View Full Version : Ice rinks & clubs in Ireland

The Ice Demon
07-20-2005, 01:40 AM
I'm planning to do my OE in the UK next year and was wondering about ice rinks in Ireland and/or Northern Ireland. I haven't found much info on the web.

What I've figured out so far is that there is one rink in Belfast and one in Dublin and there may possibly be a seasonal one in Cork? I was wondering if anyone can confirm this or give me any more info on the rinks/clubs. Where I decide to base myself will depend in part on whether there is an ice rink there! :)

Thanks

dooobedooo
07-20-2005, 03:48 AM
The only one I know of is in Dundonald (in Northern Ireland / Belfast); produced several successful skaters including previous British champion Neil Wilson (who for a while held the world spinning record); has some good coaches.
http://www.theicebowl.com/home.asp

Mrs Redboots
07-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Jenna McCorkell, the current British women's Senior champion, started there, I believe.

Sadly, it's the only permanent rink on the whole island - the Dublin rink closed some years ago, as did the one in Coleraine, so there are none in the Republic and only the one in NI. There probably are seasonal rinks for a few days/weeks around Christmas, these are becoming increasingly popular here, but apart from that....