem *grin*- it's good that finally I know someone with a similar problem and the fact that she's still skating, gives me hope. I will still skate and I'll make sure that I don't fall on that knee. I will get some knee protection as well, just in case. I do agree that sometimes sports (such as skating) will help build up the muscles and strenghten it rather than hurt it.

I also fear that it might be a problem later (as in plinko's case). I will try my best to get it treated.

Sometimes I don't trust physiotherapy nor those shockwave treatment. I prefer to take in medicine (such as acroxia) to reduce the inflammation- or perhaps operation if deemed necessary. I still have those two minuscule lumps that really worries me. Although one doctor told me that they're only adhesions or residues from the fall, not harmful at all, but it's still really, really odd.