View Full Version : which US men will make the Olympic team?

pondskater
11-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Interesting thread on the women, but it seems the men's field is even more wide open and interesting to speculate about. Weir, Lysachek, Weiss, Goebel, Jahnke, Savoie-- lots to choose from! My vote: Johnny, Evan and Matt!

Aimless
11-28-2005, 01:32 PM
I would agree with your choices although Weir (I typoed and had "Weird" at first!) concerns me a little. He deserves to be there but I hope he has good resilience and strong nerve. What happens at Nats will tell us a lot. Lysachek has good momentum right now, is rising nicely. Even if he doesn't medal, and he could, the experience of competing would be very useful to him in another four years. I'd like to see Savoie go too, as some kind of reward for his determination, persistance, and the very strong package he has put together. He even seemed to relate to the audience a hair more when I last saw him.

Weiss, Goebel and Janke all have their weaknesses, but again--nats will be a proving ground. So far to my knowledge the Grand Prix hasn't been so great for them? Maybe I'm just out of touch though.

diagetus
12-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Just viewed Marshall's today and it looks like the future competitions are going to be tight as all get out. Technically, Weir, Goebel, and Savoie look SOLID. No slip ups or anything. It should be interesting to watch. I will say that Savoie had an amazingly crisp, smooth program at Marshall's. If he performs like that again (along with some quads), he could be Weir's kryptonite. My guess is Weir, then Savoie, then Goebel or Lysachek. At this point, your guess is as good as mine.

Aimless
12-12-2005, 10:41 AM
Just viewed Marshall's today.....I will say that Savoie had an amazingly crisp, smooth program at Marshall's. If he performs like that again (along with some quads), he could be Weir's kryptonite. My guess is Weir, then Savoie, then Goebel or Lysachek. At this point, your guess is as good as mine.

Wasn't Savoie fine! I was so impressed with him. He's gotten more handsome, sexier, more mature, more in control, more confident and better at relating to the audience, plus really working with his music. Great show. Sure, a quad would help but I don't think it's an absolute requirement thanks to COP. Savoie has never gotten the recognition he deserves, so I was thrilled to hear Peggy, Peter and Dick praising him and giving him the win.

Lark
12-13-2005, 08:53 PM
I would say Johnny, Evan and Mike, in that order.

Schmeck
12-13-2005, 08:57 PM
I think Evan's last name is Lysacek, not to be confused with the hockey player (I think it was spelled that way) Lysachek. Now, if you asked me to spell any of the Russians, etc, ... :oops: 8O :giveup:

My prediction ~ Weir, Lysacek, Goebel

mikawendy
12-13-2005, 09:53 PM
My votes are for Lysacek, Savoie, and Weir. I thought Lysacek was spectacular in his NHK long program! Talk about blowing the roof off the arena!!! If he goes to Turin, I hope he can deliver the same intensity throughout the program. And I've always loved Savoie's style and sureness...

diagetus
12-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Ok, see what I mean. The only consistency in picks so far is that it's roughly the same people in the top four, but the order is different in each post. Everyone is admitting that Weir will be in there.

AimlessSure, a quad would help but I don't think it's an absolute requirement thanks to COP. Savoie has never gotten the recognition he deserves, so I was thrilled to hear Peggy, Peter and Dick praising him and giving him the win.

Yes, hopefully, Savoie takes the judges' comments to heart and pulls from that momentum... As far as Savoie using the COP when competing against Weir - I look at it in terms of emphasizing your strengths and capitalizing off of the opponent’s weakness. Weir is obviously strong in his array of spins. You could probably out him with jumps, but he’s going to spin all day. IMHO jumps look like Savoie’s best bet. If he can land the quad, he should use it. Make these other guys sweat a little. If the quads were so easy, these guys would be throwing quads out there like confetti. That's basically what they're doing with the triples right now. That tells me that the quad is still a very difficult jump to acquire. Even with COP, a quad is more than a triple. Now, if he was going up against Plushenko on his good day. Lol. Well, he’s gotta be good on spins AND jumps. I don’t even see Weir doing Beilmans. Plushenko is recovering from some groin injury, so he may not be ready, but should you count on someone staying injured so that you can win? That's poor strategy.

Why does the number one U.S. pick have to have the FULL package? Well, because there are other countries that have the full package skater. Let’s not lose sight of the big picture. Whoever makes it needs to have the arsenal to beat Russian blades and, quite frankly, I’m not seeing that kind of strength…not yet.

Oracle
12-14-2005, 02:10 PM
I think it will be Weir & Lysacek for certain & then it could be Savoie, Goebel or Scott Smith taking the 3rd spot. Smith has landed quads in competitions this past year. It just depends on who is the most consistent of the 3. I don't think Weiss will be in the mix this year but he could surprise me.

soogar
12-14-2005, 08:25 PM
I don't see Goebel making the team, though I have no idea how much his previous bronze medal will be worth in the eyes of the judges. Lysacyk will be the best bet to medal. Quite frankly I don't think Weir has the goods/mental strength to pull a medal in these games. He'll make the team but I wish Jahnke and Savoie will skate their best and beat him for team spots (I don't think the judges will allow that but boy would that be something).

mikawendy
01-14-2006, 05:17 PM
*******Contains SPOILER INFO about U.S. men's free skate (scroll down to see rest of post)*******

My votes are for Lysacek, Savoie, and Weir. I thought Lysacek was spectacular in his NHK long program! Talk about blowing the roof off the arena!!! If he goes to Turin, I hope he can deliver the same intensity throughout the program. And I've always loved Savoie's style and sureness...

So my three favorites placed in the top 3 at Nationals--I have my fingers crossed that Evan and Matt will get to go to the Olys.....

Schmeck
01-14-2006, 06:57 PM
I went two for three - I really thought Goebel would be able to pull it off :( I am so happy for Matt Savoie!

Meredith
01-15-2006, 09:34 AM
I went 3 for 3 and am positively over the moon for Matt Savoie! :D

Edited to add there's a first time for everything. The judges don't usually agree with me.