View Full Version : Beginning Figure Skating

Micky-Fox
02-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Hey all, I'm new here. And have recently taken up a strong interest in figure skating. I started around two weeks ago. I am skating down at my local rink about 10 minutes from here. I am 15 years old. I attend skate school from 3.30pm to 5.30pm on Monday and Wednesday and on Saturday it goes from 9.00am to 10.00am. I also attend an adult class on Tuesday nights from 6.30pm to 7.30pm. On Tuesdays at 7.30pm and Saturdays at 10.00am which is when the adult class ends and skate school ends, there is an extra two hour public skate session which I get to attend for free, and normally spend revising what I was taught in the previous session.

I also have private coaching on Mondays after skate school with an instructor from the rink. So, I hit the ice a fair bit, as you can see. I am currently just using rental skates from the rink, which aren't very good at all, so it hinders my progress. I have ordered a pair of Jackson R-4's (I think) through the rink and they should arrive within two weeks. I am very serious about it, and I absolutely love it. As for my progress, I have learnt things such as a three turn and can now do my three jump quite well. My instructor told me that he started when he was 15 and he was national champion after three years of skating. So, it's possible, right? I'm really dedicated, and I want to take my skating all the way, maybe even to the Olympics! Do you guys have any tips or comments I might find useful? Thanks a bunch!

EastonSkater
02-04-2006, 08:21 PM
My instructor told me that he started when he was 15 and he was national champion after three years of skating. So, it's possible, right? I'm really dedicated, and I want to take my skating all the way, maybe even to the Olympics! Do you guys have any tips or comments I might find useful? Thanks a bunch!

I'm not sure... I thought national champions all started skating when they were like 3 or 5 or something. I think if you're a very talented sports person, then I guess it could be possible to do that. The only obvious tip is have a top quality coach and just make a note of how quickly you pick up and master the skills. For a normal person, it might not be easy. For an extremely gifted and extremely dedicated person...maybe.

Micky-Fox
02-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Well, I do skate four times a week, plus private coaching. And he was 15 when he started, and he was the national champion after three years of skating. That's what he told me. Overall, I skate around 10 hours a week, and am extremely dedicated to it. I have a passion for it, I love it. I have also been told by one of the coaches, Nancy (who is an ex-Olympian) that I am learning fast, and should get my own skates as soon as possible (which are on order). If you have passion for something, you can go far, because from passion, comes dedication and comittment. I believe I can do this if I commit myself.

EastonSkater
02-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Is that Nancy Kerrigan? Ok...if Nancy Kerrigan says you're learning fast, then there's a chance.

crayonskater
02-04-2006, 09:17 PM
For now, just have fun learning. I'm not sure where you skate; in the U.S., it would be very rare for a 15 year old to start skating and become National Champion by age 18. Many of the future champions are landing triple jumps in elementary school.

Practice and work hard, and see how far you can go; you can always re-evaluate later what your goals are.

Micky-Fox
02-04-2006, 10:02 PM
No, it's not Nancy Kerrigan. I just done some research on her. Her name is Nancy Burley, formerly known as Nancy Hallam. She was a World Championship competitor and Olympic representative. Her daughter Sharon (who also coaches at the rink) is a four time Australian Ladies Champion, five time World Championship competitor, Olympic representative and star of an American show 'Ice Capades' for five years. Her youngest daughter, Robyn, is a three times Australian Ladies Champion, twice World Championship competitor and winner of the World Professional Ladies Championship.

And I will do just that, Crayon Skater. I really do love it. I'll see how far I go, and I'll dedicate myself to it. I believe it is very possible to reach my goals if I dedicate myself to it and train hard. If my coach can do it, so can I. He seems to really want to get me there, and I believe I can.

stardust skies
02-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Okay, here is my advice to you.

