View Full Version : Your favourite ice dance program - as dance

moragc
08-14-2002, 10:44 PM
A lot of us have been disillusioned lately with ice dance; as a competitive sport it's lost a lot of credibility. But pushing all that aside for the moment, can you name two or three ice dance routines - el or pro - that made you go "wow" for their virtues as dance? Their responsiveness to the music? Their ability to convey the emotion of the piece through movement? Sheer delightful originality? The perfect combination of music, costume and choreography?

I have a few that have been burned into my memory over the years.

1. "Encounter" by Torvill and Dean - every motion had meaning; the whole thing unfolded in a completely accessible way - not so much a story as a series of emotions. Pure and perfect. Art.

2. "Missing", as performed by the Duchesnays. A brilliant selection of music, starting in a meditative way, and building to a heart-pounding climax. But it wouldn't have worked the way it did if the Duchesnays hadn't performed it with such edge-of-the-seat passion and power.

3. "Lawrence of Arabia" by Klimova & Ponomarenko. Most people would think this an odd choice, and would pick their '92 Bach instead, I think. But while some people found the "oasis and sand" theme over the top, I was just enraptured by the colours, the exoticism that matched the exoticism of the music, and the way it exploited Klimova's slightly wild, slightly otherworldly beauty.

OK, there are 3 of mine. Do you have any? If so, don't just list them - say why! :)

Isabelle
08-15-2002, 08:09 AM
Ok, I find that more than any team I've ever seen, Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon DANCE! Probably the 2 programs which show this off the most are their Maria de Buenos Aires OD, and their L-O-V-E OD. For both those programs especially (because I find they do this with all their programs) they really use the music, I mean, what you hear is what you see. And they have the right expression for the music they are skating to. (I mean, they change with the music...I find some other teams look pretty much the same weather it's a waltz or a tango, etc) They just really know how to dance. I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. :( Hope you know what I mean!! :)

loveskating
08-17-2002, 09:56 AM
My favorite ice dance programs:

Bolero, Torvil & Dean
Romeo & Juliet, Klimova & Ponnamarenko
Grishuk & Platov, Requiem
Romeo & Juliet, Anissina & Piezerat
Carmen, Lang & Tchernachev

moragc
08-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Thanks, loveskating. What is it about those particular programs that makes them your favourites?

AxelAnnie22
08-17-2002, 11:47 AM
I am not very articulate in this discipline, however:

Punsulan and Swallow (I apologize for the spelling) - Umbrellas of Cherbourg was a beautiful and moving program. Their use of the umbrella accented their moves. They are a team that "DANCE" a la Fred Astair and Cyd Cherisse, rather than "EMOTE" a la so many European teams.

Loved Silverstein and Pakarek's programs, as well as Naomi and Peter, for the same reasons. Both teams are beautiful on the ice. They are musical in their interpretation of the music, and appropriate in their choice of costume, presentation, etc. I particularly loved the program Naomi and Peter did a couple of years ago where she wore the beautiful white dress.

That is such a dumb description - I feel like such a girl at a car dealer!

Bailey
08-17-2002, 11:58 AM
Tracy Wilson and Rob McCall - 1988 Olympic 'RagTime' Free Dance. To me, that is what dancing is all about...

leap of faith
08-17-2002, 04:47 PM
Wing and Lowe's Chicago OD

Dubreuil and Lauzon's L-O-V-E OD

Bourne and Kraatz's Seachran

Tigger
08-17-2002, 11:26 PM
Tracy and Rob's Ragtime FD from the 87-88 season is also one of my all time favourite dances. I especially love the last 30-40 seconds. The part that's done mostly on the toepicks...I just love the way it goes w/the music and the expression on their faces, espeically Rob's.

To this day, Shae and Victor's Big Band FD from the 94-95 season is my all time favourite FD of theirs. Even more so than Riverdance. The timing of the steps, their expression...It just really worked for them. I still don't believe that thing is a fully timed FD because it just flies by when you watch it.

I don't remember the name of it, but the dance Torvill and Dean did where they started out at the far end of the rink from one another and did the shadow steps perfectly in sync w/out any music for the first bit of the program. That thing was amazing and showed true timing, which a dance team needs. It just sucked you right in and I wish I had it taped.

Marie-France and Patrice's Life Is Beautiful FD. The emotion they showed in that program also just sucked me right in. I'd enjoyed their skating before, but that was the program that made me a real fan of theirs. I also really loved L-O-V-E. That was one of the best OD's of that year IMO.

