View Full Version : USFSA Rulebook Is a Must

nja
09-14-2005, 09:55 PM
I have seen a number of threads where people are trying to get information for tests or competitions or they are trying to find websites on where to get that information. While these forums and websites are helpful, I can't stress enough the importance of owning or at least having access to the current USFSA Rulebook if you are testing or competing. No one should attempt testing without consulting the rulebook as it explicitely describes what each test requires, the order (for MIF tests) elements should be skated and what the judges' criteria are.

Forums and websites are ok for supplemental information, but sometimes they are not always accurate. We once had a lady, who had not checked the rulebook and only consulted a website, attempt the Bronze MIF test (I think she was doing this without a coach). It turned out the website had omitted one of the elements entirely. The skater came away embarrassed and the judge shaking her head. Don't take the risk; be prepared. If you worked this hard to test or compete, then be sure you are doing it right!

icedancer2
09-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Wow -- you said it!!

Sometimes we judge at a local comp where it's obvious certain coaches and their skater never really consulted the rule book to see which elements were required. The programs, albeit lovely, had so many deduction from missing elements, etc. --

Very sad. So easy to remedy!

(Although I think the rule book is really really confusing to the average skater/coach/parental unit/judge...)

Debbie S
09-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Plus, sometimes the rulebook is at odds with other info provided by the USFSA, and doesn't always provide complete information. When I was getting ready to test Pre-Bronze FS, my coach brought the test form from her Pre-Bronze FS test to our lesson when we were putting the test elements in sequence, b/c she was confused about the order of the elements. Apparently, the rulebook has the elements listed in a different order than the actual test sheet that is on the USFSA website (and used by the judges). We went with the test sheet's order, but I've seen adults take the test with the elements in a different order (I assume that's the rulebook's order), but the good news is that the judges don't seem to mind, b/c they've passed. But still - tests are stressful enough w/o having to worry about what order you should follow.

Also, adult moves tests are apparently not listed separately from the standard track moves tests. At least, I once overheard a coach trying to find the order of elements for Pre-Bronze moves and flipping through a bunch of pages and couldn't find it. I've seen a few pages from the rulebook where moves that are on both the standard and adult tracks have the adult test written right below the standard "name" (ex: PPM #1, APBM #1), so that must be how adult moves are included in the rulebook. But that gets confusing and the test order should at least be listed separately. Especially now that the Pre-Bronze moves test has a new move (3-turn pattern) that is not on any standard track moves test.

skaternum
09-15-2005, 04:48 AM
Amen! I've been irritating people for years here, because I keep throwing that into lots of "need info" threads. I'm sometimes really disappointed when people report that their coach doesn't know what the test requirements are, etc. Jeez, that's what you're paying them for! So yeah, I agree:

1. Get a rulebook.
2. Use the available info from USFSA on the web (forms, clarifications, etc.).
3. Stop asking us. :) I'm always amazed at how many people on the web will just guess at an answer when they don't know. And at how many wrong or incomplete answers are given!
4. Ask your coach. If he/she doesn't know & can't figure out how to find out, get another coach!

jenlyon60
09-15-2005, 05:19 AM
At my club, the test chair slightly modifies the order of the elements on Pre-Preliminary, swapping the consecutive edges and the spirals, so that she can best utilize the ice space. Note that this is because Pre-Preliminary can be single-paneled with Silver or higher judges, and this way she can have up to 6 tests going on at the same time. She runs the perimeter stroking, having all 6 skaters line up and go around the rink in each direction, then the spirals, having the 6 skaters line up, spaced apart, at one end of the rink, then sends the skaters over to "their judge" for the edges and the waltz 8.

We went with the test sheet's order, but I've seen adults take the test with the elements in a different order (I assume that's the rulebook's order), but the good news is that the judges don't seem to mind, b/c they've passed.

dani
09-15-2005, 06:10 AM
Also, adult moves tests are apparently not listed separately from the standard track moves tests.

They are listed seperately at the front where it lists the elements per test. However the pages that contain the patterns etc. are not duplicated. That made the silver test very confusing when it contained elements from pre-pre up to Intermediate!

Hugs,
Danielle

ps) Hey everyone, I am keeping up a little ;-) Oops - have to get back to work!

Isk8NYC
09-15-2005, 06:43 AM
When I used to belong to a dance and freestyle club, I photocopied the dance pages from my USFS manual onto one sheet of paper, shrinking to fit two on each side of the page. That way, I could fold it in half and be able to join in (badly, I might add) without fumbling for papers or dropping the book in a puddle. We could do the same to bundle Adult MITF pages together for ourselves.

