View Full Version : What discipline do you skate,and how long have you been doing it?

FSWer
04-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Say I was just wondering.....what discipline of skating do you do,and how long have you been doing it?

Skate@Delaware
04-12-2005, 10:35 AM
:frus:
Adult......
Just passed Adult 3 (with smidgens of freestyle thrown in for good scare)
Been skating in lessons for a bit over a year (not skated more than 20-30 times as a kid).

Mrs Redboots
04-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Also adult - dance, this time, at pre-Bronze level. For longer than I care to mention.... plus I also skate Artistic/Interpretive at the basic level.

Scarlett
04-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Adult....freestyle....13 months

flying~camel
04-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Freestyle:
As a teenager - 5 yrs
As an adult - 3 yrs

Dance:
As a teenager - 1 yr

CoolbugSuz
04-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Adult here too. Been taking group lessons, passed Adult 4 last time, and now I'm in Freestyle 1. I'm going to start taking private lessons from my instructor though, as he has been able to share helpful tips that all my previous instructors have not, thereby making the learning curve a little easier. :)

Suz

skatemex
04-12-2005, 06:42 PM
I do freestyle.
I started with skating lessons on november of 2003, now I'm working on single jumps except axel up to lutz loop toe combo and camel spin, sit spin, backspin, etc

TashaKat
04-13-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm not skating at the moment :cry: I would like to go back to it but I don't have the time or the money and my local rink isn't exactly geared up towards adult skaters :cry:

I did Free and Dance, Free for about 7 years and Dance for about 5.5 years with a brief (couple of months) foray into Pairs and Synchro.

WHEN I manage to come back to skating I will still do Free and Dance :)

jazzpants
04-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Adult Pre-Bronze freestyle STILL... after 5 years 10 months!!! :frus: GRRRRRR!!! :evil: (Plus, I skated as a kid for two years... public sessions though. No lessons or anything though.)

Kristin
04-13-2005, 12:07 PM
I've been skating for 6 yrs:

FS/Moves/Dance: 5 yrs
(Passed Bronze FS, Pre-Juv moves, and Bronze dances)
Synchro: 1 year with Team Elan

Am now just working on my Pre-Silver dances!
-Kristin

cmgale
04-13-2005, 03:08 PM
skated much to long here... about 11 years competitively in singles and pairs :giveup:

phoenix
04-13-2005, 03:19 PM
I do ice dance. I've been skating 10 years (that's including the group classes I took when I started). I worked on dance for 3 years, then took 5 years off, and now I've been back at it for 2 years! So a total of 5 yeasr of dance, with a five year break in the middle! :lol:

I'm testing my last silver dance (hopefully for the last time!!) next month.

I also started on my moves tests a year ago, & I'm working on Intermediate. Hate that back power 3 end pattern--a LOT!! :frus:

PattyP
04-13-2005, 04:08 PM
A little over 7 years taking lessons as an adult. I did some public session skating as a kid, but no classes.

I compete Freestyle at the Gold level (1st year at gold).

yorkie
04-13-2005, 04:59 PM
I skate Freestyle

I have been skating about 3 years now, im working towards my passport and i've done about 4 programmes. I do group lessons and i also have private lessons with my coach.

Hannah xXx

Melzorina
04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure what discipline, I'm guessing freestyle...I've been skating for
around about 1 year, 4 months and 10 days! (And 14 hours and 58 minutes to be precise).

Yorkie, are you from the UK?

jestemkkool
04-13-2005, 05:56 PM
I have been skating freestyle for two years(traditional test track) and have been doing Adult Intro Synchronized skating since december(I am too old for intermediate and not high enough of mitf for junior)

luna_skater
04-13-2005, 08:30 PM
19 years of skating...

14 years of synchro.
8 years CanSkate/CanFigure
1 year of dance (completed gold)
1.5 years skills (working on gold)

Terri C
04-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Like Jazzpants, I have been in Pre- Bronze Purgatory long enough (I'm getting a BAD seven year itch!) This is with 4, yes 4 retries on the Bronze free :frus: , (I haven't done moves, yet, so)! Gimme the tests, already !

CanAmSk8ter
04-14-2005, 08:36 AM
I've done everything but pairs. 1 year of synchro, probably about 8 of freestyle, and I think 7 or 8 of dance, plus 2 or 3 of figures.

Just curious- is there a reason we have to have so many of these kinds of threads? There is a search function, so anyone who really needs to know could do a search and find one of the older versions of this thread.

NickiT
04-14-2005, 10:06 AM
I started skating 13 years ago but have had time out due to pregnancies, injuries etc. I only started skating really seriously once my youngest started at nursery school 4-5 years ago when I was able to dedicate more time to the ice. I've passed my NISA Level 2 Elements and Free tests and am just about ready to take Level 3 but in no hurry since that'll probably be my limit as an adult. I've also passed my Inter-Bronze Field Moves Test and am working towards the Bronze test but can't see it ever happening as these field moves are so difficult!

Nicki

yorkie
04-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Yorkie, are you from the UK?

Hiya, yup im for the UK. what about you?

Hannah xXx

ice-princess
04-14-2005, 11:16 AM
i've been skating for 8 years. 2 years synchro and 6 years freestyle.
And im only on doubles. Still.

BTW- im a uk buddy too! :lol:

Melzorina
04-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Hiya, yup im for the UK. what about you?