Ice_On_Winnipeg
08-18-2002, 07:48 AM
I have to agree with Tigger about Marie-France and Patrice's Life is Beautiful. I could watch that over and over again and feel every beat of music and emotion in their skating. That number did make me a fan of theirs and I haven't looked back.

michele
08-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Just wanted to add Rahkammo and Kokko's La Strada. :)

Xiaoxue
08-21-2002, 11:39 AM
1. Ragtime - Tracy and Rob

2. Missing - Torvill and Dean

3. "Russian Puppets" - Krylova and Ovsiannikov - they have a slight edge over 10 other dances.

I have yet to see "Missing" by the Dushesnays. Is it the same one as T/D's? I kind of remember hearing someone say that Dean choreographed the program for the Dushesnays. Is that right?

moragc
08-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Yes, Christopher Dean choreographed "Missing" for the Duchesnays, and the Duchesnay program is based on the T&D program, but it is not the same. The Duchesnay program is divided into two - the first part is the same slowish, rocking music that T&D used, and many of the T&D moves (the sequence of back and forth assisted lifts, for instance) are reproduced with the D's, although they sometimes look quite different on Isabelle and Paul. But the D's program (which was a competitive program, and needed difficulty) then moves into a much more menacing piece of music, which builds and accelerates to a driving pace; you're not human if you don't get caught up in it, IMHO. If the T&D program is about the angst of losing people, the Duchesnay program is about the sheer terror of fleeing.

I think it's the best thing the Duchesnays ever did, and I'm particularly fond of the first performance, at Europeans '90, in Leningrad of all places, where the Russian audiences gave it a standing ovation. It was the program that *should* have won them the World title. (The following year, after receiving poor feedback from judges about their free program, "Mirror Image", they - meaning the Duchesnays and Dean - cobbled together a pale imitation of "Missing" which they called "Missing II" or "Found" - take your pick. Despite the fact that it was badly underrehearsed and sloppy at Worlds '91, it was still inventive and pleasant enough that they won the World Championship anyway.

loveskating
08-21-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by moragc
Thanks, loveskating. What is it about those particular programs that makes them your favourites?

Hi moragc:

All of these skaters have a very high techincal level...but beyond that, the skating informs the music as much as the music informs the skating...is all I can say. And I think that cannot happen when the particular qualities of the specific skaters are not primary in the process of creating the program.

In opera, you are in the voice and in the music, in and out, both at the same time...its all there...and so it is with skating...I'll never forget Pasha Grishuk's beastie spreadeagle between Platov's legs...or the split falling leafs of Klimova as if she were flying in Ponnamarenko's arms, or the long edge movements of Lang & Tchernachev's Carmen that gave it a wildness (NOT flirtation, but WILDNESS) I had never seen before in the music, or the beautiful, exquisite contortions of Torvil and Dean struggling with and for a sensual love.

For me, skating is at its most magnificent when it brings something to the music as skating, and at the same time, when the music and the skating choices bring into full play the TRUE qualities of the given skaters.

Xiaoxue
08-21-2002, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the info, Morag.

I once saw a tv special where Tracy Wilson commented on the career of the Dushesnays. She said that their innovative program "Missing," which is based on the events around the revolution happening in ?_____? in the '70s, was a dance that consisted of dance moves that were also revolutionary.

Do you agree with Tracy? If so, could you give me some descriptive examples?

Lars
08-22-2002, 04:49 AM
As a pure dance, mine would have to be Punsalan & Swallow's Tango from 1998. But as far as interpretation and emotion, Drobiazko & Vanagas' "Spente le Stelle" - I recently rewatched it from Worlds 2001 and I was left speechless.

Ellyn
08-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by moragc
I think it's the best thing the Duchesnays ever did, and I'm particularly fond of the first performance, at Europeans '90, in Leningrad of all places, where the Russian audiences gave it a standing ovation. It was the program that *should* have won them the World title.

Well, they did win the free dance at 1990 Worlds -- you'd have to blame the compulsories and/or OSP for them not winning the world title that year.

I haven't answered this thread yet because there are so many free dances I love as dance for so many different reasons, I wouldn't know where to start. Do you just want a long list?

