View Full Version : Best U.S. women never to make it big?

Kylen15
11-06-2005, 11:53 AM
I was just rewatching my tape of 2000 U.S. Nationals, and I got a good glimpse of some of the skaters I really thought had a chance to make it big, and didn't.

So, I'm opening this up for discussion. Who were the U.S. women singles skaters that you thought were be a big factor on the scene, and never got there for one reason or another? I'll toss out two from 2000, and no, neither is Naomi Nari Nam. :)

1) Andrea Gardiner. She got royally screwed in the short program at nationals in 2000, and I always got the impression the judges were never truly behind her. She was also inconsistent, but she had such power and potential.

2) Deanna Stellato. I know she got derailed by a hip injury, and from what I gathered, she had to retire. But she really caught my attention in 2000 and 2001. She was everything that Sasha was at that time, with as good an extension and actually some better musical interpretation.

Schmeck
11-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Katie Lee! She had a beautiful presence on the ice, and had a lovely short program when I saw her at Nationals in Boston. OK, she didn't have all the triples, but she had a great layback, and other pretty spins as well!

Aimless
11-07-2005, 09:24 AM
ITA about Deanna Stellato. She had the technical strengths and the artistic, plus a style of her own. She had this gypsy look, a little bit of wildness that I liked a lot. I hope she's well and that her injuries healed. I suppose we won't see her again but she's very present in my memory.

Mel On Ice
11-07-2005, 09:34 AM
I've always had a soft spot for Amber Corwin. Original costuming, original choreography, those triple/triples. Best she ever did was 4th or 5th, even though she was cleaner than most. Takes an active role as an athlete representative within the USFSA. Nice girl.

[edited to say whooops! I forgot the thread was about US women, hope you don't mind me throwing in a few men]

Derrick Delmore - I hate to think a skater as talented as he may not reach the podium one day, but he's been on the scene for a while and hasn't placed higher than 6th. He's lyrical, he's sexy, he's inventive.

Shepard Clark - huge jumps, when he landed them. I thought of him as rather like Emmanuel Sandu, when he's on, he's awesome, when he's off, he's awful. I was pretty heartbroken for him when his injury caused him to withdraw in front of a packed house at the 2000 Nationals. Very classy of him to go over and shake the referee's hand instead of skate off in a huff.

mikey
11-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Brittney McConn

Kylen15
11-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Oh, yes, McConn! I remember watching her at nationals in 1998, and thinking she had an honest shot of making the world team the next year. I really appreciated her style - even if Dick Button didn't. ;)

There was also a Lisa someone or other who competed in the 90s whose style I really liked. I *never* remember her name, but she had a blonde ponytail, and competed the year Tricia Mansfield made the final group. And I'm not talking about Lisa Ervin, before someone guesses that. :)

NoVa Sk8r
11-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Derrick Delmore - I hate to think a skater as talented as he may not reach the podium one day, but he's been on the scene for a while and hasn't placed higher than 6th. He's lyrical, he's sexy, he's inventive.
Just FYI: He actually finished 5th at nationals in 1998. ...
He is great to watch in practice. What great presentation.

Artemis
11-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Well Angela N. did better "on the scene" than any of the others on this list so far ... but I think she had the potential to go much further if all the fates hadn't been conspiring against her.

mikey
11-07-2005, 07:40 PM
There was also a Lisa someone or other who competed in the 90s whose style I really liked. I *never* remember her name, but she had a blonde ponytail, and competed the year Tricia Mansfield made the final group. And I'm not talking about Lisa Ervin, before someone guesses that. :)
Are you thinking of Lisa Matras?

Mel On Ice
11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Lisa Nesuda?

mikawendy
11-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Just FYI: He actually finished 5th at nationals in 1998. ...
He is great to watch in practice. What great presentation.

ITA!!! I saw South Atlantic regionals one year on CN8 and I think Derrick Delmore skated to Bond, and it was great--very inventive choreography, and very crisp clean line and movement. I think he did the choreography for the program. Lou Tilley and JoJo Starbuck were commentating, and I think Lou asked Jojo something to the effect of when would he become great (I can't recall the exact words) and JoJo said that she thought he already was.

Kylen15
11-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Yes, I meant Lisa Matras. You know, I really should remember that name by now.

And here's another name, going WAAAAY back. How about Tisha Walker?

mikey
11-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Hmmmm, Tisha Walker- I think the last time I heard of her was from 1991 Nationals, maybe... To me, she just seems like someone who was pretty good as a junior but never really made a big splash as a senior. I remember her being very pretty, and having a great triple toe. Was she one of those skaters back then who was really good at figures, and never really made it after they were dropped as a requirement?

