View Full Version : Hello I am a new forum member

sokolova12
09-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Hello all, My name is Ekaterina, I am 35 years old and I just started skating a week ago. I took lessons when I was 8 or something, now after some health problems, and financial ones, I am able to start skating again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what boots and blades to purchase?

I heard Reidell was good to start and MK Blades, but I also heard Pattern 99 was better for beginners.

sceptique
09-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Hello all, My name is Ekaterina, I am 35 years old and I just started skating a week ago. I took lessons when I was 8 or something, now after some health problems, and financial ones, I am able to start skating again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what boots and blades to purchase?

I heard Reidell was good to start and MK Blades, but I also heard Pattern 99 was better for beginners.

Welcome! - Dobro pozhalovat', bud'te kak doma! (Am I right to assume you can speak Russian?)

I think most of people here would aree that there are no "best skates" but in general the rule is that they: a. must fit; b. mustn't be too advanced for your level;

Myself, I've got Edea Overture (http://www.edeaskates.com/overture.asp) with MK blades, but since they are my first and only skates, I can't tell if something else would be worse or better. On the esthetics side, I love their pearl colour and "no seam" streamlined look, but then they are covered with overboot tights most of the time anyway! The only trouble with them was that they took ages to break in - my first crease appeared when I started landing my waltzes and toe loops!

Also I didn't know that they're supposed to be worn over really thin socks and tights so I might have picked a pair 1/2 size too big for me, which some say might become a problem.

Yet I'm pretty happy with where they got me so far.

TwirlGirl10
09-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I have Riedell boots too and I love them but Pattern 99's are not for begginers!!!

sokolova12
09-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Welcome! - Dobro pozhalovat', bud'te kak doma! (Am I right to assume you can speak Russian?)

I think most of people here would aree that there are no "best skates" but in general the rule is that they: a. must fit; b. mustn't be too advanced for your level;

Myself, I've got Edea Overture (http://www.edeaskates.com/overture.asp) with MK blades, but since they are my first and only skates, I can't tell if something else would be worse or better. On the esthetics side, I love their pearl colour and "no seam" streamlined look, but then they are covered with overboot tights most of the time anyway! The only trouble with them was that they took ages to break in - my first crease appeared when I started landing my waltzes and toe loops!

Also I didn't know that they're supposed to be worn over really thin socks and tights so I might have picked a pair 1/2 size too big for me, which some say might become a problem.

Yet I'm pretty happy with where they got me so far.

Thanks for the welcome, it looks like a good crowd in here.

I was born here in USA, unfortunately due to family problems I was given up by my Russian mother at an early age, and was raised by an american folks.
So I never got to speak Russian :-(

Anyway, thats another story.

I have been practicing waltz jumps, toe loops, and salchow on the ground. I feel so silly practicing it in my dining room area. Any advice on off ice jumping, I would appriciate it. How do I get more height and distance?

Also, what is the difference between the brown skates and the white skates?

sokolova12
09-13-2005, 04:00 PM
I have Riedell boots too and I love them but Pattern 99's are not for begginers!!!

Are they for advanced skaters?

mikawendy
09-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Also, what is the difference between the brown skates and the white skates?

Welcome!

In general (and this is only a generalization, there are always exceptions)...
White skates are usually worn by women (though not all women wear white skates). I've mainly seen women wear tan colored skates (some synchronized skating teams require that their skateres wear tan boots). Sometimes rental skates for all are also tan/brown. I've mainly seen men wear black skates. But I've also seen some women wear black skates, and there are some people who wear purple boots or red boots (you know who you are ;) )

jazzpants
09-13-2005, 09:06 PM
But I've also seen some women wear black skates, and there are some people who wear purple boots or red boots (you know who you are ;) ):halo: :mrgreen: :lol:

(BTW: I wore black skates before I got the purple ones...needless to say, the coaches around here insists that over the boot tights are in my wardrobe...) :roll:

sokolova12
09-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Purple and Red skates? Ive got to see this :D

jazzpants
09-14-2005, 01:01 AM
Purple and Red skates? Ive got to see this :DMy skates...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4821/893/320/Purple%20Skates.jpg

Red skates would be Mrs. Redboots, but her boots isn't really red, it's just she has red boot covers... :)

TashaKat
09-14-2005, 01:16 AM
there are some people who wear purple boots boots (you know who you are ;) )

Me! me! Unfortunately I can't put a pic of them up at the moment because they block photobucket here :( but they look very much like jp's :)

Anyway ... I just wanted to say 'hi' and welcome. I love your name, Ekaterina is so beautiful as a name :)

I have Harlick boots and Gold Seal blades for Free skating and Wifa Diamonds with MK Dance blades for Dance. I prefer the Harlicks though the Wifas are good for dance. If you were to look at Wifa, though, the Diamonds would be too stiff to start with (I actually prefer the Super Goldstar). Harlicks are absolutely beautiful but are a 'bit' expensive so it would depend on what you would want to spend.