The Duchesnays were certainly high on my list of what got me interested -- I actually have more of a soft spot for "Missing II" because I saw it first and only later went back to get a tape of the first Missing program.

loveskating
08-23-2002, 08:22 AM
Well, I'd just like to respectfully suggest that there is no such thing as "pure" dance...everything means SOMETHING. A blank canvas with a black X on it means SOMETHING! Everything provokes a meaning once its on display (even a box of flowers in one's window is either an act of showing off or an act of thoughtful concern for every passerby), and its best for the skaters if they know what the meanings might be to different sets of people in their audience.

I'm NOT saying everything is "political", just saying that the mind is provoked SOMEHOW, on some level, by any kind of display or performance.

RoseAugust
08-23-2002, 10:48 AM
My favorite ice dance program was the waltz performed by Silverstein and Pakarek their last season as a team. It totally moved me. I remember watching it over and over again. And, I made my family watch it with me. I think the reason I never warmed up to Sasha Cohen's interpretation of the music last year (SP) was because of my love for S&P's program.

CzarinaAnnie
08-24-2002, 11:02 PM
One of my Faves is F-P&M's "I will survive":oops:
I also like Belbin and Agosto's "Sarejevo"

Miezekatze
08-25-2002, 11:02 AM
Far too many to name them all...

From this season: I really really loved Navka & Kostomarov's Free dance, as well as Faiella & Scali's Original Dance and Belbin & Agostos Original Dance, both OD and FD from Chait & Sakhnovsky.

Earlier than this season, the three Original dances from Fusar Poli & Margaglio from the seasons 97/98 (Jive), 99/00 (Latin) and 00/01 (Quickstep), they were pure ballroom dance, watching those dances makes me want to get up and dance myself (as if I could :lol: ) And also their Dracula FD from 98/99

Grishuk & Platov had some great programs, I loved nearly all of them. Memorial Requiem is one of my favorite programs ever.

I've seen some great Tango's during Rahkamo & Kokko's Tango Cafe show (from all the teams that took part in this), that was overall one of the best figure skating shows that I know.

Nearly all of Rahkamo & Kokko's programs, because of their originality, especially "La Strada" "Memories" and "Red Moon Tango" as competitive programs and their "Por una cabeza" and "Beyond the Invisible" exhibitions.

Klimova & Ponomarenko's FD from 88 Olympics (Beatles medley)

lrng to skt
08-27-2002, 01:55 AM
Ah, how our tastes are different:lol:

While I loved Torville & Dean, Bolero was not my fav. of their's by a long shot - I really like their Beatles medley and the thingy (sorry) that was without music, among many others.

Bestemianova & Bukin - I think I've loved almost everything and I really liked Rasputin, unfortunately they really did let the skills slip.

Klimova & Ponomarenko - Everthing from their Gold Medal on - great Dracula

Gritschuk & Platov - Requiem was a masterpiece that gave me chills

FP/M - Braveheart - splendid

Rahkoma & Kokko - creativity that reminded me of Toller Cranston

I really like the system of seperating the OD from the FD in emphasis. The compulsories are really educational (but maaaaan, that one time of 32 Polkas almost undid me 8O )

The only program of Punsalen & Swallow I ever liked was their Olympic performance and I can't even remember the name of it now

Currently I'm pretty excited about Chait & Sak. ...g

lemondrop
08-28-2002, 12:37 PM
Oh, I agree with so many of the choices already named! Some of my
all-time favorites are:

Klimova & Ponomarenko: 1992 Bach and the Dracula program. Another of their programs that I watch over and over is their 1988 Olympic program to a Beatles medley. It was before they really peaked, but nevertheless a lovely, charming program. I'm no skating expert, but I liked that program so much better than the gold medalists' (B & B) program that year!

Usova & Zhulin: 1992 Olympic program to the Four Seasons, in which they portrayed two statues come to life. Exquisite!

Wilson & McCall's 1988 ragtime program

Punsalan & Swallow's tango (1994?)

Blumberg & Siebert's 1980 Sheherazade. It's been a long time, but I loved the final move in which she wrapped herself around his waist and then dropped to his feet.

Anissina & Peizerat's Romeo & Juliet

JMHO, of course....
Sherry

Anjelica
08-28-2002, 06:39 PM
Annenko and Stretensky's 'Ave Maria' where she wore that beautiful white dress (very underrated team)

lrng to skt
08-28-2002, 10:36 PM
Yowza Anjelica - I agree- they were gorgeous. Also want to add Krylova & Ovsienikov's Mephisto Walz ...g

Mandy
08-30-2002, 12:49 AM
I once saw a tv special where Tracy Wilson commented on the career of the Dushesnays. She said that their innovative program "Missing," which is based on the events around the revolution happening in ?_____? in the '70s

Chile. We watched the movie in Spanish class in college :) Recognized the music right away.

