View Full Version : Judging scandal not reported in Russia according to Elena

Tania
04-04-2002, 02:07 PM
In Windsor, Ontario today for Skate the Nation, a Windsor Star article by Mary Catton states that the Pairs's judging scandal was never reported in the Russian press. In fact, said Bereznaya, she and Anton are considered the only pairs gold medallists at the Olympics.

Has the Russian Press forgotten about the Internet? LOL!

sk8crazy
04-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Is this article on the internet somewhere? I would like to read it. I'm kind of sorry that I opened this thread. That special had me feeling all warm and fuzzy about the whole thing. I have constructed an imaginary world where they have become fast friends who spend all their free time riding around together on two bicycles made for two, all wearing their gold medals. :P :wink:

I did read some coverage of the judging scandal though on a few of the Russian newspaper sites. I fed them through babelfish but the French judges name was there unless there is a common Russian word that just happens to translate to her name. I don't know how the broadcast media treated it.

I don't doubt at all that the Russian people consider them the only gold medalists, but in my imaginary world neither side would ever say they were the only ones, or the only "real" ones.

loveskating
04-04-2002, 06:33 PM
I suspect she meant that the Russian people do not buy the story about the French judge...because there were articles, even in the on-line versions of Moscow Times, which I read sometimes.

Also, I have a friend at work who is Russian, loves figure skating, and she said when she called home that week, her relatives (she is from Moscow) were really upset, even afraid for her. They all felt that the Americans were bashing Russians as people, that the "cold war" was back on...so clearly, if her relatives, who are just ordinary people, knew about it, most Russians probably did.