View Full Version : Which Olympics was your favorite?

sadya
12-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Mine is still Lillehamer '94. It was the most exciting and extra interesting with so many professionals coming back.

Samskate
12-11-2005, 04:51 PM
My personal favorite was 1988. I loved the tension produced by the two "battles", Brians and Carmens. Also was quite pleased that Boitano won the Brians battle. Wasn't too happy about Debi Thomas not winning since I think at that time she was the better skater/athlete, but I do like Katerina, so it was OK.

Aimless
12-15-2005, 01:56 PM
It surprises me to say that the 2002 Olys are my favorites. The way Sarah Hughes threaded her way from fourth to first in the course of the long program was so unlikely, so unexpected and yet so richly deserved, one never thought it would happen. And yet justice prevailed. Every once in a while I like to watch my tape just to see Sarah and Robin Wagner fall off the bench together when they get the news that Sarah had won. It is so hilarious. Then MK's Fields of Gold--whenever I feel like sobbing I drag it out.

And Skategate was such a bizarre and fascinating event, unfolding and twisting so wierdly, with the repercussions still bouncing around. I remember I was *afraid* to come to this site in the 48 hours or so that followed the pairs long. I had to PM Patsy to see what it was like in here before I ventured in.

2002 delivered an unmatched emotional punch, that's why I like figure skating.

Kylen15
12-15-2005, 02:09 PM
I'll agree that 1988 was my favorite Olympics. I wasn't wise enough to worry about the political nature of the sport then. While the women's event was disappointing in terms of Debi Thomas and Caryn Kadavy, Elizabeth Manley's long program remains one of the all-time best performances I remember. The battle of the Brians...Gordeeva and Grinkov in the pairs...the entire dance competition (even with the political issues with the Duschenays (sp))...

I don't think I've been able to watch an Olympics with that kind of innocence since.

Isk8NYC
12-16-2005, 11:57 PM
1984: Hamilton, Witt, and Torvill & Dean.

First time I actually saw all of the events, courtesy of my first VCR. Bought it just for that occasion and I still have the scratchy tapes!

Jaana
12-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Mine are 1988 and 1998. Also I liked the winners in menīs, ladiesī and pairsī discipline in 1994

Mel On Ice
12-17-2005, 12:18 PM
it's so bizarre, I've learned more about this sport from the internet, yet my favorite Olympics were pre-internet, probably because the internet ruined the tension for me.

1988 because I was working in a bar as a cook when the entire place shut down to watch the ladies final. There was dead silence as Liz Manley finished her routine, then one of our patrons started singing "O Canada" and the place erupted in cheers. For the men's final, they chanted "USA! USA!" And these patrons were bowlers and golfers!

duckies77
12-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Lillehammer 1994, all the disciplines had a magical ingredient, eg Oksana's performances, Grishuk &Platov, Krylova& partner & and the Fr ench bronze medallist's "Romeo& Juliet" . Not to forget G&G and Artur Dimitriev & Natalia M's wonderful performances in the Pairs. Just beautiful!
Must include too as memor able the Pair's competition at Salt Lake City 2002, namely Bereshnayae & S ikharulidze and Shen & Zhao's beautiful and memorable performances . All completely memorable. :bow:

sadya
12-18-2005, 03:40 AM
Lillehammer 1994, all the disciplines had a magical ingredient, eg Oksana's performances, Grishuk &Platov, Krylova& partner & and the Fr ench bronze medallist's "Romeo& Juliet" . Not to forget G&G and Artur Dimitriev & Natalia M's wonderful performances in the Pairs. Just beautiful!
Must include too as memor able the Pair's competition at Salt Lake City 2002, namely Bereshnayae & S ikharulidze and Shen & Zhao's beautiful and memorable performances . All completely memorable. :bow:

Duckies77, perhaps you meant the performance of French Romeo and Juliet (Anissina and Peizerat) in Nagano '98? In Lillehamer Torville and Dean got bronze. :)

Oracle
12-18-2005, 11:08 AM
I have to go along with the '88 games in Calgary. Not just the skating was top notch but the opening & closing ceremonies are my all time favorites. (Lillehammer is 2nd on my list).

mikawendy
12-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Mine are 84 and 88. (And Oracle, ITA about the opening/closing ceremonies at 88.)

Favorite moments within Olympics for me were when Liz Manley found out she won silver and Paul Wylie's winning silver. I loved that they each were so proud and happy compared to people who treat silver as "losing gold." I also loved Klimova & Ponomarenko's Bach program (I think that was the 92 Olympics, but I could be wrong)--just so beautiful and elegant. I also loved the moment before Boitano's long program in 88. I remember the camera did a close up of his face and he was blinking in time with the opening notes of the program. It sounds corny, but it sort of characterized the tension of the moment and the buildup in the press of the "Battle of the Brians."