If you skate ISI, you also need their manual.

If you have a manual that's 1 or 2 years old, you can check the organization's website for updates. I just bought a set of the latest ISI manuals, which was simply the 2-year old manual plus printed/punched pages from their website.

Skate@Delaware
09-15-2005, 07:28 AM
When I used to belong to a dance and freestyle club, I photocopied the dance pages from my USFS manual onto one sheet of paper, shrinking to fit two on each side of the page. That way, I could fold it in half and be able to join in (badly, I might add) without fumbling for papers or dropping the book in a puddle. We could do the same to bundle Adult MITF pages together for ourselves.--snipped--
Reminds me of the time my coach had copied some moves onto paper so she wouldn't have to carry the book out onto the ice....well she set it down on the ice so she would have her arms free for demonstrating some moves. Papers were forgotten until after the zamboni had 'eaten' them... :lol: We still laugh about it....now she stuffs them in her pocket

LoopLoop
09-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Also, adult moves tests are apparently not listed separately from the standard track moves tests. At least, I once overheard a coach trying to find the order of elements for Pre-Bronze moves and flipping through a bunch of pages and couldn't find it. I've seen a few pages from the rulebook where moves that are on both the standard and adult tracks have the adult test written right below the standard "name" (ex: PPM #1, APBM #1), so that must be how adult moves are included in the rulebook. But that gets confusing and the test order should at least be listed separately. Especially now that the Pre-Bronze moves test has a new move (3-turn pattern) that is not on any standard track moves test.

The adult moves are listed in the text pages, in order and everything. The diagrams are not separated out, however, they just have notes on the top of each page identifying them.

Joan
09-15-2005, 10:32 AM
We once had a lady, who had not checked the rulebook and only consulted a website, attempt the Bronze MIF test (I think she was doing this without a coach). It turned out the website had omitted one of the elements entirely. The skater came away embarrassed and the judge shaking her head. Don't take the risk; be prepared. If you worked this hard to test or compete, then be sure you are doing it right!

That happened to me the first time I tried to test Bronze MIF, although I doubt that I am the one you are referring to. It was quite soon after the adult MIF track was created and I consulted the USFSA web page, which had a comparison table of test standards for the adult track vs. the standard track. This table listed only 4 moves for Bronze MIF (it omitted the forward perimeter power stroking) and it had the other moves in the wrong order. Because I printed this out and brought it to my coach, we both operated on the assumption that USFSA had correct info on their web site. So when I did my test, I did things in the wrong order and omitted the Forward power ... move. The judge let me look at the pattern and try it as part of my reskate, but I ended up not passing.

So, don't even believe the USFSA web site! Believe only the rulebook!

Isk8NYC
09-15-2005, 10:49 AM

I think the USFSA is better organized than the ISI. Perhaps using both website and rulebook is in order. I took an ISI judge's test this past weekend (I passed) and one of the questions was whether a skater needed to pass Delta to take the Ice Dance tests. I referred to a brand-new rulebook, which didn't say anything about required tests. My own rulebook, which had notes from the prior instructors' seminars, had the requirement crossed out. Unfortunately, I left it at home, along with my checkbook. I believe I answered correctly, but I did it from memory. The change was noted on the website, but not in the rulebook.

So, I guess you have to transfer notes from one book to the other, and add in the notes where needed from websites and seminars. Frustrating, isn't it?

Isk8NYC
09-15-2005, 10:50 AM
....now she stuffs them in her pocket

I think someone's website (Don Korte's maybe?) offers a laminated flyer with test requirements. I'd lose it anyway, so it's not worth the money.

TaBalie
09-15-2005, 10:56 AM
I agree... But I just re-started skating in June (and immediately ordered the rule book).... I don't have an old rule book to reference unfortunately, so I am eagerly waiting for the 2006 book to be published.

Debbie S
09-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks, Loops and Dani, for the clarification on the moves listings.

