View Full Version : Returning "old timer" needs guidance . ..

Rusty Blades
01-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Well I didn't see an introductions thread so I might as well start here!

I think my user name says it all ;) I'm 56 (yea, I know, OLD!) out of shape, and haven't been on skates in years! But I am planning to change that for next winter!

I did my skating in southern Ontario primarily in the late 1950s and through the 60s. I "faded away" in the early 70s when I married and moved away from home. I LOVED skating and managed to get 10 to 15 hours in a week (for the months that there was ice in the local rink), mostly solo and dance. I don't know if I was very good or not - there was too much politics in those days and I knew I didn't have a chance of going very far without dedicating BIG $$$, moving to a different (high profile) club, and hiring "the right" coaches, but I still enjoyed it on the local level.

After not skating for MANY years (at all!) I was on-ice once about 20 years ago and realized how much I had forgotten (mentally) but how much my body remembered.

At this stage of my life, I want some winter activity, to get back into condition, and to stay physically active, so OF COURSE skating was my first choice! I even have space for an ice sheet in the back yard! (And living in Manitoba, God knows we have the climate for ice!)

So . . . there is so much I DON'T know that I am looking for resources! Where do I go (online, hopefully because I live in a rural area) to find information on what to look for in boots and blades (and what to stay away from)? Where do I get up-to-date information on "technique"? - I was watching skating on TV last night and I realized I don't even remember the names for the common jumps and spins! I have also forgotten the patterns for the basic figures! I am starting ALL OVER AGAIN! :cry:

Thanks girls (and guys) for any suggestions to turn "rusty blades" into "shiny blades" again!

Dianne

Patsy
01-07-2006, 09:59 AM
*Patsy in Grand Forks waves hi to her neighbor to the north*

I'm not a skater (except in my mind, of course) but wanted to welcome you to a wonderful place!

If you've been having the weird winter we've been having, a skating sheet in the backyard may not be of much use this year!

phoenix
01-07-2006, 10:13 AM
This website www.sk8stuff.com (http://www.sk8stuff.com) has lots of info for participant skaters, though you'll have to wade through some stuff. You should also check out the "On Ice" section of this forum, which is where the skaters post comments, ask questions, give advice, etc.

Welcome to the forum--there are tons of adult skaters out there. You're in good company!

Rusty Blades
01-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Patsy!

Yes, this winter is not good for outside ice! Of course I am no good for figure skating either at this point, until I loose some weight and do some conditioning!

Thanks Phoenix! I'll check out both those suggestions.

sk8er1964
01-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Rusty -

Go on over to the On Ice section and post. You'll find lots of adult skaters, including quite a few Canadians, who can help you out! :)

(I wish I had had this site when I came back after 20 years off. I learned quite a bit the hard way before finding it.)

shutterbug
01-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi Dianne,

If you're looking for new skates, it's probably best if you buy them in person rather than online. What part of Manitoba are you in? Here in Winnipeg, Inner Edge Skate & Dance is your best bet. They're wonderful with us "old folks", LOL. I've heard that The Skater's Pick in Brandon is quite good too.

Janice

Ramsey
01-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Hi Rusty Blades,

Our shop provides five major brands of boots and two less well known makes

in our local area, with the most popular for the over fifty folks being Klingbeil

customs from New York.

They are the only make we have found that require almost no break-in time,

and actually provide even more support after they break in.

Blades are almost always a matter of personal preference, but those with

an 8ft. or 8 1/2ft. radius offer good stability for returning skaters.

Ramsey

Rusty Blades
01-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Here in Winnipeg, Inner Edge Skate & Dance is your best bet

That's exactly where I am headed! Decided to take a couple hours off work and go over to see them today.

dblflutz
01-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Rusty Blades....welcome back to this wonderful world!

I too had been off the ice for about 16+ years and at 41 trying to re-live my childhood per say... let's just say it's not like riding a bike all over again... I have my share of bumps and bruises along the way over the past 2 years. It took a while to get back into the swing of things, so my only advise is to start off easy!

In the 2 years that I've been back, I've produced a preliminary skater out of my oldest (10), and now my youngest (4) want's to be just like Sasha C. and is competing next month at a tot level. I have been reunited with several old blasts from the pasts whom have made such wonderful names for themselves....."who would of thought" has been my moto for the past couple of years.

What I love most these days is being back on my terms now and not moms....LOL, and my goal is to land all of my doubles again by 50 (getting there!). I find that my feet have been ruined from my past of wearing skates majority of my previous skating life that just were not meant to be, so I have invested in SP Teri custom boots. I feel that Reidell's are a good boot to put an old familiar friend (foot) into, to start off with...and Klingbeil's are an awesome boot as well! But now a days there are so many good boots, it's what ever you feel most comfortable in.

Welcome to this site, as everyone have been wonderful and supportive! Lot's of good advise and information from everyone!

Rusty Blades
01-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Well Inner Edge didn't have Jackson's in C-width (danged DUCK FEET!) so I asked them to order in a pair and MK Pro blades - by AIR if need be (before I change my mind!) I guess I'll have to wait a week or two to see if I remember how to keep the shiny things down :roll:

Oh well, off to the Winter Club this afternoon to meet the membership lady and the figure skating coach.

Why is getting anything done always like hearding cats?

Raye
01-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Well Inner Edge didn't have Jackson's in C-width (danged DUCK FEET!) so I asked them to order in a pair and MK Pro blades - by AIR if need be (before I change my mind!) I guess I'll have to wait a week or two to see if I remember how to keep the shiny things down :roll:

Oh well, off to the Winter Club this afternoon to meet the membership lady and the figure skating coach.

Why is getting anything done always like hearding cats?

I have Jacksons too - the only boots in the store that were wide enough for my big feet the day I bought them - New club - Duck Feet Anonymous - and I tried on probably 25 pairs of boots that day, too. LOVE THEM I have Coronation Ace Blades, which are the same ones on that are on my 1973 SK's, I decided to stay with what I know.... They are a great all-purpose blade, and since I do freestyle, interpretive, dance, and synchro, I can get away with only one pair of skates.

slusher
01-10-2006, 06:55 PM
I'll join the duck feet club. I have the same Jacksons, C width and punched several times.

I found when I bought my previous skates in the late 1980's that skates sure had changed since the 1960/70's, there was ankle support and boots cut much lower ! I found the Jacksons stiff for quite a while, complained about them a lot as the upper edge cut into my (substantial) leg but they're good now, I wouldn't go stiffer.

(ahem) there's still a lot of politics in skating, but not in Adult skating. We are all there for each other and there's a good bunch in Canada that stay connected despite distances. Hopefully they'll announce the nationals location and we'll all have a party together. Good luck.

shutterbug
01-10-2006, 07:21 PM
If you're interested in skating only, rather than a whole membership package, we have a large group of adult skaters at Seven Oaks Skating Club (located near Kildonan Park). Two of our adults are in their 50's. :) We also have a couple of coaches who specialize in teaching adults. Great ice times, Mondays starting at 6:30 pm and Saturdays starting at 11:15 am.

Feel free to come check us out!

Rusty Blades
01-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Hey thanks for the tip Janice! I will do that! The more ice time I can fit in, the better.

Winter Club was a bust - but all the locals know that.

I did hear from Skate Manitoba and got the contact info for the coach of one adult StarSkate groups - WAHOO!

A new group? "DUck Footed Union of Skaters"? DUFUS for short? LONG LIVE WIDE FEET!

Sent you a PM Janice