View Full Version : "Girl, eat a sandwich!"

Black Sheep
08-23-2002, 10:54 PM
That is what I think to myself when I look at a lot of elite skating ladies--or rather, little girls --today. I wonder how they can do all those triples and Biellman's without any muscle tone. :roll:

Comments?:?:

bbtano
08-23-2002, 11:13 PM
I don't usually think of telling them to eat anything, but I have wondered how they can land all those jumps when some of them have really small legs...that don't appear muscular. But then again, people's bodies are so different that muscle tone and definition probably don't appear the same on everyone.

Sing_Alto
08-24-2002, 12:46 AM
I think that some of them, like Kristi and Tara, rotate so quickly that it makes up for the lack of height in their jumps. Being tiny (something I will never know, but I digress....) doesn't hurt either. :D

Bailey
08-24-2002, 11:38 AM
Everyone has mucle tone, even at rest. Without muscle tone, you would be like jello with nothing to support your skeleton. I think what you mean is muscle mass - that is a better word to use.

CzarinaAnnie
08-24-2002, 10:45 PM
I know that Katia Gordeeva didn't really mature into her body until she was like 17, and not eating enough can slow down puberty. She also wanted to be lighter so that it wouldn't hurt Sergei's shoulder when he lifted her. So alot of skaters keep their weight down prob so they can have alot more agility, and keep their bodies from maturing so that it doesn't slow them down. "Oh puberty can wait until I get to where I want to be in my skating career, so that it doesn't slow me down", is what is seems like they are thinking. but who am I to know their thoughts? And.....ya also don't want to have a pudgy tummy when you get into those form fitting costumes, 'cause people can be so cruel to you if your body doesn't look perfect, and they can be when it does.:roll:

duane
08-24-2002, 11:19 PM
actually, i dont see any of the elite female skaters as lacking muscle tone. both sasha and michelle are slim, but have muscle tone. irina is very fit, and so is sarah. ditto with fumie. arent they the top 5 skaters in the world?

Black Sheep
08-24-2002, 11:21 PM
Actually, I used to be that thin when I was their age, and I was too weak to skate because of it....

Faithie
08-26-2002, 01:48 PM
Trust me, the girls have muscles alright, and they eat plenty.
With the gruling training schedule they have, they need to eat to have the engery to do what they do. They look so tiny and skinny only because they are very fit and have very little extra body fat and because of off ice training, their muscles are toned and sculped so they are not big and buldgy.

Faithie

Faithie
08-26-2002, 02:09 PM
Trust me, the girls have muscles alright, and they eat plenty.
With the gruling training schedule they have, they need to eat to have the engery to do what they do. They look so tiny and skinny only because they are very fit and have very little extra body fat and because of off ice training, their muscles are toned and sculped so they are not big and buldgy.

Faithie

garyc254
08-26-2002, 04:13 PM
I know Krist Y had great muscle tone. She used to do squats with 200 plus pounds.

Long slender muscles, like swimmers have, can be exceptionally strong without being bulky.

lrng to skt
08-27-2002, 01:37 AM
Good Heavens!! These girls are strong - bodybuilders have huge muscles but are NOT the strongest athletes around by any means. It's a different kind of training.

I can't think of anyone out there right now that seems unfit.

You wanna see thin - check out the height vs. weight on male ski jumpers 8O ...g

Black Sheep
08-27-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by lrng to skt
You wanna see thin - check out the height vs. weight on male ski jumpers 8O ...g

Racehorse jockeys have to be pencil-thin, too, 'cuz a heavy horseman doesn't help a horse to run really, really fast!