View Full Version : Maximum age requirements.......

Izanami
01-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Hey!
I was wondering if anyone here knows the offical Max. Age for Figure skating, or any kind of ice skating, is in the Winter Olympics??
I tryed googleing "Winter Olympic Figure Skating maximum Age Limitation" and i coudlnt find anything.........
All i kept turning up is "there is no age requirement for the special olympics" :roll: :giveup: and im trying to find out about the Regular Winter Olympics:)

Artemis
01-30-2006, 05:15 PM
There are, to the best of my knowledge, no maximum age limits for any Olympic sport. Most of them tend to be sort of "self selecting," with different sports having older age averages than others. If you're good enough to make the cut, your (upper) age doesn't matter.

Now minimum age, that's a whole other story, as I'm sure you know.

Izanami
01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Really??? Oh well thats cool!
Thanks!

And yea, i know about the Min. Age in figure skating. =)

phoenix
01-31-2006, 03:46 PM
In figure skating there are only maximum age limits on the lower levels of competition. Once you hit the senior level, which is Olympics/Worlds/ISU Senior Grand Prix, there is no maximum age.

stardust skies
02-04-2006, 11:57 PM
In figure skating there are only maximum age limits on the lower levels of competition. Once you hit the senior level, which is Olympics/Worlds/ISU Senior Grand Prix, there is no maximum age.

There is actually no minimum age from Novice on..so you can be any age for Novice, Junior, or Senior. The only thing in those levels that have maximum age limits are international events (Junior Worlds, Junior Grand Prix), but there is no maximum age limit on any of those levels' Regionals/Sectionals/Nationals.

twokidsskatemom
02-10-2006, 02:19 AM
There is actually no minimum age from Novice on..so you can be any age for Novice, Junior, or Senior. The only thing in those levels that have maximum age limits are international events (Junior Worlds, Junior Grand Prix), but there is no maximum age limit on any of those levels' Regionals/Sectionals/Nationals.
I didnt think there was a min age for any level......... max yes ie juv at age 13, open juv after that.

stardust skies
02-10-2006, 02:55 AM
I didnt think there was a min age for any level......... max yes ie juv at age 13, open juv after that.

Oops!! I meant there is no MAXIMUM age from Novice on. My bad! Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Smurfer
02-12-2006, 01:32 PM
There are no max age requirements for the senior level.

stardust skies
02-12-2006, 03:08 PM
There are no max age requirements for the senior level.

Right. And I was saying there is not one for Novice or Junior, either. :)

xofivebyfive
02-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Are there maximum limits for the ranks lower than Junior and Senior? Like say.. Juvenile? Doesn't there kind of have to be a maximum age for that? Otherwise, 20 year olds could be competing against 9 year olds..

Kevin Callahan
02-17-2006, 09:44 PM
You know skating seems to be one of those wqualizing sports. Plenty of nine year olds that can skate circles around me. I'm wary of age brackets in a sport where determination seems to mean a lot more than any benefits or handicaps caused by age.

phoenix
02-17-2006, 09:48 PM
yes, there are age limits in the levels below novice. Some competitions will have an "open" category, in which I believe there are no age limits--but that's not in qualifying events.

mikawendy
02-17-2006, 11:13 PM
You know skating seems to be one of those wqualizing sports. Plenty of nine year olds that can skate circles around me. I'm wary of age brackets in a sport where determination seems to mean a lot more than any benefits or handicaps caused by age.

And I've seen skaters in adult class v at competitions who could skate circles around me, too! One couple I recall had a beautiful Silver Tango....

stardust skies
02-18-2006, 01:29 AM
As someone said above, there are age limits for levels below Novice. From Novice on up, there are no maximum age limits.

The last age limit is Intermediate, and that is 18.
Juvenile is 13 I BELIEVE, but you can compete at non-qualifying (meaning not going to Sectionals/Nationals from placement) open Juvenile at any age.

There are also age limits if you want to be sent on Junior Grand Prix and Junior Worlds, but once you outgrow those age limits you'll just get sent to Senior Grand Prix and Senior Worlds (if you qualify, obviously).

Lastly, this is all for USFSA. There are no maximum age limits for any levels in ISI competitions. And as Kevin said, if a 9 year old competed against a 20 year old, it really wouldn't be as unfair as you think. Half the time the 9 year old will kick the 20 year old's butt because they have more stamina and can pull off bigger jumps (cause they're small and rotate faster plus usually have less fear of falling esp. if the 20 year old hasn't skated for that long..) and the other half the 20 year old will kick the 9 year old's butt with their grace and maturity in presenting the program and relating to the music. It really depends. But the thing is that no matter how old you are, the required elements are the same for everybody, so age doesn't really make a difference. Either you can land the jumps, or you cannot.