Hannah xXx

Yea, me too! It's just that you mentioned working towards your passport, so am I! I'm just waiting for my instructor to get me one!

Melzorina
04-14-2005, 02:03 PM
i've been skating for 8 years. 2 years synchro and 6 years freestyle.
And im only on doubles. Still.

BTW- im a uk buddy too! :lol:

ONLY on doubles?

ONLY?!?!?

lol! :lol:

CoolbugSuz
04-14-2005, 02:17 PM
LOL Melz...I was thinking the same thing! :roll:

yorkie
04-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Yea, me too! It's just that you mentioned working towards your passport, so am I! I'm just waiting for my instructor to get me one!

where do you skate? yeah, I still need to get my passport, I ordered one just never actually went to collect it. I think I need to remind my coach to get me one again.

Im still only on singles, but then again I am a chicken when it comes to jumping so thats probably why.

Hannah xXx

*JennaD*
04-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Well I'm doing freestyle...but I only tested prelim elements! lol! I've been doing if for about 3 year I think...

I'm also doing preliminary skills (as of two weeks ago!) and I'm working on the Willow Waltz for dance...which Is the last dance in the Jr Bronze level I think? I started dance last year so this is my second year doing it :) .

iskatealot
04-17-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm also doing preliminary skills (as of two weeks ago!) and I'm working on the Willow Waltz for dance...which Is the last dance in the Jr Bronze level I think? I started dance last year so this is my second year doing it :) .

Yep you are on the last Jr Bronze Dance. All I can say is dont be too eager on your next two dances. Everyone LOVES the Ten Fox and Fourteen step, but then you pass them fast and get stuck FOREVER on the European. Which is not hte most fun dance ever........Im sure you all agree....

luna_skater
04-17-2005, 05:29 PM
For me the European was fun once I got the hang of it. The American on the other hand, was the European on acid. I HATED it. It is by far my least favourite dance!

icecatepairs
04-17-2005, 10:41 PM
started freestyle in 1998 but lost 2 years (not in a row) to broken ankles) one each. so i have been doing singles for 7 years and pairs for 10 months.
first nationals as a bronze in 2000, did championship gold and gold pairs in kansas.

CanAmSk8ter
04-18-2005, 08:39 AM
For me the European was fun once I got the hang of it. The American on the other hand, was the European on acid. I HATED it. It is by far my least favourite dance!

I could not agree more!

Kit kat
04-19-2005, 10:12 PM
uhm.. preteen- little over a year.
freestyle 3ish.

florence
04-21-2005, 12:40 PM
I skated freestyle for 11 years. from when I was 6 years old to 17 now it's about 3 years that I have stopped (I'm 20 ) but I'm thinking about coming back next season in freestyle because I miss it ;-)

doubletoe
04-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Freestyle, and I've skated a total of 8 years, but with a 5-year gap in between. I started my first skating class at 27, skated twice a week for almost 5 years, then quit for 5 years. I came back to the ice 3 years ago and finally started getting serious with private lessons and testing and also put together my first program. I spent a year at Bronze, then passed my Silver FS test in January last year. I'm hoping to pass my Gold tests and move up by December (fingers crossed!).

dancergirl
04-21-2005, 01:22 PM
hiya
Thought I should introduce myself and here seemed as good a place as any! :)
I'm another one from the UK.
I have my level 4 elements and Free (hoping to do my first attempt at level 5 in august) and I am doing my bronze field moves at the same time. Landing doubles again at last! Yay. Have had a few years off the ice while I was at uni, but started skating at the age of 9, and am 23 now.
I have level 7 Dance, and love it! only been doing it a year or two.
Been bitten by the skating bug again, and can't stay away from the rink. Need a dance partner though, they are few and far between!
Love and slightly chilly hugs (just in from the rink)
Dancergirl
x x

Francis
04-25-2005, 06:49 AM
I have:

My Gold in freestyle
My Novice in competition

I am skating since 6 years

Casey
04-28-2005, 03:40 AM
I'm 24 years old (*sigh*), live in the Pacific Northwest part of the USA. I skate freestyle, and am currently working on Freestyle 3. I've been skating about 6 months (started on 6 November 2004).

windsor
04-29-2005, 09:46 AM
I've been skating for about 6-7 years - and, this is so pathetic I hardly want to say it, am only at the pre-preliminary level. (I'm trying to go both tracks, adult and the regular track). I've worked for a couple of years on the preliminary moves and actually think that I could probably test them soon - those 3-turns on the line took me forever to get and they still aren't great. Also, my power 3s. I don't know if I'll EVER get pre-bronze. You have to do a back scratch for that test, don't you?

I have taken a few months off here and there for various reasons. And, actually, I guess I "officially" stopped skating last July due to personal and professional reasons, as in, I stopped getting lessons, but I've been back on the ice since then (after thinking I'd never go back again!).

I'm going to be moving soon and I am very much hoping it is to somewhere near a rink.

I'm also worried about trying to find a new coach. My last coach was not, um, very supportive of adult skaters (which means me, because I was her only adult student). She is a good coach technically, though, which is very important. You don't want to learn bad technique. But, at the same time, I would like a coach who takes me and my skating a little more seriously. Yes, I want it to be fun, but I want to improve and test and have programs and maybe compete one day. I'm not sure my coach always quite got that. But, my choices are limited in my location and, to be honest, at least she showed up for my lessons, which is more than I can say for a couple of others I tried to take lessons from.