View Full Version : Hello, and what skates...?

Chael
01-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Hello I am a 14 year old boy from ireland and I am Just learning how to skate. Can anyone (particulary from the U.K) give me any advice on what skates I should get??? If they could give a UK website that would be great!

P.S in case it matters I would take U.K size 5/6

dbny
01-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Hello I am a 14 year old boy from ireland and I am Just learning how to skate. Can anyone (particulary from the U.K) give me any advice on what skates I should get??? If they could give a UK website that would be great!

P.S in case it matters I would take U.K size 5/6

Hi Chael, and welcome to Skatingforums! You should repeat this post on the "On Ice - Skaters (http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)" forum, since that is where the skater post questions and answers about equipment and technique.

The Ice Demon
01-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the board Chael, and the fun sport of figure skating. I'm not sure what brands of skates are most common in the UK but any of the main brands (Harlick, Riedell, Risport, SPteri, Jackson, Graf, Wifa - those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, I've probaly missed some) would be Ok for a beginner skater. The important thing is a good fit and the correct type of boot for your level of skating. The better the skater and the heavier the skater the stronger, more expensive boot they need is a general rule. I think you'd be best to ask for advice from your group coach (I presume you are taking group lessons?) or the rink you skate at, to start with anyway.

Chael
01-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the info! I will ask my group coach for advice on which skates to get (I was looking at Risport to start). I will repost this on the, On Ice forum.
I would also like to know the difference between Dance blades and figure blades and any other types... they all look the same to me!