But in my case, I was taking a test (Pre-Bronze FS) which had been in place for years. The test forms on the USFSA website are the ones used by the judges to score your test. It doesn't help that the test sheet tells you one thing and the rulebook tells you another. Someone in the USFSA has seriously dropped the ball on that one. It's annoying that it hasn't been corrected by now. You'd think the judges would talk to TPTB about that, since they're the ones that have to judge elements in a different order than what's in front of them. :roll:

Edited to add that there is yet another error with USFSA-provided info. The "new" test sheet for Silver MIF has substituted the power pulls for the slide chasses, but has the "old" primary and secondary focus - edge quality and extension. I assume that is a mistake, since the Pre-Juv test form lists power as the focus for the power pulls. I guess the adult form would say "continuous flow and strength." And this is the test sheet that clubs are giving to judges!

jazzpants
09-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Edited to add that there is yet another error with USFSA-provided info. The "new" test sheet for Silver MIF has substituted the power pulls for the slide chasses, but has the "old" primary and secondary focus - edge quality and extension. I assume that is a mistake, since the Pre-Juv test form lists power as the focus for the power pulls. I guess the adult form would say "continuous flow and strength." And this is the test sheet that clubs are giving to judges! Oh dear! :roll: I'm afraid to find out what's in the USFSA rulebook that's coming out. I've just checked the judges form for the Adult Bronze Moves on the USFSA website and they have changed all the moves elements to reflect the new emphasis. (i.e. "continuous flow and strength" instead of power...well, except for one move -- you really can't apply "continuous flow and strength" to 5 step mohawks!) But I won't believe it until I see it in the USFSA rulebook too! And I'm testing Bronze MIF again REAL SOON!!! :twisted:

Debbie S
09-15-2005, 01:28 PM
I've just checked the judges form for the Adult Bronze Moves on the USFSA website and they have changed all the moves elements to reflect the new emphasis. (i.e. "continuous flow and strength" instead of power...well, except for one move -- you really can't apply "continuous flow and strength" to 5 step mohawks!)

Hmmm, this is the form I've been using and the 5-step does have the right focuses (is that a word?). http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/JP_MF-Adult%20Bronze.pdf

I got this from the USFSA website Forms page - under Judges Panel Test Forms (under the Test heading). Are there 2 different test forms on the site? (although sometimes my computer has a problem registering website updates if I've been to a webpage before) Yikes - between that and the rulebook oddities...sheesh. Come on USFSA - standardizing your materials and proofreading isn't exactly rocket science!

miraclegro
09-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Your right about needing to have a rulebook. Mine is a little outdated, but i am on a budget right now with rinks being long-distance, and gas prices having soared. My coach is very well informed, but after i had gotten home, i was just trying to remember the order of things so i did ask on-line, so i could work on some off-ice mental stuff.

So, i appreciate everyone's help, and willingness. I am going to get a book soon! But it was interesting to read these posts about the judges test forms and the rulebook's order not lining up. That is very strange!

Isk8NYC
09-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Yikes - between that and the rulebook oddities...sheesh. Come on USFSA - standardizing your materials and proofreading isn't exactly rocket science!

I hate to say it, but the USFSA still makes ISI documentation look like it was written by amateurs. Same goes for the website.

jazzpants
09-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Hmmm, this is the form I've been using and the 5-step does have the right focuses (is that a word?). http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/JP_MF-Adult%20Bronze.pdf

I got this from the USFSA website Forms page - under Judges Panel Test Forms (under the Test heading). Are there 2 different test forms on the site? If you mean "right focuses" as in "continuous strength and flow", I meant that the website is correct, but who knows with the rulebook, since it's still in production. (And this is the same link that I was referring to...)

Maybe the rulebook release is delayed to do some proof-reading (since I see another thread asking when the rulebook is coming out too...)

I am assuming this link is the correct form this time...or at least it's what I remembered to be correct anyway though... :twisted: :P

twokidsskatemom
09-24-2005, 01:41 AM
I think the USFSA is better organized than the ISI. Perhaps using both website and rulebook is in order. I took an ISI judge's test this past weekend (I passed) and one of the questions was whether a skater needed to pass Delta to take the Ice Dance tests. I referred to a brand-new rulebook, which didn't say anything about required tests. My own rulebook, which had notes from the prior instructors' seminars, had the requirement crossed out. Unfortunately, I left it at home, along with my checkbook. I believe I answered correctly, but I did it from memory. The change was noted on the website, but not in the rulebook.

So, I guess you have to transfer notes from one book to the other, and add in the notes where needed from websites and seminars. Frustrating, isn't it?
I read in my ISI book, you cant do dance if you are BELOW delta.My skater just passed dance 2 but she is in FS3. I did look it up, as what you said made me think :)