All the best

x

jazzpants
09-14-2005, 02:38 AM
Me! me! Unfortunately I can't put a pic of them up at the moment because they block photobucket here :( but they look very much like jp's :) Here's a picture of your boots, TK! (Are they beautiful or what!?!?!!) :D (This picture is the inspiration for me getting my own purple skates.)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4821/893/320/PurpleBoots.jpg

Mrs Redboots
09-14-2005, 10:56 AM
there are some people who wear purple boots or red boots (you know who you are ;) )Mine aren't red, just boot covers! Actually, I have several pairs of bootcovers - 2 pairs of black, 2 of red (1 crimson, 1 scarlet - the latter kindly given me by DBNY in 2001), 2 green, 2 turquoise (1 dark, 1 light), 1 navy, 1 royal blue, 1 gold/flesh coloured, 1 white, 1 shocking pink and 1 sort of psychedelic multicoloured! Those are the conventional lycra ones; I have also several pairs of knitted ones for winter use in various colours, plus at least three pairs I've knitted for various competitions, one looking like knee-socks and sandals, one like lace-up boots and stripy socks and one (the most recent) like trainers (sneakers, gym shoes) with socks!!

All started years ago when I first began skating, and I'd bought a pair of red boot covers (not either of the pairs I have now; this pair sadly got lost). So I decided to wear them all the time, as I decided I'd really rather the people at the rink, until they learnt my name, thought of me as "the woman with the red bootcovers" rather than as "that fat woman who can't skate". And it sort of snowballed..... :oops:

samba
09-14-2005, 11:57 AM
All started years ago when I first began skating, and I'd bought a pair of red boot covers (not either of the pairs I have now; this pair sadly got lost). So I decided to wear them all the time, as I decided I'd really rather the people at the rink, until they learnt my name, thought of me as "the woman with the red bootcovers" rather than as "that fat woman who can't skate". And it sort of snowballed..... :oops:

ha ha, Well you certainly aint that anymore Annabel, on both counts.

Cheers
Grace

techskater
09-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Pattern 99 blades are defintely for a more advanced skarer. They are designed for high doubles (thinkdouble axel) and triples. You are best off ina lower model blade (also much less $$$$$). Advanced blades way beyond your skill level will never be cost effective and may hinder advancement (the same way too much boot can be a hindrance). I would suggest first getting a recommendation from your coach and second getting a recommendation for a boot fitter. While a coach can make suggestions, many people on this board will tell you that to each his/her own when it comes to boot family that works best. Good luck

mikawendy
09-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Mine aren't red, just boot covers!

Sorry about that! I posted last night, then on my way to work this morning it occurred to me that I had made a mistake!

There's a woman at one rink I skate at who has sparkly blue/purple cloth soakers for her blades. I've never seen soakers like those before, and they're really neato!

jazzpants
09-14-2005, 07:46 PM
ha ha, Well you certainly aint that anymore Annabel, on both counts.Speaking of which... Annabel, you should post some more recent photos of yourself in your new well-earned slim figure on your website!!! :mrgreen:

From a gal who has gained back a few pounds and needs to slim back down again for Skate SF... GRRRR!!! :frus:

sue123
09-14-2005, 09:35 PM
For some reason, I can't seem to see any pictures, assuming they're posted of course, because by the language, it would seem like hte pictures of purple skates was posted. Is there something wrong with me?

jazzpants
09-15-2005, 12:44 AM
For some reason, I can't seem to see any pictures, assuming they're posted of course, because by the language, it would seem like hte pictures of purple skates was posted. Is there something wrong with me?I can see the pictures. Which browser are you using? If it's IE 6.0, you should be able to see it.

Anyone else have trouble? Or can you see the pictures?

sarahyani
09-15-2005, 12:58 AM
----------

sue123
09-15-2005, 07:27 AM
I can see the pictures. Which browser are you using? If it's IE 6.0, you should be able to see it.

Anyone else have trouble? Or can you see the pictures?

I'm using Netscape, not sure which type. Lemme try to go under IE, and see if that works.

Edit: Under IE, I can see the pictures. Nice purple skates. I'm thinking it might be the forum isn't set up to work with netscape?

SkateFan123
09-15-2005, 09:20 AM
:halo: :mrgreen: :lol:

(BTW: I wore black skates before I got the purple ones...needless to say, the coaches around here insists that over the boot tights are in my wardrobe...) :roll:

I really don't like tights over the boots. What do you think?

jazzpants
09-15-2005, 11:02 AM
I really don't like tights over the boots. What do you think?:roll: I put up with it! I've always been the odd lady skater simply b/c I just don't like conventional white. I could wear synch tan colors, but some of those shades of synch tan colors I surely would not want.

My coaches are sympathetic of my cause, but they don't want to risk the negative consequences of my outfit with the judges. I don't wear over the boot tights when I'm practicing though. Of course, I found out a couple of years ago that I could wear black boots to competitions. The skating judge says "with black tights, it'll provide a very nice line..." :roll:

Also, I have to keep in mind of the overall outfit. If I'm wearing something very bright RED, I certainly wouldn't want to clash with my purple skates. (I bought black b/c I had a lot of dark clothing and black boots matches with all those outfits...)

doubletoe
09-15-2005, 02:16 PM
For a beginner, Jackson boots are a good value for the price. I think mine were just $100 or so. (But if your feet are wide in the toes like mine are, you might have to go up half a size or else they will pinch your toes.) Your coach and boot fitter can recommend blades. You will probably want to go with a blade that has a 7' rocker, so that it's good for spinning but also has enough stability for jump landings.

sokolova12
09-16-2005, 04:49 AM
Thank you much