View Full Version : Skaters and the Flu

BarbraM
01-15-2006, 01:23 PM
With so much being said about Sasha Cohen battling the flu, I have just one question--why don't they get a flu shot?

They know they are competing all over the country and world, will pick these illnesses up, and they also know it can keep them from competing in major events if they end up with the flu.

I remember how heartbreaking it was when Caryn Kadavy had to back out of her olympic skate because she had the flu.

It seems like a no brainer to me.

dbny
01-15-2006, 01:29 PM
I would have gotten a flu shot this year, but I got sick and could not have it. The same thing could have happened to Sasha. Even a cold can keep you from having the vaccination. Also, a flu vaccination is not a 100% guarantee against getting the flu. In some cases it is useless, in others it can make the disease milder, and in some it does prevent it completely, but it is a roll of the dice.

noavail
01-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Well we don't even know if Sasha did or did not get her flu shot. A lot of people that get flu shots, still end up getting sick anyways.

Flu shots only works a few specific strains of the flu - getting one wouldn't really ensure that they wouldn't get sick. I think that the stress of traveling and stuff greatly increases the chances of getting the flu though.

mikawendy
01-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Well we don't even know if Sasha did or did not get her flu shot. A lot of people that get flu shots, still end up getting sick anyways.

Flu shots only works a few specific strains of the flu - getting one wouldn't really ensure that they wouldn't get sick. I think that the stress of traveling and stuff greatly increases the chances of getting the flu though.

And I just saw a report on the news last night that the flu virus strains lately have been much more resistant to the medication in the flu shot than in past years.

Mercedeslove
01-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Like with any shot, you are being injected with a virus. Because you can only get one strain of virus once. Unless you have a weak immune system...I'll save that for another day.

So while one may get a flu shot, they may still get sick. one from the virus contained in that shot (each flu shot I had, U ended up being sick from it within a week) or from another strain of the flu. The shot one gets is a virus of what doctors and scientists have figure would be the worse strain of flu that season..

Also those allergic the egg whites may not recive the shots, as it will cause a reaction.

So the flu shot; like any shot isn't 100%. There is no guarantee with the shot or the virus.

jazzpants
01-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Yup! The past couple of years I intentionally did NOT get a flu shot b/c I know that I will probably get sick with the flu anyway... (Guess how I know that??? :roll: )

I already had the flu this past Dec. Totally ruined the second half of my vacation at NYC!!! Knowing my luck and my immune system, I'll probably get another round of the flu before Spring comes around :roll:

EastonSkater
01-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Like with any shot, you are being injected with a virus.

Or more specifically, you're injected with a batch of out-of-action flu virus. They're permanently out of action, but the body's defense system can't seem to tell the difference between the active and inactive type - so the body can still build up immunity against the real deal after being injected with the inactive stuff.

what?meworry?
01-17-2006, 02:19 AM
the 24 hour flu hit a lot of skaters starting (noticeably) on wednesday. at first they thought it was food poisoning because the symptoms were the same. nasty barfing etc. but it was a version of the flu.

dbny
01-17-2006, 10:52 AM
the 24 hour flu hit a lot of skaters starting (noticeably) on wednesday. at first they thought it was food poisoning because the symptoms were the same. nasty barfing etc. but it was a version of the flu.

Flu does not affect the digestive system at all. Influenza (flu) is a virus that only affects the respiratory system, although the pandemic of 1916 also caused brain damage in some victims who survived. The so called "stomach flu" is a misnomer and is not recognized by medical professionals.

what?meworry?
01-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Flu does not affect the digestive system at all. Influenza (flu) is a virus that only affects the respiratory system, although the pandemic of 1916 also caused brain damage in some victims who survived. The so called "stomach flu" is a misnomer and is not recognized by medical professionals.
thanks for the clarification. so then what do doctors actually call the bug/symptoms that so many of them had?

dbny
01-17-2006, 01:46 PM
thanks for the clarification. so then what do doctors actually call the bug/symptoms that so many of them had?

Gastrointestinal (GI) virus.

Jump
01-21-2006, 06:45 AM
Flu vaccine is the vaccine against the common/current strain of influenza virus, but there are loads of other viruses and bacteria that can give you the common cold as well. Rhinovirus, adenovirus, parainfluenza, corona..
So the flu vaccination is not at all a gurantee that you'll escape the common cold.

What event was this where the skaters all got nauseous and threw up lots? Sounds terrrible, especially when you're trying to be at your peak atheletic ability.

p.s. thought it was gastroenteritis (stomach - intestine - inflammation)

montanarose
01-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Not to be too pedantic but, having said that, I'll proceed to be :lol:

As others have said, "stomach flu" is indeed a misnomer as it has nothing to do with the influenza virus. Instead, it's caused by any one of a number of rotaviruses or norvoviruses. You know how every so often you'll hear about a cruise ship that suffers such a severe outbreak of "stomach flu" that they have to immediately bring the ship back into port, disembark the passengers and crew and disinfect the whole ship? That's a typical example of how nasty (and contagious) this stuff can be; many of these recent cruise ship outbreaks have been caused specifically by the Norwalk virus.

And yes, the generic name for this condition is not "stomach flu" but "viral gastroenteritis."

Ellen, somewhat amazed that she still remembers such viral trivia :roll:

dbny
01-21-2006, 05:08 PM
p.s. thought it was gastroenteritis (stomach - intestine - inflammation)

Gastroenteritis, as you said, means inflamation of gastrointestinal tract. Since the question was "what do doctors actually call the bug/symptoms ", my answer was fashioned in accordance: "gastrointestinal virus." Both are correct. Gastroenteritis is commonly the result of a gastrointestinal virus, although I'm sure there could be other causative agents.

Jump
01-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Gastroenteritis, as you said, means inflamation of gastrointestinal tract. Since the question was "what do doctors actually call the bug/symptoms ", my answer was fashioned in accordance: "gastrointestinal virus." Both are correct. Gastroenteritis is commonly the result of a gastrointestinal virus, although I'm sure there could be other causative agents.

Sure thing.

Still, It's a pity about the flu-shot efficacy. I find myself worrying about whether (sp?) I'm going to fall ill around competition season. It's nerve-racking.

dbny
01-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Sure thing.

Still, It's a pity about the flu-shot efficacy. I find myself worrying about whether (sp?) I'm going to fall ill around competition season. It's nerve-racking.

I agree. Those who doubt evolution should not be allowed to have a flu shot at all, since the rapid evolution of the influenza viruses is the reason we can never be sure we have an effective vaccine.

cecealias
01-22-2006, 02:21 PM
A. The flu shot doesn't always work.

B. It is also probable that what triggers the flu in top athletes is overtraining prior to important competitions.

If they are training too hard, the extreme exertion causes the immune system to be overtaxed (most noticibly their IgA levels drop) and be more susceptible to airborne viruses/bacterium of any sort, not just the flu. It can give the athletes flu-like symptoms and bring them down for about a week or so, often right before or during a competition.

Best way to avoid the flu?

Eat your vitamins. Wash your hands alot. Try to avoid people who are sick. Don't overstress your work out. Avoid airline travel if you can.

dancesport
01-29-2006, 11:35 PM
edited by moderator...post content duplicated elsewhere.