View Full Version : Information about flu shots

Harry
01-15-2006, 09:48 PM
The topic "Skaters and the flu" wouldn't take a reply so I'll see if this new thread works!

"And I just saw a report on the news last night that the flu virus strains lately have been much more resistant to the medication in the flu shot than in past years"

Got to respond to this topic. First of all, the flu shot does not have a "medication" in it that is resistant. The medications that were being talked about are to treat flu and are becoming resistant to certain strains, they are not in the vaccine. Secondly, one CANNOT get the flu from a shot. The serum is made with inactivated (dead) virus' and cannot transmit the flu. The body takes 2 weeks to develop resistance to the flu strains after the shot so if one is exposed during those 2 weeks or has already been exposed, a person can still get sick. The shot is not a guarantee against getting the flu but one may have milder symptoms. Also, a person's immune system can react differently so that while most people don't even know they've had the shot, others may experience a mild reaction (not the flu) for 12-24 hours, the immune system saying "hey, what did you do to me?!" This year's shot covered 3 strains, A/New Caledonia, A/California and B/Shanghai. Last year 36,000 people died from flu complications and so far this year, I know 5 children have already died in Wisconsin. I haven't heard nationwide reports yet but we have 3-4 months of flu season to go. I work in the medical world and see both ends of the spectrum, some who will never get another shot and most who think it is beneficial and necessary, one has to go with whatever is comfortable for you. :)

dbny
01-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the clarifications and the info.

I believe you meant to say that certain strains of influenza virus are becomming resistant to medications, not the other way around.

Mercedeslove
01-16-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm definitely one of those people who don't get the shot....not anymore.

I learned my lesson, I got it, then got sick. Problem was I was a firefighter and the flu hit me while fighting a fire and it went down hill from there. I haven't had the flu...only cold; since then. That was in 2000.

Harry
01-16-2006, 07:11 AM
"medications that were being talked about are to treat flu and are becoming resistant to certain strains"

dbny, you are absolutely correct!! :oops: Thank you.

BarbraM
01-16-2006, 10:08 AM
People always think they get the flu from the shot. They don't. You can't get a few muscle aches and slight fever for a day or two, but it's not the flu. If you got the flu after getting the shot, even within a day or so, you were already coming down with the flu before you got the shot.

I have gotten a flu shot every year for the past 13 years, as has my husband--and we have never had the flu since.

The flu shot covers the respiratory flu, and nothing else. The stomach flu is completely different--it's an intestinal virus, and is never covered by a flu shot.

dbny
01-16-2006, 10:27 AM
The flu shot covers the respiratory flu, and nothing else. The stomach flu is completely different--it's an intestinal virus, and is never covered by a flu shot.

Exactly. Stomach flu is a misnomer and you won't find any medical professionals ever using it.

The last time I got the flu was 20 years ago. DH and 2yr old DD got it at the same time. I went to work for just one day anyway (long story) and ended up with bronchitis and an ear infection on top of the flu. The three of sat in bed, eyes glazed, watching our six hours of Sesame Street tapes. Starting in 2001, I've tried to get a flu shot every year, and have failed every year for various reasons. Next year I'm going to make it a priority. I'm too old to be sick like that again if I can avoid it.

BarbraM
01-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I have a friend who is 62 years old and diabetic and has some heart trouble. She refuses to get a flu shot, having the belief the virus is live. I told her that's not true, and it would definitely be in her best interest to get the shot, but she still won't. I'm hoping she won't get the flu.

BarbraM
01-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Exactly. Stomach flu is a misnomer and you won't find any medical professionals ever using it.

Many people will, however, say they got the flu when it's the stomach flu, and there lies their belief sometimes that they got the flu even though they got a shot. I've heard it from many people.

Apparently there is a bad flu going around the southwest (Arizona, California, etc)--fortunately, that strain is covered in this year's flu shot.

One other tidbit of info for people to know regarding Flu Mist--the nasal flu vaccine. It IS a live virus (but the shot is not). If you have any health problems like asthma or other immune system compromises, you can not use Flu Mist, nor should anyone in your family get Flu Mist either, to keep your health safe.

So, if people are taking Flu Mist instead of a shot, then yes, they could have a touch of the flu after inhaling the vaccine.