View Full Version : Where is the interest?

iceskater2
02-02-2006, 08:26 AM
I can not believe we are days away from the opening ceremonies and yet there is no interest in them on this board. What a difference these games are compared to 2002 when there were tons of people on the board going to the games including me. Going to the games was the greatest experience in my life and I have always loved watching them so much so that I am taking vacation during the entire games this year just to watch.

So where is the buzz? Can someone point me to a board where people are more interested in the Olympic games than the battle of "Kwan".

Patsy
02-02-2006, 08:57 AM
I know, it's really weird, isn't it?

www.fsuniverse.net

Aimless
02-02-2006, 09:24 AM
We have met the enemy and he is us? I don't understand it either. This board has changed I guess. Is the hot discussion elsewhere? I'm sure it will warm up as the games commence but it's surely not the gab fest here that it once was.

EastonSkater
02-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Well, the games hasn't actually started yet, so there's not much to talk about until we see some performances.

elanboy
02-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Since 2002 was in SLC, it was a lot easier and more economical for many North Americans to try and make a trip/vacation of it and actually attend an Olympics. I'm guessing most of the regular posters on here are from NA, and not willing or able to dole out the money it takes to get to Turino...but don't you worry, once the games begin there will be enough chatter to keep you entertained, if this current Michelle Kwan "controversy" is any indication...

skateflo
02-02-2006, 01:30 PM
The interest is there but there are 4 major skating sites that people check, cross post (sometimes) or mention their source when they post on the one they like the best.......fsuniverse does seem to get a lot of news the quickest and is international in flavor. Adults learn how to skim their forums to weed out the trash so to speak. But a lot of news does hit there first. Yahoo groups skatefans has mostly adults, many of whom have followed skating for decades, are very knowledgable and opinionated too but more overall balanced. Golden skate has picked up over the past year or so partly due to some excellant feature articles.

I'm sure all sites will get really busy once the skating starts. There hasn't been a whole lot of news once Belbin got her citizenship and Michelle kwan did her test skate. Many people have lost interest due to the CoP debacle and the perception that it will be a Russian sweep anyhow. Sadly, in addition to the previous, the USFSA doesn't have any clear 'champion' people can root for, except Cohen and perhaps Weir. It is as if our balloon has been punctured......

All the tv channels, the internet (Eurosport) will provide the bulk of our information for discussion, but it won't be like being there live. Ironically tickets have not sold well for Turin, even figure skating.....Lillehammer had the same problem. Cost has become the major factor for many (and time away from work/school - and events spread out over 2 weeks rather than 4-5 days.) All this IMHO.

Patsy
02-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Just a note: fsuniverse has a small charge to have access to its Olys section--to try to recoup the bandwith cost it's going to be faced with--and the deadline for doing that is Saturday, I believe.

iceskater2
02-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the replies glad to see some interest at least. Not sure I want to pay to look at a site :lol:

So those of you who are looking at this post. Who are you going to be cheering for?

I do not have cable so I have not seen many programs this year at all. I am going to try something entirely new this year. Look at programs fresh with no predetermined favorites should make things interesting.

icedancer2
02-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Not sure I want to pay to look at a site :lol:

Well, fsuniverse is ONLY $5 for a three-month subsciption. You don't need to be a member normally to look and participate on the board, it's just a way to support the running of the board.

BUT during the Olympics the only people who can access the pages strictly devoted to the Olympics will be the supporters. The rest of the site will be accessible to anyone and I am sure there will be Olympics related discussions going on in those forums.

I had noticed this year that there was much less actual skating discussion, unless it had to do with MK. And then it was getting to the point where the same people are saying the same things and so the discussions got kind of stale.

It also seems like this site is definitely becoming more and more of a site for adult skaters to discuss their own skating, but maybe that is just my take on it.

