View Full Version : Which skaters' families have you seen on tv?

rack
08-17-2002, 08:48 AM
My mother and I were talking this morning about Sasha Cohen's family moving with her to Connecticut, and that led us to discuss which skaters' families show up on tv and which don't. For example, I remember shots of Michelle's brother and sister during the Olympic long program, but I don't remember seeing Sarah's family shown until after she won the gold.

I certainly remember seeing Todd's parents and Michael Weiss's father shown in the audience at competitions. I also remember seeing Shae-Lynn's mother, and I think I remember seeing Jamie Sele's mother as well.

This is about as silly a topic as you're likely to find, but hey, it's a nice change of pace from scandals, etc.

So which parents and/or siblings do you remember seeing on tv, either shown in the audience or during fluff pieces? I promised my mother I'd tell her what you all came up with, so don't let me down! :D

serpentine
08-17-2002, 11:16 AM
i know that many times elvis' mom has been shown on television, and once in a while his father. i also remember seeing kristy wirtz's little girl, tristan. i have seen all the relatives of the people you have mentioned also. at the last couple of canadian nationals they have shown nicole watt's grandparents and brothers cheering her on from the crowd.
i think it is so nice to see so many family members in attendance at these competitions--what a great display of support. then again, i understand also why it may not be feasible for some to be there in person. i recall as a skater that many people's parents (my dad included) could not watch their child's competitive performance...one mother in particular always had to leave the arena, which i found to be quite funny considering her daughter was a strong skater and almost always did well. fortunately, this girl's dad always made a videotape of her programs so her mom wouldnt completely miss out. :)

Orable
08-17-2002, 12:36 PM
I remember Nancy Kerrigan's parents being shown a lot. I actually remember Sarah Hughes family being shown a lot--esp in fluff pieces. Of course the Weiss' and the Eldredges and Surya Bonaly's mom are shown quite a bit. We've seen Kurt's wife adn Jamie Sale's mom. I remember Elena B's mom was in that looooong Lifetime fluff (documentary) adn the European stations show her when she's in the audience.

Cheers, Orable

Oracle
08-17-2002, 02:29 PM
I've seen Anissina & Peizerat's mothers, AP McDonough's, Evan Lysacek's, Johnny Weir's, Scott Davis', Wylie's parents, Boitano's mother, Kristi's whole family, Debi Thomas' parents, Derrick Delmore's mother & sister, Tiffany Chin's mother, Bowman's parents, just too many to recall off the top of my head. :?:

¤Sweetie¤
08-18-2002, 10:46 PM
Victor's mom, Shae's mom and sister, as well as sometimes her brothers...

dmr65
08-19-2002, 05:31 AM
I seen Elena B mom and brother. Anton Sik's mom and dad..

I seen Elena's younger brother twice, mom several times, with Anton's mom and dad a few times.

Anton, seen his dad twice handsome man loooks like his son, mom several times and with Lena's mom..

I seen his older sister once in a picture ;)

Orable
08-19-2002, 09:26 AM
Anton's dad looks like his son or Anton looks like his dad? :D

dmr65
08-19-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Orable
Anton's dad looks like his son or Anton looks like his dad? :D

Cause I seen Anton first, I say Anton's dad looks like him... ;)

JessicaLynn
08-20-2002, 02:47 PM
I know they showed Sasha's dad at 2000 nationals after the short, and in 1999 they showed Naomi Nari Nam's parents crying tears of joy after her long.