(Most heartbreaking Olympic moment was probably Babilonia & Gardner's withdrawal...... :cry: )

Laetitia_Hubert
12-26-2005, 03:59 PM
I agree with what you all have to say but personally Lillehamer was the most exciting because of Tanya/Jeff Gillooly's attack on Nancy and the way Nancy just fought back!

I remember it was so cool seeing Katerina Witt showing everyone that she still has the goods a decade after she won her first Olympic gold.

I thought it was amazing to see Oksana Baiul and Nancy duke it out for the gold, while Tanya had a broken skate lace and had to rush 3 other nervous skaters (who didn't do so well) before her just so she could re-group.

I thought Torvill and Dean rocked the house with their final performance!

loveskating
12-27-2005, 02:32 PM
I'd have to say 1998.

I was so happy Kulik won, so happy he had that magical skate. I loved Grishuk and Platov (it would have been ok with me if Krylova and Ovsiannikov had won too) and I was happy Kazakova and Demitriev won and would have been just as pleased if Bareshnaya and Sik had outskated them, but they did not.

I was not happy that Tara won at the time, but later I realized that she won fair and square, although it took me learning a thing or two and some serious soul searching to face up to my mistakes.

I like it best when the skaters are close, all are really good, and the ones who are actually best manage to execute and win. I love it when a skater has the skate of their life! That is very fulfilling.

ribbon
01-06-2006, 10:32 AM
1988: Battle of the Brians, the Carmens, and G&G

1994 is a close second simply for the pairs skating -- one of the best competitions ever -- and for the sheer beauty of Norway!

Sing_Alto
01-06-2006, 07:00 PM
1988 was the ultimate Winter Olympics as far as skating is concerned.

Kevin Callahan
01-07-2006, 01:54 AM
1998. I really need to scan the picture I have of my favorite manga characters in the audience of the skating rink in Nagano, Japan. There's a specual Olympics blurb in the back of the final volume.

elanboy
01-07-2006, 01:38 PM
I really enjoyed the 1994 Olympics, even though not a single one of the winners in each event was whom I would have chosen to win. As well, the fact that former amateur-turned-pro competitors were allowed to return to eligible competition added drama to the games, aside from that provided by Nancy/Tonya skategate. For Nancy to come back and skate as well as she did despite all that happened to her, including the previous year's World Championships meltdown, was just amazing. I really felt that she should have been the winner, and had there been availability of video replay back then, Oksana would have been marked much lower by more of the judges, at least on the technical side of the scores. As for the pairs event, as great as G&G were, with the amount of mistakes they made in their long program, I don't see how they ended up finishing above M&D. M&D's long program was absolutely breathtaking and couldn't have been skated any better. The men's event was really close too, with both Elvis and Alexei making minor errors in their programs and could have gone either way. I would have chosen to go with Elvis, but that would have to do with my Canadian bias. :)

Artemis
01-09-2006, 06:02 PM
1988, for all the reasons already stated. And also for the group of friends with whom I watched the events that year.

2002 would be a close second, despite all the controversies (not because of them!). Aside from the great skating, it was also a great public healing process for the US after 9/11, and generally speaking a time for them to showcase the best things about their country and culture.

used2skate
01-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi!

Mine without a doubt are 1988 and 1994. When G&G first stepped on the ice for the first time. I was a figure skating fan at that moment! Just by looking at them, I told myself, they are going to win. Because of the 1994 Olympics, skating became popular and G&G won again...all was right with the world. :)

Because of G&G's skating and the courage Katia had to start skating on her own, gave me the kick to start skating myself. Unfortunately I moved to a country (ironic enough, the country Sonja Henie is from) where skating is not popular at all. I truely miss it!!!

Aleta

nbct
01-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't know if it gets much better than seeing a little sprite like Tara Lipinski besting Kween Kwan. That was poetic.

Any Olympics with Dorothy Hamil and John Curry have to be right up there, two other poetic skaters. Robin Cousins was a dream, too. Then there's that magical silver of Paul Wylie's. He's class personified. Too many wonderful Olympic moments on ice.

GoldSeals
01-26-2006, 04:17 PM
1988 Olympics.Battle of the Brians
1980 Olympics.Remember Tai and Randy:lol: Randy withdraws last minute
1984Sarajevo.Scott Hamilton and Roslynn Sumners:P,Ros expected to win 8O

GoldSeals

Bothcoasts
01-27-2006, 08:00 PM
The 1994 Olympics. I still remember watching the women's short program from a ski condo my parents had rented with a bunch of their friends. There were 5 of us kids sprawled out exhausted on a couch as we watched...not only was the skating from that Olympics memorable, but being there in a cozy ski condo made it even more special.

The 1994 Olympics caused me to start skating a year later, so they definitely have had the largest influence on me!