Kylen15
11-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Well, Tisha Walker was in contention to finish third at nationals in 1992 after Harding basically looked like crap throughout the competition. She was third or fourth in the short program, but bombed the long program, more or less.

viennese
11-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Deanna Stellato, indeed. She did have a wildness in her skating style and her appearance (great hair) that made her very exciting to watch.

Jennifer Itoh. At the 1992 nationals, I think, she did two programs that weren't technically perfect, but she was athletic and artistically more interesting than anyone else. The audience went crazy for her.

Jill Frost. In the early 1980s to about 1985, she was a precocious Junior, then Senior, who was very expressive, with great jumps, step sequences, spins.

Kylen15
11-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Funny you should mention Frost. She finished third in the figures at 1984 nationals, ahead of Tiffany Chin. In fact, if I understood things correctly, it was that figures placement that cost Chin winning the national title?

Darrell H
11-14-2005, 11:38 AM
I agree with all mentioned and would add Katherine Healy.

jazzpants
11-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Since you guys mentioned Derrick Delmore, I would like to throw in our local guy, Justin Dillon into the hat too!!! (I've also watched Derrick skate too... along with Justin. Scary to be on the same ice as these two guys together!!! The speed alone is... 8O 8O 8O! And the skating? :bow::bow::bow: )

And since I've watched him skate at Fire & Ice... keep an eye out for Rohene Ward (http://www.roheneward.com/)!!! He's just AMAZING to watch!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (And I see he's competing at the Midwestern Sectionals this year!!! WOO HOO!!! GO ROHENE!!!)

As for WOMEN never making it big... how about Bebe Liang? (And I agree on the Amber Corwin.)

Mel On Ice
11-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Rohene is one of my favorite male skaters and I hope he makes it to Nationals this year and I finally get the guts to wish him luck in person.

twokidsskatemom
11-14-2005, 03:20 PM
ITA!!! I saw South Atlantic regionals one year on CN8 and I think Derrick Delmore skated to Bond, and it was great--very inventive choreography, and very crisp clean line and movement. I think he did the choreography for the program. Lou Tilley and JoJo Starbuck were commentating, and I think Lou asked Jojo something to the effect of when would he become great (I can't recall the exact words) and JoJo said that she thought he already was.

I think for awhile now, Jill Shipstad Thomas helps with his programs.Since 96 maybe?

Lois
11-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Joanna Ng is high on my list, along with Jeri Campbell and some of the aforementioned skaters, especially Jill Frost and Naomi Nari Nam.

Lois

stardust skies
11-14-2005, 10:15 PM
As for WOMEN never making it big... how about Bebe Liang? (And I agree on the Amber Corwin.)

Bebe's 17...she's been on the circuit forever, but she's still got plenty of time should she want it, to make it. :)

jazzpants
11-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Bebe's 17...she's been on the circuit forever, but she's still got plenty of time should she want it, to make it. :)True... but then again, I'm waiting for her to make her move though (and to my knowledge, she's not on the list of the third person mentioned before to take the third Olympic spot.) :lol: :twisted: :P

Interesting that there's a possibly that you'll have a Southern Cal sweep for the ladies representing the US in the Olympics... :P

MQSeries
11-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Well Angela N. did better "on the scene" than any of the others on this list so far ... but I think she had the potential to go much further if all the fates hadn't been conspiring against her.

Putting asides all the unfortunate things that have happened to Angela's personal life, the one major thing that was holding Angela's back was her mind. If she messed up one jump, something inside her automatically shuts down. Being a high level athelete like she was/is, it's hard to imagine how she could not have trained to attack the rest of her program even after a mistake.

Kylen15
11-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Didn't he win or place second at the Olympic Festival the same year Lipinski won it?

viennese
11-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Katherine Healy's a unique skater, isn't she? Making it big in many different ways....

She turned professional as a child in order to skate with John Curry's company, became an actress, then a professional ballet dancer, then a star college student, then a professional skater again, showcasing her balletic style.

(I probably have some of that in the wrong order...but with her elegant style, she didn't seem destined to compete in the triple-jump era)

Kylen15
11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Here's another name I'd forgotten about: Morgan Rowe.

kitkat
11-18-2005, 08:49 PM
I was at nationals in 97. And one of my favorite performaces was by Kathleen Kelly Catone. Sorry the spelling of her name may be way wrong. Anyway, it was a great skate, it was just that she only had triple toe and salchow, maybe a loop but not the harder triples like flip and Lutz. Anyway, it was a beautiful performance, and I think she was already 29 by then.

On a side note, she judged one of my events at an adult competition. And let's just say she did not like my skating nearly as much as I like hers!!