View Full Version : travelling with skates (and flying via the US)

AuroraBorealis
08-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Has anyone travelled long-distance with figure skaters in their luggage?

I'll be spending abroad for a year and recently I discovered that I could skate there, so I'd like to take my skates. I've never travelled with skates, especially by plane, so I'd appreciate any suggestions. I know that they need to be in the checked luggage and can't be taken as part of my carry-on luggage.
Do I need to tell the airline I'll be carrying skates? Should I inform them earlier or at the airport? Do I need to remove the blades from the boot or secure them in some way?
I'm flying to the US and then continuing on to Asia. This is going to be my first time in the US and at an American airport, so please forgive me if any of these questions are silly... My two flights are operated by different carriers. Will I need to pick up my luggage and then check it in again? Could the US security not let me on the flight because of the skates? Is there anything else I should know?

I'll appreciate all hints! :D

KoDLaN
08-08-2005, 04:46 PM
I've recently travelled to a couple of European countries with my hockey skates, and all I did was put it in my checked in luggage and no one had a problem with it. As far as I know that is the standard right around the world.
All sharp and dangerous objects should be in checked in luggage and not in the cabin.
I even had a Sword in my checked in luggage without notifying them!

hope this helps!

:)

jenlyon60
08-08-2005, 04:51 PM
I've flown to/from the US and London with my skates. Checked of course.

My coach and one of his students flew from DC area to Albany NY last week with skates checked. No problems.

For my trip, I stuffed socks and the like down the boots to utilize otherwise empty space. I kept the soft guards on the boots to provide cushioning. Everything stayed fine just as I had packed it. No blade damage, no boot damage or anything.

dbny
08-08-2005, 10:49 PM
I bought a hard shell suitcase just because I was taking my skates cross country. I also stuffed them with socks and kept the soakers on them. I had no problems, and I know that my luggage was searched on the return flight.

Blosmbubbs
08-09-2005, 12:52 AM
I have never had my skates lost in my checked baggage, knock on wood. Yesterday, I got my screwdriver taken away at security cause it's considered a weapon, I just forgot to pack it in the checked baggage. :halo:

Mrs Redboots
08-09-2005, 06:21 AM
When we travel with our skates - which we have done twice to and from the USA since 9/11 - we put the hard guards on the blades and the soakers on top of the hard guards (the only occasion I'd leave my blades in their guards), make sure each skate is in its own bag. Then each skate was filled with pants and/or socks, and packed in the middle of the case. They were fine, absolutely no problem.

In the meantime, the normal skate bag made a good hand-luggage bag!

JulieN
08-14-2005, 10:53 AM
My entire synchro team travelled to Switzerland with our skates in our carry on bags. It all depends on the security at the departing airport. I have always been able to carry my skates on thru Denver International Airport.

When my dance partner and I competed in Lake Placid last year, the security folks didn't bat an eye at the skates, but then confiscated his screw drivers. Go figure... (no pun intended)

Schmeck
08-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Has anyone travelled long-distance with figure skaters in their luggage?

I know it's a typo, but it made me smile :D

SkateFan123
08-15-2005, 01:55 PM
My entire synchro team travelled to Switzerland with our skates in our carry on bags. It all depends on the security at the departing airport. I have always been able to carry my skates on thru Denver International Airport.

When my dance partner and I competed in Lake Placid last year, the security folks didn't bat an eye at the skates, but then confiscated his screw drivers. Go figure... (no pun intended)

I used to travel with mine all the time. Only once, prior to 9/11, did I get questioned about them being in my carryon. Now I don't carry them on the plane. It's good to know you can, however. Thanks.

morganm
08-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Recently we thought we'd give it a try to travel with skates as carry-ons which we had not done since 9/11. We've made 4 trips this summer with the skates and only one TSA scanner hesitated but was told it was ok by another and let us through. The soakers were on, not the guards.