View Full Version : I've been away from the scene...

SoNaoWat?
11-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Hi everybody. I've been away from the scene of skating for a while. I used to be a big fan, starting in 94, but all the old favorites are long gone and I haven't had time to keep up w/ the young 'uns. I would loooove for those of you who know everything that goes on to update me on what everybody's doing. I mean the people who were big betw/ abt 94-2000 or so. Both pros and eligibles. Mostly pairs and singles, but if you like and miss someone and you know what they've been up to, post it here.

Thanks,
Formerly Poet :D

ribbon
11-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Wow, that's a tall order:

OK, here we go for the 1994 Olympic and Worlds ladies and pairs champions:

Oksana Bauil -- her skating went downhill mostly due to personal problems, but she made a semi-comeback recently, skating a guest role in Stars On Ice in 2003. She has her own skating costume designs, and is engaged to someone outside the skating world.

Nancy Kerrigan -- she now has 2 children and is rarely making public skating appearances, but the ones I've seen she looks happy and good

Chen Lu -- had a terrible skating year in 1997, but made a fantastic Olympic bronze medal winning comeback in 1998, turned pro and did not have much success there (but was in Stars On Ice), engaged (married?) pairs skater Denis Petrov

Yuka Sato -- after 1994 Worlds, she turned pro, did pretty well and is skating in Stars On Ice with husband (pairs skater) Jason Dunjeon this year. She skates singles and pairs.

Gordeeva and Grinkov -- Sergei Grinkov died of a heart attack in 1995. Katia is now a professional singles skater. She is often a guest star on Stars On Ice. Sergei and Katia's daughter Daria is now 13 yrs old. Katia remarried in 2002 (to '98 Olympic gold medalist Ilia Kulik) and has another daughter, named Elizaveta.

Mishkutenok and Dmitriev -- She married a hockey player and last I knew, they did a little bit of professional skating together. He found another pairs partner, Oksana Kazakova, and won gold in 1998. They turned pro and toured on Champions on Ice. Now, he often puts together shows in Russia starring Russian skaters.

Brasseur and Eisler -- she married US pairs skater Rocky Marvel and has a daughter, he married someone outside of the skating world and has a baby. They skated as pros for many years in Champions on Ice/Canadian Stars On Ice, but now are retired.

Shishkova and Naumov -- I believe both work as coaches in Connecticut. They never had a successful pro career.

flippet
11-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Poet, eh? I remember you from waaaayyy back! How long has it been? Hope everything's going well for ya!

SoNaoWat?
11-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi again. Thanks, Ribbon. I didn't mean quite that far back, but that's ok. I knew most of that stuff. I guess I was just wondering what everybody is doing right now. I'm sure most of them are commentating, coaching, some performances, or completely out of the skate world. I used to get IFS magazine, but I forgot to renew it. These boards are better for keeping up with the latest gossip. :)

I was a big fan of Paul W, Nancy, Brian B, Oksana, Victor P, Kurt, Katarina, Katia G, Elvis, Etc. All those guys.

Thanks!

ribbon
11-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Oh, ok! Here's the latest I know:

Paul recently hosted Evening of Champions in Massachusetts. He did not skate though, and rumor has it he's looking for a non-skating job again.

You can see Kurt on ABC -- he commentating next to Dick Button and Terry Gannon for the mens' events. He recently skated in his annual Gotta Skate show and Kristi's show. Katarina will be working on skating commentary in the US too this season (mostly backstage stuff, I think).

Viktor will be in Ukraine in Dec hosting a show, where Katia will also perform.

Elvis and Brian are scheduled to be competing in Ice Wars November 17. Brian has his annual Las Vegas skating spectacular show in December.

Nancy was just in Kristi's family themed show (airing in late Dec).