Lark
09-01-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by AxelAnnie22
I am not very articulate in this discipline, however:

Punsulan and Swallow (I apologize for the spelling) - Umbrellas of Cherbourg was a beautiful and moving program. Their use of the umbrella accented their moves. They are a team that "DANCE" a la Fred Astair and Cyd Cherisse, rather than "EMOTE" a la so many European teams.

You know, I have to agree with you in your assessment of P&S. I also think they had an Astair/Cherisse flow to their skating. I never cared for them persay, but I can admit they were one of the few couples who "felt" like they were on an actual ballroom dance floor.
I love B&K for the exact opposite reason.
While P&S emote on the ice, B&K, to me, come across as more of an athletic team. On them, it is wonderful. No emoting necessary.

Giselle
09-01-2002, 02:23 PM
I loved Punsulan and Swalow's free dance at 98 nationals. :)

jeb
09-11-2002, 09:57 PM
My favourite dance program would have to be Bourne/Kraatz's Riverdance. I love Irish music to begin with, and thye just seemed to be having so much fun out on the ice.

Aussie Willy
09-11-2002, 10:20 PM
Well to pick a T&D routine - I like Mack & Mabel the best because it was just so perfect. I think it is one of the best FDs of all time.

Next on my list would be Punsalan & Swallows FD from 91 where they skated to Art of Noise and Yello as racing cars. Extremely innovative and fun.

Also add Rahkammo & Kokko Sad Waltz from 93 - such a beautiful and emotional program.

Bourne & Kraatz - their FD from 95 Worlds - it was the first time I saw them and I just went WOW.

Krylova & Fedorov FD from 93 Worlds - the latin number where I saw Angelica and just went WOW - I thought she was stunning.

D&V Oriental Dream from 98 - they did not placing highly with this program but I thought it was stunning. However I don't think their other programs have caught my attention as much as this one.

As as other people have mentioned Wilson & McCall's Ragtime FD from 98. Just great ice dancing and was worth a silver medal. Even though I did like K&P I just thought it was so much better.

legjumper
09-12-2002, 11:46 PM
From my time as an ice dancing fan (primarily the mid-90s and beyond):

Grishuk & Platov, '97 Libertango OD. As far as I'm concerned, this was just utter mastery of ice dancing: control, tension, sleek edges, this dance had it all!

Klimova & Ponomarenko, '92 Bach FD. One beautiful piece of flowing art.

Punsalan & Swallow, '98 Piazzolla tango FD. For me, the highlight of the '98 Olympic ice dancing and arguably Igor Shpilband's most mature and complete piece of choreography to date. G&P had the bombast, K&O had the drama, B&K had the perk, and A&P had the romance, but P&S's tango was all about a man and woman dancing.

Rahkamo & Kokko, '95 Quickstep OD. It was a very untraditional interpretation of the rhythm, but it was so joyous and delightful that it remains for me the most memorable quickstep of all.

Torvill & Dean, '94 Rhumba OD. Wow. They perfectly captured the slow sensuality of a rhumba and set the standard (for me) for rhumba interpretations.

Honorable mentions:

Anissina & Peizerat, '99 Man in the Iron Mask FD. Most people seem to like either Romeo and Juliet or Carmina Burana best, but MITIM best demonstrates the A&P dynamic and style, IMO. Beautiful integration of lifts and connecting moves, as well as creating a mood.

Grishuk & Platov, You'll See exhib. They used it between 96 and 98, I think. Sure, Pasha was obsessed with Madonna, but she really pulls it off in this program.

Winkler & Lohse, '00 Time Goes Millennium FD. Modern without being too quirky. I love the lift when the fireworks go off.

Belbin & Agosto, '02 Oscar Tango exhib. It's kind if a "best-of" demo of all of their most memorable lifts, but it's the first program they've done that really went to that next level of maturity and ability to completely set a mood with their skating.

Fun topic, Morag! Thanks!

Greek Chic
09-17-2002, 07:35 AM
Well I have two all-time favourite Ice Dance programs.

1. Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz (Riverdance). I have never seen such a great program by this duo. It was filled with emotion, difficult footwork, and they skated their hearts out. I don't think that any of their programs will top this one. I just can't wait to see this program again. Hopefully I will see it.