First of all, if anyone tells you that you are too old, laugh at them- they don't know what they are talking about. As someone once said, "if somebody tells you that you can't do something, it really means that THEY can't." Especially for boys, 15 is not too old. Most men peak in this sport between 23-27 so as you see, you've got plenty of time. Look at Todd Elderedge, Michael Weiss, et al. As for starting when you're 3...that's dumb. I mean, I started very very young but I don't think it would've mattered all that much if I hadn't, I can't remember that far back anyways. The thing is that if you DO start that young, it's usually a once weekly learn to skate class, and it's mainly for fun so you progress very very slowly. People never start getting *serious* training until anywhere between 8-11 years old at the youngest, so you are not THAT far behind, especially if you are gifted and learn fast.
Johnny Weir, our 3 time U.S. National champ, didn't start skating 'til he was 10 and look at him now. Mr. Protopopov didn't start skating 'til his early 20's, and he did alright for himself. Everybody picks things up at different times, and you're not 55+ or something, so while yes, you may be slightly behind, there's no reason you couldn't achieve your goals.

On the flipside, I must tell you to SLOW DOWN. You haven't been doing this very long. Wait 'til you have to learn doubles, triples, flying spins, mind-bending footwork, put tests up in front of judges and receive some at times harsh criticism, go to local competitions, put up with an exhausting work out schedule, etc...You haven't done any of this yet, you can't possibly know whether or not you're really gonna wanna do this until you've taken some tests and done some competitions and tried to learn some difficult jumps and inevitably injured yourself because everybody does at some point and that's when you see who's in this for the long haul and who isn't...it gets very tricky, and every skill starts taking longer and longer to learn. After you've done all of these things, you'll start to form an idea as to whether this is really for you or not- of course you wanna go for it right now, you have it super easy and you can't even begin to fathom how difficult and tedious this sport is at the level you are right now wishing to take it to. No matter how talented you are, you're going to get stuck somewhere, on some move. You could be stuck on this same move for YEARS. It's not uncommon for people to spend 2-3 years learning the double or triple axel. It's not uncommon for some people to NEVER get it. What I'm saying is...it's great that you're picking things up so fast, but what you're being taught now is the very easy stuff, and don't get used to everything coming easily. It very well might continue coming easily for you, but it might not. You won't know til you get there. The fact that your coach was a National champ in three years means nothing- he's not you. What matters is how many years it will take you. Anything is doable by SOME person, but it doesn't mean you can do it. It's going to take a while to figure that out for yourself.

Also, be careful not to burn out. I know you love it, you can't get enough of it, you wanna learn everything now, and you don't think you'll EVER get sick of this..but you will. Everyone does. You'll get burned out at some point, and the more you try to cram in a short period of time especially at the beginning, the harder it'll hit you. I'm not saying skate less- if you wanna go to Nationals and so forth you need to skate as much as you can especially because you *are* behind, but don't forget to breathe and have some fun at these basic levels. There's plenty of time to become obsessive later on. I'm not saying obsessive in a negative way, by the way. I'm very obsessive about my training- but I wasn't when I was learning 3 turns, and I turned out okay.

All in all, I think only YOU know whether or not you really have a chance of achieving your goals, don't let other people answer this for you. But you couldn't possibly know the answer to this right now, you don't know enough about the sport or about your body in relation to this sport. When you land clean double axels, then you might be able to re-evaluate whether you still think you can get to Nationals/Worlds/etc.. and if you still really want to. Until then, be serious, skate hard, but also take it with a grain of salt because you are very new to this and there is no reason to start packing your bags for your first Grand Prix assignment, either. This sport takes a LOT of time, so pace yourself. Good luck, and welcome aboard! :)

Micky-Fox
02-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Wow. It never fails to amaze me, the people such as yourself who go out of their way to write posts as long as that in order to help someone such as myself. I appreciate it greatly. Thank you. Your advice will be very useful, Stardust Skies. I suppose I am over-working a bit, I just really do love it. I do hope I can make this my career, because it is such a thrilling and beautiful sport. But like you said, only time will tell me whether or not I wish to continue with it in the future. For now, I will train hard, enjoy it (like I already am) and just do what I love... skate. Thank you, once again, Stardust Skies. :)

EastonSkater
02-05-2006, 01:57 AM
First of all, if anyone tells you that you are too old, laugh at them- they don't know what they are talking about. As someone once said, "if somebody tells you that you can't do something, it really means that THEY can't.

That's not necessarily true right? Kids start young so their body can be exercised and their flexibility worked on. Like doing back bends, splits etc....and not necessarily the splits in the usual position....but those ones when you're standing upright and then you balance and use your hand to hold your leg or skate or something.

