View Full Version : The hinged skates

Aimless
10-27-2005, 01:42 PM
I was interested to hear that Csizny is wearing the hinged skates. What are the early reports on this skate in action? Is there any sacrifice in ankle support, or other downside? Are other elite skaters using them? I'm not a skater myself but they look an awful lot more comfortable, safer and softer for landing jumps, and have esthetic appeal too--the foot more pointable in extension and so forth. With all the new equipment in other sports, it's about time that figure skating made some changes, seems to me.

Figureskates
10-27-2005, 05:44 PM
I went to North Atlantics in Lake Placid and one senior lady had her hinge skate brake during her program. Also a senior lady competitor skater from my club sez her hinge skates broke every 10 days or so and she finally went back to the regular boot.

skate1965
10-28-2005, 09:08 AM
I was told that there were some early problems with the hinged boot, but that they've been corrected now. I am seriously considering getting them at this point. I tried them on without blades and they felt great. I have Graffs at the moment.

schoolfigures
10-28-2005, 09:40 AM
I purchased the Proflex late July. I am fairly pleased with my purchase. I am an Adult Skater - Silver Level III

There is a "Break In" period. It takes a bit to get use to the design. I tell people it is like skating with your lasses untied. Ankle control and strenght is needed. I have a few battle wounds around my ankles but that is about it.

I have not had any thing break on the boot. My skating has definately improved edges, footwork, lifts in jump. Most of my spins are fine, other than the sit spin, I am working on controling my ankle as it is flexed in the spin.

The only downside, it take about 5-10 mins each session to really fine the comfort zone. If you tighted the wires to tight it can cause cramping and it they are not tight enough you feel a bit unsecure. It is kinda like goldielocks and the three bear, you have to adjust the wires until they are just right.

My jury is still out, I have only skated once in my old boot and now they are on display!! I may just purchase a standard boot for back-up purposes.

There is rumors that Jackson is redesigning the boot based on feedback from skater.

These skates are not for everyone. It is a leap of faith!!

unafaluna
10-28-2005, 01:19 PM
The senior lady who is wearing the new hinge boot has been testing them for about 3 years. I was told the finished boot will be ready and on sale near Christmas. It is unfortunate however her boot problem occured during the LP.

dbny
10-28-2005, 04:30 PM
At Skate America, Czisny said she loves the hinged boot and will not go back.