I'm looking forward to this Olympics, but think there will be a definite Russian sweep, unless, of course, something more interesting happens!:)

Hopefully we will get to see some good skating -- everything leading up to this point tells me that we will see some good performances this year.

babyballerina
02-03-2006, 05:21 PM
I can not believe we are days away from the opening ceremonies and yet there is no interest in them on this board. What a difference these games are compared to 2002 when there were tons of people on the board going to the games including me. Going to the games was the greatest experience in my life and I have always loved watching them so much so that I am taking vacation during the entire games this year just to watch.

I'm going to the Olympics! I'll watch the opening ceremony on TV at home and then I'm flying out the next day. I'm only going for the first week so no ladies (but I couldn't care less about MK.).

NB The place is Turin in English and Torino in Italian. There is no such place as Turino or Torin, as people keep using!

Moto Guzzi
02-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Babyballerina, have a wonderful time!

Meredith
02-03-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm going to the Olympics! You go, girl! Between tennis and skating, you've packed in quite a number of memorable events.

Take notes? Let us know what you see that most of us will not? :lol:

Laetitia_Hubert
02-03-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm glad someone finally brought this up!

There is very minimal interest on this board and even in my city of Toronto in general.

In terms of figure skating I think most people are just bored because the gold medal winners are pretty much obvious. Mind you ANYTHING can happen but the usual rivalries between 2-4 skaters that are up to par with one another and who are all fighting for gold is just no longer there. I'm not saying that we'll see no surprises at all at the Olympics but what I'm saying is that everything seems pretty much laid out for the most part.

Michelle's participation at the Olypmics definately adds much more drama to the event but seeing how she isn't at par with the other top skaters at this time her presense won't be as overwhelming as it was back in 2002 and 1998.

The battles between athletes is what keeps the Olympic torch within all of us alive and this year there just aren't any cut-throat rivalries between skaters.

I know that I personally won't miss a second of the Olympics but I do hope to see some outstanding performances and surprises!

Tonichelle
02-03-2006, 07:00 PM
school, work, life... something I didn't really have a lot of in 02 has hit me hard in 06... I'm not in high school anymore, which is probably a lot of everyone's reason...

it's slow everywhere as far as olympic talk is concerned except maybe FSU...

some of us don't want to jinx our favorites :giveup:

iceskater2
02-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Babyballerina

Oh you are so lucky. Have a wonderful time. I know for a fact it will be memories you will never forget. Which events are you going to watch and please be sure to post and let us know all the details.

babyballerina
02-05-2006, 11:18 AM
In terms of figure skating I think most people are just bored because the gold medal winners are pretty much obvious. Mind you ANYTHING can happen but the usual rivalries between 2-4 skaters that are up to par with one another and who are all fighting for gold is just no longer there. I'm not saying that we'll see no surprises at all at the Olympics but what I'm saying is that everything seems pretty much laid out for the most part.

I agree there are no obvious rivalries but I don't agree that the winners are obvious. The Olympic ice is notoriously slippery........

Oh you are so lucky. Have a wonderful time. I know for a fact it will be memories you will never forget. Which events are you going to watch and please be sure to post and let us know all the details.

I'm going to
pairs free
mens free
compulsory dance
womens curling first round (I've got to see team GB once in an event where we are not $%&£)
mens super giant slalom

I will try to attend some practices but I am going woth a friend who is a skating virgin (and staying for free with some friends of hers) so I probably won't do as much skating as I would like, as friend might not be able to take it!

I went to the Sydney Olympics and the moment I will always remember is watching the opening ceremony on a big screen at a beach bar, as the sun set behind us as we were slouched in deckchairs. We had to stand up and sing the Australian national anthem.

Between tennis and skating, you've packed in quite a number of memorable events.
I'm a bit of a sports junkie! I'm watching Scotland Vs France rugby right now, even though I'm neither Scottish nor French and actually don't really care. I'm much more into football (socccer) though my home town team are doing sooooo badly right now :( I have told my boss I will have to take compassionate leave if they're relegated........ I get far, far too involved.
I do love my tennis though. I've been to LOTS of tennis, much more than skating because I don't have to travel much for it (though I did go to Australia - see above) I am awaiting Wimbledon tickets any day now, fingers crossed.

