View Full Version : Since the title of this board is General Skating Chat..

SoNaoWat?
11-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Where do people go these days to actually chat about skating? I don't remember where I used to go ages ago, but I'm sure it's long gone now. I'd like to be somewhere there's a voice of reason. My experience on other boards is already beginning to be a sour one. :giveup:

stardust skies
11-12-2005, 11:06 PM
It's sports. Judged sports. It's figure skating. You may find one or two totally objective people here and there, but don't expect that to be the majority when there's a large group of skating fans and skaters assembled to talk about the sport. There's no such thing as a"voice of reason" in these settings.

Skatingforums is pretty much as sane as it gets, by far.

flippet
11-13-2005, 01:23 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there are a couple of other boards where the discussion is a bit more active--but it's also a bit more uncontrolled, and it can get either somewhat nasty, or overly 'teenie', which doesn't bother some folks, but does others.

If there's something you want to discuss, don't wait for others to bring it up--do it yourself!

Also, there are forums here for individual competitions--that's where a lot of the conversation takes place during the season.

SoNaoWat?
11-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Hi. Thanks for the information. I was really more referring to a real-time chat room, where you could feel like you were having a conversation. There used to be one a LONG time ago, that was originally linked from the SkateWeb page, I think.

There's not really anything I wish other people would bring up. I haven't watched enough new skating lately to say anything knowledgeable about skating or skaters, right now. I'm mostly lurking, but sometimes online I get bored and I want to chat, but most of the chat rooms I've ever tried to go, like in Yahoo, etc, are hard to jump into. For me, anyway.

I did just read a thread about Ice Wars. That was exciting. It's one of my favorite pro comps.

Thanks again,
SNW

loveskating
11-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi. Thanks for the information. I was really more referring to a real-time chat room, where you could feel like you were having a conversation. There used to be one a LONG time ago, that was originally linked from the SkateWeb page, I think.

There's not really anything I wish other people would bring up. I haven't watched enough new skating lately to say anything knowledgeable about skating or skaters, right now. I'm mostly lurking, but sometimes online I get bored and I want to chat, but most of the chat rooms I've ever tried to go, like in Yahoo, etc, are hard to jump into. For me, anyway.

I did just read a thread about Ice Wars. That was exciting. It's one of my favorite pro comps.

Thanks again,
SNW

I'd be careful of chat rooms...you can say something where you are just venting, or being ironic -- and if people could see you, they'd know it -- but instead, what you said winds up being copied and quoted all over the net for some evidence to claim some "evil" they convince themselves you did.