Tonichelle
02-05-2006, 02:05 AM
I'm not sure... I thought national champions all started skating when they were like 3 or 5 or something. I think if you're a very talented sports person, then I guess it could be possible to do that. The only obvious tip is have a top quality coach and just make a note of how quickly you pick up and master the skills. For a normal person, it might not be easy. For an extremely gifted and extremely dedicated person...maybe.

Scott Hamilton started when he was 8, and IIRC Johnny Weir was 9 or 10 when he started... Ben Ferreira was 10 when he started (and 3-4 years later he was in a Kurt Browning special!)

my brother is 11 and he just started a couple of months ago... it's tougher as you get older to really just go all out and what not, but he feels he can do it if he puts his mind to it... so good luck to you! :bow:

EastonSkater
02-05-2006, 02:57 AM
yep yep ... I think guys might be able to get away with it a little. Although, for girls..... if they haven't done those extreme back bends and gymnastic leg holds etc, there may be some set-backs.

stardust skies
02-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Wow. It never fails to amaze me, the people such as yourself who go out of their way to write posts as long as that in order to help someone such as myself. I appreciate it greatly. Thank you. Your advice will be very useful, Stardust Skies. I suppose I am over-working a bit, I just really do love it. I do hope I can make this my career, because it is such a thrilling and beautiful sport. But like you said, only time will tell me whether or not I wish to continue with it in the future. For now, I will train hard, enjoy it (like I already am) and just do what I love... skate. Thank you, once again, Stardust Skies. :)

Haha, it's nooooo problem. Once I start typing I sort of just keep going and going and I cannot stop rambling. I do that in real life too. I can't seem to make very concise points, I need 20 billion sentences. But hey, if any of it helped, then yay!!

And EastonSkater- of course I agree flexibility needs to be worked on early on, but I also think that 1. boys don't have to worry about flexibility AS much as girls do so I think he'll be okay at 15 and 2. just because you don't start skating early doesn't mean you didn't do ballet/gymnastics/etc early so there really needs to be more background info before saying someone is doomed if they don't start at 5, you know? They could be ex-ballerinas/gymnasts and then that would make up for lack of early skating experience...skating really doesn't get anyone flexible, it's the off ice that does. And as far as unflexible girls that still were successful...have you seen Tara Lipinski's spiral and layback when she won OLY gold? They were painful to watch, that girl had no extension (even though I loved her). Haha.

I think that if you really want something and it's still physically doable, then you should go for what you can do and sort of improvise on how to deal with setbacks later- it isn't going to help him any to just walk away cause he thinks it can't be done and then inevitably crawl back to the sport (because if it's in you, it's in you) when he's in his 40's and then he'll REALLY be behind if he wants to go to the Olympics ;). Lack of flexibility can always be worked on, even if it can't be mastered, to a point where it may not be an asset, but probably won't be a hinderance, either. That's just my take on this, but I'm an endless optimist.

And...I rambled again. I also shouldn't be awake right now. :twisted: :halo:

Micky-Fox
02-05-2006, 04:15 AM
Hmm, flexibility. That is indeed a key point in figure skating, whether with male or female. I suppose I would classify myself as rather flexible. I am a former athlete, I ran track from childhood until just last year. Still do, but not as intensely as I did. Now, I just wait until the season starts and then begin some training again. I also done Karate as a child, along with a little Capoeira (brazilian martial art/dance), so the flexibility issue isn't such a big deal. I suppose if I started a pilates class or something, I could get more flexible, well... flexible enough to execute figure skating moves. Sharon Burley teaches a pilates class as a part of her skating programme. I guess I could start something there. :)

Rusty Blades
02-05-2006, 05:49 AM
One thing that has not been mentioned yet is the TREMENDOUS dedication and sacrifice it takes to reach a regional or sectional level - National is ten times more! Most people who are "on the radar" at Nationals have virtually NO life outside of skating - they skate or train most of every day all year round. It sounds exciting, to skate in front of the judges at a major competition but that is a small fraction of 1% of what skating is all about and you have to be DRIVEN plus have the talent, not just "driven" for a year or two but MANY years. It is also terribly expensive - ice time, coaches, trainers, new skates a couple of times a year, costumes, travel. And of the best skaters in the WORLD, only a very few can make a living at it. Skating is something that is much better to do for love than money or recognition!

