View Full Version : The SLC Competitions/Exhibitions on DVD

CMc
08-10-2002, 08:37 PM
I just got them yesterday, and on my player it looks quite awesome!
What a colorful show the whole thing was, and even though you don't see everybody, if you taped the coverage already, you still have most of everything anyway.
My only real criticism is that the menu does not give you a option to choose chapters. The chapters are broken down on the Competition disc, but each discipline was given an entire chapter, while all the performances are separated on the Exhibition disc. No extras either, but that's not why I got them anyway.
Beth Ruyak narrated--She made an obvious error when she talked about Todd Eldredge (She said he was too ill to compete in the '96 games--There WERE no winter games in '96! LOL!)
There's also a commercial at the end with this male ski aerialist that has a very current-looking blonde 'do, but I don't know who he is.
I think they kind of made the DVD's as an afterthought because it looks like they were packaged in such short-order (No inserts or anything) and when they do the legal credit in the beginning as is common for home video releases, it says "...this videocassette...", so it seems they did very little to prepare the shows for DVD (There's even a little technical glitch during B&S's short program), but they still look really nice.

Xiaoxue
08-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Hi CMc,

how many skaters/teams do you get to see in each discipline?

Also, how did you order your copy of the DVD?

Thanks.

x.x.

CMc
08-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Xiaoxue
Hi CMc,

how many skaters/teams do you get to see in each discipline?

Also, how did you order your copy of the DVD?

Thanks.

x.x.

Hi!
I bought the DVD's at FYE here in CT. There was only one copy of each left.
They only give you the top contenders. For the pairs, oddly enough you see both long and short programs for the 2 top pairs (B&S and S&P) and I&Z's long program in it's entirety, and they just show you bits and pieces of S&Z's stuff, and a brief wrap-up of the controversy up to that point.
For the men, you only see the complete long programs of Plushenko, Yagudin, and Goebel, and bits and pieces of their shorts. (Programs! :lol: )
For the Ice Dance, you only see the complete free dances of A&P and L&A, and bits and pieces of the other top people (Not even B&K's complete free dance was featured).
And the ladies programs in their entirety are all the longs (Sarah, Sasha, Michelle & Irina) plus the famous scream and a little of the medal ceremony.
In case your interested, the exhibition DVD consists of Sasha, Timothy, S&P, Michelle, Irina, Alexei, L&A, Plushenko, Sarah's 2 programs at the gala, A&P, B&S, a little tiny tidbit of Todd Eldredge's program, and the 2 pairs death-spiraling during the finale.

If you're having problems trying to get these on either disc or tape, I would contact the address on the box:

Ten Mayflower Productions
2001 W. Main St., Suite 255
Stamford, CT 06902
Phone: (203) 324-5200

Good luck. I think it's worth it to have them even if you've taped everything that's been televised.

Xiaoxue
08-12-2002, 09:55 AM
I don't think i'll get it though. My video tape is not as good quality, obviously, but i have a lot more content.

Thanks for the details, CMc.

CMc
08-12-2002, 09:23 PM
The 1998 Nagano DVD's are very interesting!
They actually went through the trouble of making it so that you can watch these perfomances at different angles (using your angle key on the remote). Also of interest is an early performance by Alexei Yagudin during the exhibitions (It was a hip-hop number that was much more indicative of Illya Kulik). I just got those today, and I believe they're still available.