I am currently excited out of my mind. There is just no point in going to work this week.

loveskating
02-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I used to love the Olympics...I loved them since my childhood and so looked forward to them every time...but that was before Salt Lake City.

Now I dread them, fearing some bamboozeling shenanigans.

VGL
02-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Things have changed here, although I'm sure things will pick up next weekend. Hopefully people will remember to use spoilers in any Olympic discussions.

Schmeck
02-05-2006, 07:59 PM
There hasn't even been much hype on U.S. television that I've noticed - which network is doing the coverage?

I think the ladies' event will be very interesting - will Slutskaya be healthy, will Cohen get the nervous nillies again, how will Kwan do? Which Japanese lady will be on the podium, because I'm thinking that at least one will be one there, but which one???

I'm sorry to say that I haven't been following the men's event at all - any ideas?

iceskater2
02-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Babyballerina
You have some great events you will be seeing. I am thrilled for you.. Have a great time. Seems we also have another sport in common I love Tennis and love Andre Agassi. Would love to be able to see him play one day.

Schmeck
I am in the same boat as you I have no picks for any of the disciplines except Ladies. I think it will be exciting to just judge it based on what I see.

PS NBC is doing the broadcast.

LTM
02-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Schmeck---if one is Canadian the big question in the men's event will be
--which Emmanual Sandhu shows up for the competition? Always a bit of a mystery that.:frus:

Maybe that's part of the problem. No real big showdowns. The picks for gold
(all Russians) seem to be unstoppable so it Turin seems to be shaping up to
be "Battles for the Bronze", fine for rabid fans, not that interesting for the majority.
SLC left a stench behind and skating hasn't recovered. I think that's reflected in the lack of activity on the boards sometimes.
But hopefully by the start of the Games it will pick up

Tonichelle
02-06-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm going to

compulsory dance

cheer loud for Gregory & Petukhov then! :D hee hee! :D

Schmeck
02-06-2006, 05:05 PM
NBC has had nothing advertised this past week for the Olys, has it? I haven't been able to catch much news-style TV of any kind lately, so maybe I'm just missing the buzz?

I'm interested in seeing how the Japanese men and ladies and pairs do, although I feel like they've peaked a year or two early!

2boysmom
02-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I love watching the Olympics to see events that aren't as readily available most times. I enjoy bobsled and luge, for example. Of course, I will most definitely watch figure skating. My only wish for this Olympics is for Tanith and Ben to get an Olympic medal of any color. I think pairs might be the most boring to watch this time around, no offense, just my feelings.

babyballerina
02-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Babyballerina
You have some great events you will be seeing. I am thrilled for you.. Have a great time. Seems we also have another sport in common I love Tennis and love Andre Agassi. Would love to be able to see him play one day.

Completely off topic but Agassi is TOTALLY the one who got me into tennis too!

In 1992, the year he won it, I was off school sick (yes, we are still at school in July in the UK. We don't get months and months off) so all I did was lie in bed watching Wimbledon. I have seen Agassi live a few times now, mostly at the Queens Club tournament the week before Wimbledon, and 3 or 4 times at W I think (13 Wimbledon have blurred into 1!) In 1995 I took my grandma (who has since died) to Wmbledon and we saw Agassi play on court 1. It was when he was in his "pirate" phase of long shorts and a hankerchief on his head (he had chopped off the long blonde hair the year before) It was scorching hot that day and I'll always remember it because my grandma enjoyed it so much.

cheer loud for Gregory & Petukhov then! hee hee!

If you like. Do you know them? I'm not really sure which ones they are! But I do always make sure I look out for the lower placed skaters who may not have much support right now. They are the ones who need the support to keep going till the next Olympics.