I came to skating when I was 14 - late for a girl. By 16 I was skating every day (except Sunday), twice a day for 4 days a week and by 19 I was putting in about 20 hours a week on ice (while holding down a full time job). There was also off-ice training which took similar time, so skating is also a full time job. If you have to work to support yourself, that's a second full time job. (If your parents are rich, you only have to worry about one job!). School has to fit in there somewhere (you can't earn a living skating!) and forget about a "social life" - your only friends will be the other rink rats. Believe me, heading out to the rink every morning before sunrise, being tired, working on the same things day after day gets old in a hurry! It isn't glamorous - it's hard work and drudgery!

I was just starting to get close to being able to compete beyond the local clubs after 5 years of working my tail off. At that point, if I was going to continue, I was going to have to move away from home to join one of the premiere clubs with top-flight coaches and spend about twice as much per year as both my Dad and I made!

I wrecked and ended up on crutches - thus ended my skating career - so that huge investment I made was for not. (Now, after 36 years, I am returning to the ice for the joy of it.)

I don't want to rain on your parade but if you are thinking it is an easy road and anybody can do it, it isn't true. You have to be willing to pay the price and the price is high, both in dollars and in what you will have to give up. And you have to have the character and dogged determination to stick with it when you are cold, tired, sore, lonely, in pain, or injured - they will all happen.

If you are serious, you need to be aware of the cost and sacrifice.....

angelskates
02-05-2006, 06:08 AM
yep yep ... I think guys might be able to get away with it a little. Although, for girls..... if they haven't done those extreme back bends and gymnastic leg holds etc, there may be some set-backs.

Miriam Manzano (current and multiple Australian National Champion) started skating at 11.

EastonSkater
02-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Miriam Manzano (current and multiple Australian National Champion) started skating at 11.

11 is still reasonably young I guess. Also depends on how flexible they are and things like that.

jp1andOnly
02-05-2006, 09:33 AM
AS a sister of a national level skater, my parents coughed up about $30,000 a year for him. Even though he didnt go to the Olympics, my parents knew he enjoyed the sport and it was his passion, so they continued to pay.

Since you are starting out, costs are low. Enjoy yourself and have fun. As you get more and more elements, you start to see the bigger picture of things. Right now you have a small piece of the puzzle. Just keep adding those pieces. Each year you will be able to reasess your goals.

Enjoy!

2loop2loop
02-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I started at 15 and was landing axels and some doubles within a year. I'm 26 now and though I can't say I ever got close to the Olympics, I think it is fair to say that you can get quite a long way starting at 15. 15 is young enough that you can still develop the technique for multirevolution jumps much as a younger child would, it becomes much more difficult once you are into your late teens and 20's. How far you can go with the jumps depends on how athletic you are, how quickly you can pick up the technique, how much coaching you get and how long you can take the falls. I have strong doubles, but it is only on occasional practice sessions that I decide to have a go at some double axels or triple sals/loops, but I've landed some and it's not conceivable that with more determination than I've got you could take it further.

The most important thing is enjoying it, and as I've discovered you can go on being competitive in this sport as long as you like - in 10 or 15 year's time you may find some of your adult competitors are jealous of your early start!

John

stardust skies
02-05-2006, 06:47 PM
One other positive thing though, is that I am guessing by your large vocabulary (most American 15 year-olds don't spell/express themselves as well you) AND by the way you spell program ("programme"), that you are from the U.K. I am in no way dissing the level of competition in the U.K., but if you do compete there and have a goal of being National champion THERE and getting sent to the Olys from there rather than from the U.S., you have a much much better chance as it *is* much less competitive out there than it is in the U.S.

Not saying it'll be a walk in the park, it won't be, and you have some great competitors out there, but it'll be much less difficult because the field isn't as deep as it is out here. So, another positive for ya!

Another negative though, is, as people have brought up in posts above this one- it's going to cost a fortune. I mean..a FORTUNE. Especially if you wanna go all the way, and especially since you have so many years to catch up. I have no idea how much ice time costs there or how much coaches charge for private lessons, but...everyone I know (me included) gets at least two 20 min. private lessons a day, 5 days a week. The people who place at Nationals get much more than that- more like an hour to an hour and a half a day. It adds up when you do this 5-6 days a week, for many years. Make sure you've got the funds you need when getting into this, because a lot of people don't realize how much it is going to cost to get to the top. This is not even factoring in travel fees, competition and testing fees, personal trainers, choreographers, MITF (do you guys have moves in the field in the U.K?), etc..

