View Full Version : MTV's Made - male skater

Schmeck
10-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Just caught the beginning and end of it, but MTV's Made (where they get a wannabee a coach and try to teach them a skill in 6 weeks) had a high school lacrosse player learning to skate. Supposedly, in six weeks he competed, and came in 2nd??? It was rather farfetched that he placed, even at a no-test competition (or a basic skills one!) but he managed a few pathetic waltz jumps, and a two foot spin, a terrible back spiral, and that's about it, LOL

Anyone else catch it? Know who the coach was?

Terri C
10-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Just caught the beginning and end of it, but MTV's Made (where they get a wannabee a coach and try to teach them a skill in 6 weeks) had a high school lacrosse player learning to skate. Supposedly, in six weeks he competed, and came in 2nd??? It was rather farfetched that he placed, even at a no-test competition (or a basic skills one!) but he managed a few pathetic waltz jumps, and a two foot spin, a terrible back spiral, and that's about it, LOL

Anyone else catch it? Know who the coach was?

The coach was my old coach, Dave Loncar, who coaches in the Richmond , VA area! He is in NO way a wannabe coach, as my first private coach, he taught me a lot and got me through my Pre Pre Moves and Pre Bronze free test. He also has coached quite a few adults, one of whom won her Interp group at AN last year!
BTW, they didn't have 6 weeks to pull the competition skate off, it was THREE!

yvettedeena
10-29-2005, 02:59 PM
The coach was my old coach, Dave Loncar, who coaches in the Richmond , VA area! He is in NO way a wannabe coach, as my first private coach, he taught me a lot and got me through my Pre Pre Moves and Pre Bronze free test. He also has coached quite a few adults, one of whom won her Interp group at AN last year!
BTW, they didn't have 6 weeks to pull the competition skate off, it was THREE!

Schmeck didn't say the coach was a wannabe, just the person who wanted to learn to skate.

icedancer2
10-29-2005, 03:11 PM
I caught on ly the last minute or two of this -- my husband saw the whole thing and was quite impressed at how much this young man could do after only 6 weeks!!

Impressive. :)

Terri C
10-29-2005, 03:20 PM
I caught on ly the last minute or two of this -- my husband saw the whole thing and was quite impressed at how much this young man could do after only 6 weeks!!

Icedancer:
If you read my post, from what the coach told me, this was not done in 6 weeks, but 3!

jazzpants
10-29-2005, 04:23 PM
I wanna be MADE to a Bronze level FS skater!!! :P :twisted: :mrgreen:

Hell, even six weeks seems farfetched but THREE WEEKS!!!! 8O 8O 8O

Zack :bow: :bow: :bow: (Dave Loncar too, for that matter!)

My favorite scene is still how the dad was challenging Dave to a benchpress. (Geez, I knew Dave could lift THAT!!! :roll: I just want to see the dad's reaction.)

Terri: What's this Dave guy's claim to fame (other than a MADE coach?) What's his competitive record?

NoVa Sk8r
10-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Icedancer:
If you read my post, from what the coach told me, this was not done in 6 weeks, but 3!Just watched--it was a bit more than 5 weeks (36 or 37 days).
What a riot that episode was.
I was glad to hear Zach, the jock, say that figure skating is much harder than it looks.

MQSeries
10-29-2005, 11:26 PM
but he managed a few pathetic waltz jumps, and a two foot spin, a terrible back spiral, and that's about it, LOL

Zach also did a toe loop. The elements that Zach completed and the quality of those elements were really not much different than what I see a lot of adult skaters attempt out on public ice all the time and many of those said adult skaters have been skating for a lot longer than Zach, so what Zach was able to pull off in his short time was actuallly pretty good.

Did anyone recognize Zagoridnuk (Zaggy? ) nearby when Zach was talking to his father after he finished his program?

The whole thing was funny. Does anyone know why Zach chose figure-skating?

Schmeck
10-30-2005, 05:21 AM
I missed the toe loop! My daughter commented that his waltz jumps were similar to mine, :giveup: I just expected more from the intense 'Made' concept, even given the short time constraints.

From the clips shown of the other competitors, I don't see how he was given second place. And what's up with the score they gave out? It sounded odd - 'with a total of 24.9' or somesuch. Were they really using CoP? At this level? And if so, then why didn't we have CoP at Regionals? :lol:

sceptique
11-01-2005, 02:49 AM

How many hours did he actually do? I suppose, if you are already fit and skate every day or 6 weeks, nothing is impossible.

jazzpants
11-01-2005, 10:57 AM
How many hours did he actually do? I suppose, if you are already fit and skate every day or 6 weeks, nothing is impossible.Well, I *AM* very fit and skate about 5 days a week for at least a couple of years. Trust me! I didn't see that much of an improvement on my skating! (though admittedly, it's noticably better than last year...) :twisted:

Of course, he does have a couple of advantages over me... he's young and has the fearless factor. Did you see how many falls he took and how many of those falls I would have thought "Oh, dear! I think I just broke something..." :P

MusicSkateFan
11-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Well they edit the **** out of those things...he could have fallen all over the place in the performance and we would not know it! Frankly, I was not that impressed...he did not have much in the way of skating...could he do a crossover? But it made ok TV...I did like how he kept saying how hard it was!

