View Full Version : Jackson Freestyles Recommendations

skippyjoy_207
07-06-2005, 08:46 PM
What levels should Jackson Freestyles be used for? Thanks.

flo
07-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi,
I recently bought a pair of Jacksons. I tried on several, and even skated in a pair before I purchased. I had ordered the top of the line boots as I'm working on doubles, and that was what I had had in Harlicks. However, I needed some custom modifications. Because of the tounge and upper structure of the top boots, they could not do them and I went down one level. They seem to be fine for doubles, and although they may break down faster, I'd rather have the fit I need.
What level are you?

skippyjoy_207
07-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm currently in levels FS 1-3 (combined classes).

skippyjoy_207
07-07-2005, 09:34 AM
You can purchase the Freestyle boot in a set with the Mark IV blade, and the set supposedly takes you through your singles? The price confuses me though; Isn't $170 a bit cheap for an axel? Not that I'm saying the more expensive, the better, because it isn't true all the time... But, it IS a bit weird, seeing the Reidell Silver Star Boot (Recommended for FS 5, when you learn your axel) is $383. Have you tried out the Jackson Freestyle? Is the attached blade (Mark IV) any good for spinning? Thanks.

crayonskater
07-07-2005, 02:00 PM
I think Gordon Sk8rboi is on the Jackson Freestyles with the Mark IV blades; so hopefully he'll see this and can tell you what his experience has been like.

I am on the Jackson Competitors that came with Ultima Mirage blades; I am pretty happy with the fit of the boots, and so far I like the blades. My coach recommended the set and hasn't recommended that I upgrade the blade yet, and it should get me through all of my singles except the axel (I imagine it'll be 2304 by the time I get an axel anyway, by which time I'll probbaly have replaced the boots.).

I'm not sure what the difference between Mirage and Mark IV are (I can't seem to find any information on the Mark IV blade).

Magz
07-07-2005, 02:33 PM
I had Jackson Classiques (1 above the freestyles I think?) and they took me from lutz to landing axels and trying doubles. From the people I've seen with freestyles (if I'm thinking of the correct boot), they've only used them to an axel.

Skate@Delaware
07-07-2005, 03:25 PM
I started with the Jackson Competitors with the Mirage blade and was very happy with the boot (love heat molding) and the blade. I only recently got new boots (same kind-different size due to weight loss) and new blades (different kind-coach's recommendation).

I had no problems learning to spin and jump (other than what this old body gave me) :frus: I just got my scratch spin and almost have a loop.....

NCSkater02
07-07-2005, 03:27 PM
I have the Competitor/Mirage blade set also, and it is serving me well. I am working on FS 1-3, and half jumps.

twokidsskatemom
07-08-2005, 01:45 AM
I had Jackson Classiques (1 above the freestyles I think?) and they took me from lutz to landing axels and trying doubles. From the people I've seen with freestyles (if I'm thinking of the correct boot), they've only used them to an axel.

They are below the jackson fs boot.

My skater daughter and I both have jackson fs boot, but she has the Mk pro blade.She is doing her loop, flip lutz and working on axle prep jumps.There is no reason someone couldnt use this boot to doubles.

slusher
07-08-2005, 07:53 AM
The Kid had a used pair of Freestyles with whatever blade it came with and did axel & double sal. He grew out of the boot before it broke down. He went to Gams next, with a club 2000 blade, just a stock combo, about $200, and did double toe. Grew out of those in like a week, grrr. So, it's not so much what skate is at what level, it's what skate feels good on the feet. I think skaters get in too hard a boot before they need to.

skippyjoy_207
07-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Hmm... If, assuming I'm as good as The Kid, I can do the jumps, right? But what about the spins? They're the ones I have problems with, and the reason why I wanted a boot/blade upgrade. (I had Jackson Mystiques before.)

skippyjoy_207
07-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Just curious- Who is The Kid?

slusher
07-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Just curious- Who is The Kid?

He's my son that still skates. The rest of the bunch are hockey brats now.

Spin wise, spins were best with the club 2000 blade, it was a bit more rockerish and there was an immediate improvement. Currently he's got the biggest blade that can possibly fit on a pair of used Wifa's. The blades are (have to go look), Legacy.

For what it's worth, I know someone is still wearing the Freestyles he had, they still haven't broken down. I'd say they're good up to a double flip probably.

pennybeagle
07-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Just my 2 cents, as a skater and a part-time Basic Skills coach:

For any of the Basic Skills freestyle levels, the Jackson Freestyle is a fine boot, and the Mark IV (or Mirage) is a fine blade, and a real bargain.

Depending on your size, the number of hours you skate per week, and the degree of knee bend you get in your basic stroking, you will probably outgrow this boot and blade before you are doing anything near an axel or double jump. From what I've heard, Jacksons tend to break down quicker than Reidells or SP Teris, but if you're still in the lower freestyle levels, this may be a good thing, as it allows you to upgrade as you progress instead of getting too much boot in the first place. (On a side note--My last pair of Jackson Elites broke down after 2 years of doing axels and attempted doubles, in addition to moves and dance. I'm a 130-lb adult skating 6-10 hours per week depending on the season).

I wouldn't get a boot that is much stiffer than the Jackson Freestyle or Competitor if you are still in FS 1-3 (assuming this is USFSA and not ISI). You want to be able to bend your knees, and you won't be doing jumps that are "big" enough (both in terms of difficulty and speed/height) to necessitate a particularly stiff boot.

You WILL be able to spin in a Mark IV or Mirage blade, provided that you have proper technique. It is true that these are considered "lower level" freestyle blades, but they do have a proper freestyle rocker (8 ft radius, I believe, since they're Ultimas) and should serve you well. I've seen people doing decent 1-foot spins on rentals because they had proper technique--not that I recommend this, but I would definitely say that the blade is never going to learn a spin for you.

skippyjoy_207
07-18-2005, 09:04 PM
I ordered Jackson Competitors and Club 2000 blades today. They're one step above the Freestyles. It'll be coming any day now (I hope). ;) When I take them to the rink with me next week, I'll post again to tell you guys how everything goes. :)

skippyjoy_207
07-18-2005, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't get a boot that is much stiffer than the Jackson Freestyle or Competitor if you are still in FS 1-3 (assuming this is USFSA and not ISI).

My rink is part of ISI. ;)