Michelle Kwan's dad sold their house when she was little so he could afford to keep her skating. Obviously it paid off, but it won't pay off for everyone- not many people will be as successful as she has been. This sport is a blackhole as far as money is concerned- you are never done spending. So think about that, as well. There are times you can get sponsorships, but generally sponsors only offer you money once you've made money and don't really need them anymore. All one needs to do is look at people like Rohene Ward who does triples in both directions and quads yet struggles to pay for his training to realize that talent doesn't equal sponsors, only results do, and usually to get results, you need to put in a lot of $$ to get there. The only reason Rohene even got to where he is, is because he was discovered at 10 years-old by a coach who saw so much potential she decided to coach him entirely for free. You can sometimes find this arrangement, but it's very very rare, and really only happens if the child is much younger. I don't think it's impossible to succeed while starting at your age, but I don't think any coach would take a gamble with their paycheck on it, either.

So, more stuff to think about!

stardust skies
02-05-2006, 06:52 PM
(you can't earn a living skating!)

That's not true- a lot of fellow skaters and I all coach private lessons on the side to make some extra money. Even Johnny Weir does this in the summer, as well as other top-ranked skaters. It doesn't affect your eligibility, and if you've had some decent Regional/Sectional results, you can charge anywhere between $30/$35 for 20 minutes, at least in my region. Imagining you coach an hour a day, you still make more money than anyone else could make in retail or customer service position. I make more money just by coaching an hour a day at the end of my day than most of my friends do working at Starbucks, and they are on their feet for HOURS daily. And if you don't wanna leave skating after your career is over, and you coach all day everyday and have a good amount of students, you can make a small fortune at this. If you've got all your tests and PSA ratings here, you can easily charge $40 for 20 minutes. Working a 5-7 hour day, 5 days a week...you do the math. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ aplenty. ;)

Rusty Blades
02-05-2006, 07:40 PM
That's not true- a lot of fellow skaters and I all coach private lessons on the side to make some extra money.

Sorry, wasn't thinking of coaches but rather people who get paid to skate in performance or get money thru advertising spots, etc. Of course there are many who earn income through supporting skaters.

2loop2loop
02-05-2006, 07:46 PM
I am in no way dissing the level of competition in the U.K., but if you do compete there and have a goal of being National champion THERE and getting sent to the Olys from there rather than from the U.S., you have a much much better chance as it *is* much less competitive out there than it is in the U.S.

Unfortunately not, even if you qualify for the Olympics the British Olympic Association has a policy of not sending anyone without a reasonable chance of finishing within the top half of the field. But what you've said could be true for Europeans and Worlds.

Realistically though, being able to challenge at national level, even in the UK, is a pipedream for anyone starting out at 15 (in fact there is more depth here in the men's field than in the ladies) but that doesn't mean that you can't become a seriously good skater.

John

stardust skies
02-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Unfortunately not, even if you qualify for the Olympics the British Olympic Association has a policy of not sending anyone without a reasonable chance of finishing within the top half of the field. But what you've said could be true for Europeans and Worlds.

Realistically though, being able to challenge at national level, even in the UK, is a pipedream for anyone starting out at 15 (in fact there is more depth here in the men's field than in the ladies) but that doesn't mean that you can't become a seriously good skater.

John

I didn't know that- I wonder how much it costs a federation to send an athlete to the games...it can't be THAT much money and even if they don't finish well it's always nice to have Olympians on your team..I don't get why they wouldn't send anybody. You never know when half the competitors could have a meltdown and the athlete in question could have a breakthrough. Seems like it would just make sense to try...but obviously those higher ups never think that way, heheh.

I agree that it's a pipedream, but...really, it'd be a pipedream even if he had started skating at 2. I mean, hardly anyone makes it to the top, regardless of how old they were when they started. Might as well go for it anyway then, the way all those other skaters are, 97 percent of which will never make an international team. The only way he's absolutely guaranteed to never reach his goals if if he doesn't try. Miracles happen all the time in sport- this probably wouldn't be the most astounding one to date if he or anyone else in a similar situation suceeded, IMO. :)

Micky-Fox
02-06-2006, 03:18 AM
One other positive thing though, is that I am guessing by your large vocabulary (most American 15 year-olds don't spell/express themselves as well you) AND by the way you spell program ("programme"), that you are from the U.K.