2. Jane Torvill & Christopher Dean (Bolero). When I first saw this program at the 1994 Olympics, in my opinion it was still skated with the same speed, passion, and flair as it was 10 yrs prior to that.

I am sure that there will be many other programs that I will like in the near future, but these are the top 2 for now.

icenut84
09-18-2002, 04:02 PM
I have so many I love, but probably my all time favourite is Torvill & Dean's "Encounter". It's one of those programmes you just can't tear your eyes away from, it's beautiful. It's about six minutes long, and only has two backward crossovers in the whole thing - I can't think of any other skater who can say that, especially not about a 6 minute long programme! It's pure choreography, shapes, unusual moves and unusual lifts, deep and smooth edges, balance, everything. They also start and end at opposite ends of the ice to each other, but still retain their incredible unison throughout. I love it. The music is a classical piano piece called "January Stars".

tdnuva
09-25-2002, 09:38 AM
as an absolute T&D fan...

Encounter is high on the list (as in icenut's) - but there follow other things depending on my mood and the "season" (taste changes now and then) - e.g. Stormy weather is great (funny, artistic and emotional at the same time) and Oscar Tango (the one which starts in silence but goes on with music) is very sophisticated.

Orable
09-25-2002, 02:19 PM
From the time I"ve become a serious ice dance fan, and then re-viewing some (unfortunately not all) previous programs, here are some of my faves in no particular order:

Grishuk/Platov

Libertango, for the reasons someone already mentioned above. Great edges, sleek lines, speed speed speed, and a light airy feel to the lifts. This is a really sensual dance, and for me (being Middle Eastern I suppose has something to do with this) dance is supposed to be a sensual, tension-filled experience. Plus, beautiful costumes and great music!

Requiem, truth be told, this is the program that got me interested in dance as a discipline. Haunting music, innovative choreography, and tension tension tension! I loved it...wasn't crazy about Pasha's peroxide blonde, but at least Yevgeny looked good ;)

Last Temptation of Christ or whatever it's called...the Middle Eastern theme. Normally, I can't stand Mid-East themed programs, bc they're usually so stereotypical, but I loved the lifts in this program. And the usual G/P speed, edges and choreography.

Usova/Zhulin

I haven't seen a lot of their programs (silly me, I used to think they're boring!!!) but of the ones I did see Round the Clock Blues has to be my favorite. Again, it's a "dancy" dance, and it has incredibly imaginative lifts. And Maya and Sasha are of course, wonderfully balletic skaters--which surprisingly works really well in a bluesy skate. Her hair killed me though ;)

Anissina/Peizerat

Spanish OD 02 IMO, the best OD this season. This was a real dance, with a deep understanding of the meaning behind each arm, leg and finger movement. Unlike some other teams, I got the sense that A/P were not superficially skating to Spanish music--even before the commentators mentioned (like 17 times in the span of four minutes) that they studied at the National Ballet of Spain, I knew that they'd gotten some 'authentic' choreography. It was stunning, and I liked Marina's hair comb too!

Man in the Iron Mask I agree that this is the program which showcases their tricks and talents.

Romeo and Juliet The program which got me to notice A/P. Mainly, it's nostalgia I feel when I see this program, but I also appreciate the choreography and especially the lifts, all of which I felt were very appropriate within the choreography.

Klimova/Ponomarenko

Romeo and Juliet absolutely one of the most innovative programs I've ever seen in my life. Aside from the great choreography, Marina and Sergei are 'pure' skaters, with wonderful edges and all.

I think that's it for now...

Cheers, Orable

PatC
09-27-2002, 08:47 PM
Elite Syncopations - Wilson & McCall

The best ragtime program ever created. Wonderful straight line footwork - toepicks........wonderful. My favorite part is still where Tracy still sits on his lap during the funky little piano part.

Annenko & Sretenski - Summertime

It was a pro competition.......wonderful music, captured the mood.

Klimova and Ponomarenko -

A waltz, any waltz......;)
I might even watch them do progessives.

Drobizako & Vanagas - Their Deep Forest Freedance. I loved it. I liked the diagonal footwork, and the lifts. I liked how they used the music.

Torvil & Dean - The History of Love - their rhumba from the '94 olympics. And I liked Revolution.

Rahkomo & Kokko - Valse Triste and their Polka to the Addams Family.

Judyith Katie
09-29-2002, 08:30 PM
http://www.plauder-smilies.com/flash.gifMy fav's are Shae and Vic's Seachran, and O Holy Night