For someone who was so athletic in one sport...he did not have great success transferring his skills. 8-)

jazzpants
11-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Well they edit the **** out of those things...he could have fallen all over the place in the performance and we would not know it! Frankly, I was not that impressed...he did not have much in the way of skating...could he do a crossover? But it made ok TV...I did like how he kept saying how hard it was!

For someone who was so athletic in one sport...he did not have great success transferring his skills. 8-)Well, the idea is to get a "taste" in the life of a figure skater and try to skate a program in a short time. Probably he can't do a crossover to save his butt (not that anything else he was doing did save his but... :twisted: :lol: ) I sure if he was to continue on his figure skating discovery that he probably would have Coach Dave making him doing crossover drills 'til the cows come home...like the rest of us poor figure skaters souls :lol: :twisted: )

But I agree on one point: I wish I saw the entire program, not just small spots here and there!!! They had enough time for a 1:40 program to show that!!!

Did anyone actually see this kid do the competition MTV Made was filming? How did he do?

MQSeries
11-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure what you were expecting. Giving the premise of the show (ie. Zach's non-skating background, the few weeks he was training, an MTV show) the way Zach skated was exactly the way I envisioned it. I would have been shocked if Zach had skated any other way.

jazzpants
11-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Ummm, and just what did you expect out of a kid who has only skated a couple of times in his life when he first started this quest and only had at most a few weeks to learn this program, PLUS homework and LaCrosse practice??? And no, he has never done ballet either.

Terri C
11-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Uh, excuse me, but this took place in a course of three weeks!
What were you looking to see, triple jumps and rocker choctaws? :roll:

icedancer2
11-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Uh, excuse me, but this took place in a course of three weeks!
What were you looking to see, triple jumps and rocker choctaws? :roll:

REally -- ITA!!! Have you ever seen a skater after 3 weeks??? I thought he ROCKED!! (Plus he looked so cute in that outfit -- I thought he looked like a real skater!!).

jazzpants
11-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Hmmm? Me thinks SwizzleMaster is a TROLL!!! :evil:

But just in case he's not... since you're such a master at swizzles, would you mind posting a link to your triple flip video on this thread 3 weeks later??? :twisted: :mrgreen:

jazzpants
11-02-2005, 08:12 PM
I'll revoke my statements about you being a troll too! Just that it just came off that you were expecting "a miracle" in 3-4 weeks and well, coupled with the fact that you're a new poster and has only posted about this thread, my "troll" alert got pinged...

Toe loops and waltz jumps in about 4-5 weeks is nothing to sneeze at, pathetic or not. Remember, it take a short time to get something and a LOOOONG time to master it!!! ;) (Then again, that's not saying much for my loop jumps :frus: )

Friends??? :mrgreen:

twokidsskatemom
11-02-2005, 10:22 PM
I think since he was 16, never skated, had school and other things going on he did great.
It takes alot of time to learn how to skate, let alone do a program.For the few weeks he spent, even doing a waltz jump was doing good.
The scoring I think had to be some set up just for MTV, but it was nice to see a boy skating.

jazzpants
11-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Why are you flip-floping on the issue? Put yourself in his shoes... if you were getting up at 5:30am to get to the rink by 6am for at least an hour of falling, going to school full time, during intermural sport (in which YOU were considered a star athlete...), ballet, skating practice in the afternoon, and you have everyone breathing down your neck about your ice skating including your dad and your skating coach (but on different things...I'm sure Dave is not a mean coach...just has high expectations like all good skating coaches do, not to mentioned it was heavily edited for effect...), how would YOU act?

"Best friend" Mike sure didn't act like a friend to me.... HE didn't show up to support him at his skating competition in the end! That's pretty lame, if you ask me!!!

skaternum
11-03-2005, 11:48 AM
jazzpants said to SwizzleMaster: Why are you flip-floping on the issue?
Um, a better question is, why are you responding to a troll? :)

IheartOksana
11-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Yeah, this is my first post and so you probably won't believe me, but i go to Zach's Highschool and he showed me this thread. Swizzlemaster is Zach, he just came on here to make fun of himself in a public forum. Sorry Zach, cats out of the bag now.

icedancer2
11-03-2005, 01:57 PM
So what happened to Swizzlemaster's posts? Were they edited ou? Was it that bad??

jazzpants
11-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Um, a better question is, why are you responding to a troll? :)Ummm... oops!!! :oops:

So what happened to Swizzlemaster's posts? Were they edited ou? Was it that bad??Ummm... read the edited comments on my last post. ;) :lol: (Bye bye, SwizzleMaster!!!)