Actually, I'm from Australia. I just like to type properly and wasn't too sure on which way to write 'programme' or should I say 'program'? :P Do you know what the competition is like here? I have never seen a competion from over here. How hard is it to excel in Australian figure skating?

And speak of the devil, I just got back from skating. I am now on a three times a week basis. Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Tuesday nights are optional, but I am pretty confident in attending them too. Like the owner of the rink said to my mum this afternoon... "This boy would skate seven days a week if he could!". Haha. My skates should be here soon as well. I am starting to get my toe loop going as well. I can do it, just not very high. Nancy told me that after I finish my skate school and do my first test, Sharon (her daughter; 4 times Australian Ladies Champion, five times World Championship competitor and Olympian) has big plans for me. Not sure what, but I am guessing she wants to get into coaching me. And to be coached by Sharon would be wonderful. Nancy said that it won't be long until I have enough of the basic skills to pass my preliminary test and move on to harder training. She told my mum how keen I am and how fast I am learning... good news to hear! :)

twokidsskatemom
02-10-2006, 02:34 AM
never start getting *serious* training until anywhere between 8-11 years old at the youngest, so you are not THAT far behind, especially if you are gifted and learn fast.

I know 8 year olds working on doubles, and 6 year old learning axles.I think its like life, SOME kids are serious the moment they put on skates at age 4 and some arent.
Im interested in what you call serious training? 2 hours a day, 3, 4,?
And yes weir started late, and men have a longer shelf life in this sport that girls.That said, MOST well know, female skaters who have medaled in nationals, olys ect have started young. I dont mean to blow your bubble away. You can do lots with starting at your age.
But its work, work work more work and money.More work, more falls more everything.Stardust was right, you dont know what you are getting into yet. See how you feel in a year.
Good luck no matter what. I dont think its ever too late to skate !!!

EastonSkater
02-10-2006, 02:50 AM
I'm not sure if any aussie has ever won any medal before in any world or olympic competition. I don't think it's ever been done. Ice skating in a lot of winter countries is as popular as riding a bike or something. While in Australia, it's just not the same...culturally/traditionally different. Mainly because Australia is somewhat a warm weather place. Over in the winter countries, there's more cream of the crop to pick. While in Australia, there is virtually no crop to pick.

But just like anything, we've got to start somewhere, and the level of aussie skating is getting better and better, just like aussie gymnastics.

Alicia
02-10-2006, 02:49 PM
My instructor told me that he started when he was 15 and he was national champion after three years of skating. So, it's possible, right? I'm really dedicated, and I want to take my skating all the way, maybe even to the Olympics! Do you guys have any tips or comments I might find useful? Thanks a bunch!

Maybe the reason Aussi's don't win is because they don't start skating until they are 15!!

EastonSkater
02-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Maybe the reason Aussi's don't win is because they don't start skating until they are 15!!

There's also a lack of skating rinks too maybe. We have absolutely no skating rinks at any universities here in Australia. While in winter countries, lots of universities have their own full sized skating rinks for students to use every day and even at nights. And some university rinks even allow non-students to join up for reasonably good prices so that they can skate as much as they want.....lots and lots of practice time.

CanAmSk8ter
02-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure what the policies are in Australia as far as sending skaters to internationals/Olympics, but the depth of skating in Australia isn't nearly what it is in the traditionally dominant countries like Canada, the U.S., and Russia. I used to train with one of their top men and I don't think he had a triple axel- if he did, it wasn't very consistant, because I never saw him land one. Has Australia ever had skaters medal at Olympics or Worlds? I think they had a pair team that cracked the top ten awhile back- they were National Champions when she was only like ten or something, mainly because the whole country only had a few pair teams.

I know we have some Aussie posters on these boards, so they can probably provide more information about how to start competing and testing- both things you'll want to do as soon as possible if you're serious about international competition. I'm certainly not going to say it's impossible to make an Olympic team starting at 15, especially in a country without a strong skating tradition, but know that you have more work ahead of you than you can possibly imagine. I agree with whoever said to lose a few competitions, fail a few tests, and get injured a few times before deciding you really want to do this. It's easy enough when you're starting out and everyone's encouraging, but there will be times when it's just not fun, and you'll have to decide if it's worth continuing to push yourself through it.

