View Full Version : Johnny Weir's Costume

Samskate
12-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Is it me or did Johnny recycle Sasha's old Swan Lake Costume? LOL! I just watched Cup of Russia and it's the first time I've seen any skating this season. Couldn't get over the similarities! :)

Tapper
12-04-2005, 11:42 PM
It does make one wonder!

loveskating
12-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I love Johnney's costume -- especially that red glove. It is so evocative of the music, so intelligent. I adore that.

I wouldn't mind a little chiffon -- Kulik's hair and pants legs blowing in the wind of his own speed was really nice to see.

BarbraM
12-12-2005, 06:06 PM
I thought the one he was wearing at Marshall's Figure Skating Challenge yesterday looked like someone toilet papered his shirt :lol:

Terri C
12-12-2005, 06:13 PM
I thought the one he was wearing at Marshall's Figure Skating Challenge yesterday looked like someone toilet papered his shirt :lol:

Or, it's a old black shirt that needed "sprucing up" so he had it covered with white tape.

icedancer2
12-12-2005, 06:33 PM

LOL! I met him backstage at COI last year and he refered to this costume as the "toilet-paper costume"! (he hates it)

Good call. 8-)

Tessie
12-12-2005, 08:47 PM

I was there, front row seats, I actually thought it was interesting, but not for a skating show, or a guy. Maybe haute couture for a red carpet kind of event.

His first outfit was horendous, with the seequened heart, it looked like he raided Irina Slutskya's closet this time! :roll:

crayonskater
12-12-2005, 10:26 PM
I love his skating, but for a man who manages to work in what designer he's wearing into nearly every interview, good lord his costumes are goofy.

Isk8NYC
12-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Or, it's a old black shirt that needed "sprucing up" so he had it covered with white tape.

We thought he looked like an unraveling mummy. When he did the sit spin where he balls himself up, he looked like a mangled q-tip.

Aimless
12-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Everybody had a different take on that costume. I thought it looked like they got some designer to come up with a new take on prison stripes.

Samskate
12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
I thought it looked like a football official's shirt run amok.

loveskating
12-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Well, I'd cut the top loose, leave the "toilet paper", then dye the rest of the top white, and make it a bit loose, slightly blousy and add black pants that blew a bit, like Kulik's for Rhapsody in Blue, and keep the red glove. I really love that red glove.

Schmeck
12-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Any links to photos?

Schmeck
12-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Nevermind, I found them, on USFSA.

Weir's costumes don't seem too bad, as he usually has more flamboyant 'Russian Style' ones, doesn't he? I didn't see the red glove though 8-)

I love Cohen's two dresses, although the tan over the boot-tights are very pre-juvenile, at least in these parts. I thought the elite skaters got natural colored tights, custom ones?

Kwan's black dress looked very classy, but the white one - what's up with the extra straps? Are they back-ups in case something pops?

Weiss looked like such an old man! I barely recognized him! That fake-tan look is scary! And aren't the white ruffles on his sleeves rather un-masculine? :twisted:

OK, I just realized that I didn't see the COR outfit, only the Marshall's ones, oops! :oops:

Schmeck
12-13-2005, 08:44 PM
OK, I found the photos - that is a ghastly costume! :giveup: Swan Bondage???

The fluffy-feather skirt one of the ice dancers was wearing was also very 8O . Actually there were a lot of ugly costumes at COR!