CanAmSk8ter
02-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Deleted accidental double post

Micky-Fox
02-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Yes, I agree. The amount of work ahead of me is gargantuan. But I am picking up quick... and fast learning is like a headstart (considering I started at 15). I only began skating a few weeks ago and I can already three jump and toe loop. I am actually doing okay at my toe loop. I can get a fair amount of hight when I jump off the pick and I rotate all the way around, but sometimes it's a clean landing and sometimes it isn't. I have never actually fell doing a toe loop (yet), but I have stumbled a few times. I just need to work on my landing and get my left leg extended, rather than keeping it tucked in. Something I plan on doing when I head down to the rink at lunchtime today. I'll let you guys know how I go. Thanks again! :)

twokidsskatemom
02-11-2006, 04:25 PM
But skating isnt just tricks. It isnt just jumps.Its edges, stroking, flow, posture,the whole picture. I dont mean to be a downer, but I see kids all the time that start later and just want to do the tricks.When they compete, they dont place well, as the judges see the presentation.
My daughter spends at least half the time on working on edges, moves, stroking the right way, posture.Its not all jumps or spins.

phoenix
02-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Another thing that can help you is to get into some off ice training immediately as well. Ballet is the typical skaters' off ice training, and it will go a long way to improving your core strength & presentation/posture/extension/ etc.

Time will tell if you have greatness in you. Meanwhile love the journey and make the most of every practice. As long as you love what you are doing you will be succeeding.

I agree, there will come some point where the progess slows and/or grinds to a halt, and that will be the point where you will see if you are cut out for the long haul. Everyone hits it; some are not naturally gifted & struggle with the very first, "easy" skills. Some pick the preliminary stuff up very easily & it's not until you get into the intermediate or more advanced levels that you falter. But at some point the talent will only get you so far, and after that it is only sheer hard work and persistance that lets you continue to progress.

Good luck, join us on the "on ice" section & you'll get lots of support!

stardust skies
02-11-2006, 09:50 PM
. Some pick the preliminary stuff up very easily & it's not until you get into the intermediate or more advanced levels that you falter.

That's me!!! When I was little I was like a little prodigy picking up everything under the SUN in minutes and then I hit a brick wall (known as the double axel) and I pretty much lost any headstart I had on my peers by that point, and even fell behind. I think that the quickest you pick up the "easy" stuff, the harder it'll hit you when there's something that you just can't do.

I also agree that it's not just about jumps. If you'd said you could do...the brackets in the field pattern from Interm. moves after just a few weeks, then I'd be impressed. But right now you still have a lottttttttt to learn. And while it's great that you got a toe loop, realize that it'll probably be another 6 months minimum before that toe loop is actually good enough to have the potential to be a double toe loop. And then that one will probably take a few years before it can become a triple toe loop. There's a huge difference between a single toe loop from people only doing singles, and a single toe loop from people who can do multi revolution jumps. Also, doubles are easy. Triples are mind-blowingly difficult. I cannot even convey this to you. So, as someone who has been there (thinking it'd be easy cause I got everythign quickly), I am telling you, though it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and like you are realizing this: at some point, it'll stop. It won't come easy anymore. And at that point, skating can become an absolute bane on your existence, and it'll take a lot of perseverence to keep showing up at the rink for two years to work (and fall) on the same damned jump.

..I'm not bitter. :P

sk8ertim
02-19-2006, 10:08 PM
No, it's not Nancy Kerrigan. I just done some research on her. Her name is Nancy Burley, formerly known as Nancy Hallam. She was a World Championship competitor and Olympic representative. Her daughter Sharon (who also coaches at the rink) is a four time Australian Ladies Champion, five time World Championship competitor, Olympic representative and star of an American show 'Ice Capades' for five years. Her youngest daughter, Robyn, is a three times Australian Ladies Champion, twice World Championship competitor and winner of the World Professional Ladies Championship.

And I will do just that, Crayon Skater. I really do love it. I'll see how far I go, and I'll dedicate myself to it. I believe it is very possible to reach my goals if I dedicate myself to it and train hard. If my coach can do it, so can I. He seems to really want to get me there, and I believe I can.
What are your Choaches Names